Change Drive Owner

lost_in_space

i installed mepis 3.3 on my laptop. mostly works great, recognized all my hardware, got azureus up and going, i can listen to the radio. it's really no different than xp except i get it for free (okay, i get xp almost free). it's doing the dual boot thing fine, but i really don't find any need to use xp on it.

i partitioned my drive with one partition for the os, one for the swap drive, and one for data. but in order to copy or move stuff to my data drive, i have to log in as root. can i change that? can i change the drive owner to my user name? i'd like to make it easier and i can't figure out how to do it. it's the kde desktop, can i do it from there? or do i have to type in some commands? i bet this has something to do with the security thing that linux is so good at.

got any suggestions? i tried the mepis website, but didn't find what i needed.

i installed mepis 3.3 on my laptop. mostly works great, recognized all my hardware, got azureus up and going, i can listen to the radio. it's really no different than xp except i get it for free (okay, i get xp almost free). it's doing the dual boot thing fine, but i really don't find any need to use xp on it.

i partitioned my drive with one partition for the os, one for the swap drive, and one for data. but in order to copy or move stuff to my data drive, i have to log in as root. can i change that? can i change the drive owner to my user name?  i'd like to make it easier and i can't figure out how to do it. it's the kde desktop, can i do it from there? or do i have to type in some commands? i bet this has something to do with the security thing that linux is so good at.

hi'

the /root folder can be accessed and can't be written as other login name ... root is protected!

that's what we(linux users) appreciate :o

what are the permission of the partition data?

what is the letter of the data partition (hde? hdf?)

in order to be able to read/write any folder you need to have permission, set by ROOT.

login as root, and set permission folder by folder ... carefull with set gid ...

to read write and execute, the permission has to be set to for it :D

look carefully ...where is your /home partition?

is it in the /root one as a folder?

don't move it ...

have you been asked during install what was the mounting point of your data partition?

it should have been /home ... and then get all you want from it except writing on the /root one :D

give me more details for more helps :D

partition table

folders (BIN, ETC, USR, VAR) where are they?

and kernel number ..as well as hardware config ...

thanks

francois

thanks francois,

wow, that's not as easy as i thought.

i'm away from my laptop (and thailand) for a couple more weeks, i'll have to get back to you later with the info.

the security thing seems to be a double edged sword. more secure = more inconvenient. still, if it keeps the trojans away...

thanks francois,

wow, that's not as easy as i thought.

i'm away from my laptop (and thailand) for a couple more weeks, i'll have to get back to you later with the info.

the security thing seems to be a double edged sword. more secure = more inconvenient. still, if it keeps the trojans away...

hi'

right, more secure means more actions to take in order to be effective.

we used to believe that an antivirus and a firewall would protect us and that we can be cool and without worries ... believe it if you like :o

with Linux, you see right away that security isn't a joke ...

it's the heart of the system, configuring a linux system is possible but not so easy and never or quite never "works fine" at first shot as we used to see with windows.

so, have to learn a bit and then feel really secure, it's not only a few clicks, it's a few hours to understand the way IP Chains works and why have to configure IP Tables or else this way and not the way we previouly thought ...

Linux is a learning way ...

windows is a user way ...

choose your camp my friend :D

or use both and be happy *__^

francois

• 2 months later...

i partitioned my drive with one partition for the os, one for the swap drive, and one for data. but in order to copy or move stuff to my data drive, i have to log in as root. can i change that? can i change the drive owner to my user name?  i'd like to make it easier and i can't figure out how to do it. it's the kde desktop, can i do it from there? or do i have to type in some commands? i bet this has something to do with the security thing that linux is so good at.

You have two problems here.

First, only root can mount a partition or drive to access the files on it. You might be able to get around that by using automount and having the data drive automagically mount at boot.

Second, Mepis is a "live cd" distro. Even when you tell it to install to the hard drive it is still not quite a normal system. One of the things that frequently goes wonky is permissions. Permissions are what make you have to be root to mount a drive, for example, or write a file, read a file, execute (run) a file. I would seriously recommend trying a distro that is NOT live cd based. But at least you had the sense to go Debian based!!!

And third, you don't have to log in as root to mount and use the data drive. Use the sudo or su commands in a terminal window to do things as root while you are logged in as a normal user. Be sure to exit when you are done being su.

hi'

ha, command line and su+password :D

there is no way around ... or hours of "BHoOuuu" ASPIRIN! please :o

supermount was done for this purpose ...

a lot of distro turned back to supermount, Unix doesn't allow you to take off a cd if not unmonted first, security :D (as insert and read without mount it first)

so, for you... use supermount with permission for users only and no guid!

imho, use Suse or Debian, you'll be much happier :D

francois

Edited by francois