The Things I Love About Los

lingnoi1977

This is a light-hearted look at the things that make my wife (Thai national) and I laugh about some of the LOS idiosyncracies, customs, cultural differences. You can add some of your observations but please remember to be respectful at all times.

1. Golf - Caddies are compulsory at most good golf courses. Caddy fee and tip costs more than membership itself :)

2. Asking directions - ever asked a Thai person directions to somewhere? Did you get more lost after the half hour discussion on life in general?

3. Haggling at the market - many times we have witnessed a funny situation at night bazaars/markets:

Buyer: "how much for 2 keyrings?" Vendor: "40 baht each." Buyer: "How much for 100 keyrings?" Vendor: "40 baht." :D

4. Property for sale - why is it that there are so many properties for sale in this country at pre-'97 prices? Why do they remain on the market for so long? Why do people hold out for their price for 2 years rather than turn the property into cash when a "reasonable" offer comes in? Why do they wait until the walls have just about peeled away from their foundations?

5. Property for rent - We have seen countless properties for rent for more than 1 year usually because the owner will not accept anything lower than the stated price. In my world, I would be happy to drop a few thousand baht to secure a long term tennant. Vacant property for 12 months = no income vs rented property for 12 months = income... ummmm :D

6. Your local cafe/restaurant - we think it is hilarious that you can go to your local for about 3 months and order the same thing time after time. The one time you go in and dont specify the details of what you want, making the terrible assumption that they might remember, you will get something completely different. It is as though there is no attempt to recognise regular customers, or just a general slepiness?

7. Nightlife & entertainment - In a country where there is so much night activity and entertainment it is rather strange how TV chanels are sensored both with language and visuals. :D

Educational and humorous posts welcome with respect please.

One of the things I love is the quizzical looks all around when a surly farang makes a completely inappropriate comment just to antagonize another who is speaking politely.

Thais never do this, hence their inability to understand just plain old mean-spirited snipes.

For example, consider Ai Soutpeel's remark in post #2.

Feeling embarrassed for the twit, I always tell the surprised Thais that the guy's colostomy bag must be leaking. So "face is saved" and everyone is happy.

One of the things I love is the quizzical looks all around when a surly farang makes a completely inappropriate comment just to antagonize another who is speaking politely.

Thais never do this, hence their inability to understand just plain old mean-spirited snipes.

For example, consider Ai Soutpeel's remark in post #2.

Feeling embarrassed for the twit, I always tell the surprised Thais that the guy's colostomy bag must be leaking. So "face is saved" and everyone is happy.

I love the helpful tips that you get here.

I'm sure I'll use that regularly, particularly to explain my own ill-humour at meetings that are dragging on too long...

I love the way that polite conversation, sarcasm and stupidity just seem to blend seamlessly together, but I find that the same where ever I go.

SC

the look of shock and utter amazement when a group of thais have been talking about you for the last half an hour, for you to then turn around and say "farang phud thai dai" :)

But they usually know that is the limit of your Thai language.

the look of shock and utter amazement when a group of thais have been talking about you for the last half an hour, for you to then turn around and say "farang phud thai dai" :)

on the contrary dear "kwai" :D

Well, I thought Andy's point was gently entertaining, and I think that his "you" was meant "one" - first person inclusive, rather than second person singular - same as Tigerfish' "you".

Being a man of modesty fitting the bounds of my talents, I prefer to tell them I don't speak Thai, and let them guess the limits of my ability and arrogance. I'd like to be able to ask them to speak slower... maybe that can be next week's phrase.

Unfortunately, I missed the double meanings in the final insulting "kwai", so I didn't find that funny at all, and you'll need to explain that, to make it humourous to most of us. Otherwise, it just looks rude.

SC

Well, I thought Andy's point was gently entertaining, and I think that his "you" was meant "one" - first person inclusive, rather than second person singular - same as Tigerfish' "you".

Being a man of modesty fitting the bounds of my talents, I prefer to tell them I don't speak Thai, and let them guess the limits of my ability and arrogance. I'd like to be able to ask them to speak slower... maybe that can be next week's phrase.

Unfortunately, I missed the double meanings in the final insulting "kwai", so I didn't find that funny at all, and you'll need to explain that, to make it humourous to most of us. Otherwise, it just looks rude.

SC

o.k. just for you SC.

firstly though, your telling me after how many months, years of staying in the los, youve never heard the word "kwai or khwai".

it means buffalo and is used by most thais as either an insult or in a joking sence when people are having a difference of opinion. not easy to explain over the internet.

but, usually when it is used though the person on the recieving end may reply with the word "bahh" the same way we as farangs would in a friendly bit of banter.(you know, that thing called having a laugh)

i used it to make the point of not only having a slightly more extented vocabulary than what andy capps was stating, but also in a joking sence to see if he knew what the word meant.

im sorry and apologise to andy if any offence was taken from my reply.

happy now SC?

jeez!

and before any of you start giving me the third degree on the use of the word, whether its rude or not. its used quite a lot in my thai family here in bangkok. not one member of the family gets offended by the use of the word and we all have a good old laugh. when certain members start a bit of light banter between one and other.

Edited by tigerfish

so many experts on thai culture at thai visa. :)

Yes...The OAP's in both Chang Mai and Issan, sit at home and study Thai culture when their wives leave for work at noon and don't return till after mid-night.....they need something to fill the time.. :D

soutpeel, you are a card!

Things that tickle me still include the uncommoness of common sense and common courtesy.

I love the drivers who when in the wrong look at you like you are in the wrong simple for not being Thai.

I also love the pedestrain right of way assumption. Its like they all think they were raised in LA. and I don't mean Roi Et.

I love the way the concept of queue is not applicable and the way this is honoured by the staff who can clearly see you've been stood in line waiting when some twunt jumps through the door and demands a pack of Fags ( british meaning, to clarify for the ex colonials).

Oh, the list could go on and on... but which of us is perfect, eh?

The things I love about the glorious "Land 'O Thais" and its resident population of ever smiling, yet diminutive, indigenous natives, hmmmm. :D

Lemme try a sensible answer as the O/P said to keep this light :D

Let's see. .. :)

The things I love about thailand would be LESS AND LESS EVERY FRICKIN' DAY I'VE BEEN HERE. .. :D

8>< NESTED QUOTE DELETED - IT WASN'T THAT CLEVER ANYWAY ><8

o.k. just for you SC.

firstly though, your telling me after how many months, years of staying in the los, youve never heard the word "kwai or khwai".

it means buffalo and is used by most thais as either an insult or in a joking sence when people are having a difference of opinion. not easy to explain over the internet.

but, usually when it is used though the person on the recieving end may reply with the word "bahh" the same way we as farangs would in a friendly bit of banter.(you know, that thing called having a laugh)

i used it to make the point of not only having a slightly more extented vocabulary than what andy capps was stating, but also in a joking sence to see if he knew what the word meant.

im sorry and apologise to andy if any offence was taken from my reply.

happy now SC?

jeez!

and before any of you start giving me the third degree on the use of the word, whether its rude or not. its used quite a lot in my thai family here in bangkok. not one member of the family gets offended by the use of the word and we all have a good old laugh. when certain members start a bit of light banter between one and other.

I was familiar with the 'buffalo' meaning of 'kwai', but I am sure that there are other 'kwai' words, possibly with very minor transliteration differences, and differences in tone, which could give rise to humour. Perhaps one of them could have been interpreted as a stinging barb by those in the know. Perhaps it still can... I don't know - do you?

I think that calling Andy a buffalo was not appropriate; his comment was quite clever, I thought, and definitely not the mark of someone who can placidly proceed through a full day of tedium, abuse, toil and - a word for a prolonged period of standing in the unbearable heat of the mid-day sun (maybe I forget a word of English for every word of Thai I learn) - anyway, go through all that without any complaint other than the occasional fertilising dump. But I am sorry - I should have metioned that my Thai was not good enough to find it humorous, or offensive. In English, we rarely see people use such pleasant and complimentary abuse; I assume Thais see buffalo in a fairly generous light.

Anyway, like a good buffalo, I see Andy let's the birds peck his fleas, instead of trying to scratch them himself

It's turned out nice and sunny again here,

SC

The things I love about the glorious "Land 'O Thais" and its resident population of ever smiling, yet diminutive, indigenous natives, hmmmm. :D

Lemme try a sensible answer as the O/P said to keep this light :D

Let's see. .. :)

The things I love about thailand would be LESS AND LESS EVERY FRICKIN' DAY I'VE BEEN HERE. .. :D

No one is making you stay. Why bother replying to a thread called" the things I love" when you don't love anything.

I love lots of things but as I stay here longer I forget how much I love them.

do u just sit by the computer all day or what.

Yes....I get paid to sit by the computer all day... :)

I wish I got paid to sit by the computer every day like "Soutpeel". ...

I might like it here more if I did. :D

do u just sit by the computer all day or what.

Yes....I get paid to sit by the computer all day... :)

Get back to work, you shiftless time-waster... Nose down, knuckles to the grindstone,

SC

post-60794-1274699472_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Illustration added for irony

Edited by StreetCowboy

Things that amuse me about Thailand

1. The way Thais can look at a problem and come up with a solution that makes absolutely no sense to a westerner.

2. The fact that nothing ever turns out the way you planned it.

3. 12 smiling faces in the back of 1 pickup.

4. A 1 tonne pickup loaded with 3 tonnes of pineapples parked of the side of the road with a broken axle.

5. 4 smiling faces on a 100cc scooter.

6. Bus conductors directing traffic from a moving bus.

7. The escalator at Suvanaphumi airport that says "End of the war"

8. The way tuk tuk drivers always wave at me with one finger pointing up, it's like some reflex reaction.

Things that amuse me about Thailand

1. The way Thais can look at a problem and come up with a solution that makes absolutely no sense to a westerner.

2. The fact that nothing ever turns out the way you planned it.

3. 12 smiling faces in the back of 1 pickup.

4. A 1 tonne pickup loaded with 3 tonnes of pineapples parked of the side of the road with a broken axle.

5. 4 smiling faces on a 100cc scooter.

6. Bus conductors directing traffic from a moving bus.

7. The escalator at Suvanaphumi airport that says "End of the war"

8. The way tuk tuk drivers always wave at me with one finger pointing up, it's like some reflex reaction.

thanks all for trying

and thanks Soutpeel for being trying

:)

The FOOD! The intensity and variation of the flavours, eating outside, eating like a king, discovering new dishes, being surprised that something that looks anything but is actually bloody delicious, eating things i never thought i would and loving it, smiling at how often i hear Thai's talking about food or see them watching cooking programs, how many times a day some of them seem to eat. The disappointment on their faces when something is "Mai Aroi", the stern "som tum pet" face of concentration when it's super spicy, fresh fruit, seasonal fruit and picking fruit from a tree. Ice cold drinks on a hot day, being served food through the window of a train, being served tasty food on a train, making barbecues on the beach, barbecues at home, going to Bangkok and eating western food for the first time in a while, cheapish Japanese food, watching my friends/family pretend to enjoy something i've cooked. Going to the market. The small window of opportunity between a macaam being sour and sweet when they are on the turn and taste like fizzy cola bottle sweets from back home but without the chemicals. Being laughed at because i'm visibly not that comfortable eating on the floor (can't really cross my legs properly), eating anything that is Yum flavoured, especially Yum Pla Slit with thai sausage, barbecued chicken liver, crab curry, and eating the fish i just caught.

P.S. i'm not obese or anything i just love the food here.

Edited by easethesqueeze

I was reading back through the previous posts, to try and get a feel for the thread, and I was struck by the bad-tempered fellow shouting "LESS AND LESS" and he's absolutely right.

Its lovely the way that so many of Thailand's charms can be appreciated so quickly by the idle visitor, whereas to suffer the problems, you really need to dig deeper, and root around. For the people that want problems, I strongly advise trying to do things your own way, just as you would in your home country.

I suppose what I have been most pleasantly surprised about, in the too-few years I've been here, is the generosity and helpfulness of strangers, though I am not sure that this is necessarily a uniquely Thai phenomenon

SC

The FOOD! The intensity and variation of the flavours, eating outside, eating like a king, discovering new dishes, being surprised that something that looks anything but is actually bloody delicious, eating things i never thought i would and loving it, smiling at how often i hear Thai's talking about food or see them watching cooking programs, how many times a day some of them seem to eat. The disappointment on their faces when something is "Mai Aroi", the stern "som tum pet" face of concentration when it's super spicy, fresh fruit, seasonal fruit and picking fruit from a tree. Ice cold drinks on a hot day, being served food through the window of a train, being served tasty food on a train, making barbecues on the beach, barbecues at home, going to Bangkok and eating western food for the first time in a while, cheapish Japanese food, watching my friends/family pretend to enjoy something i've cooked. Going to the market. The small window of opportunity between a macaam being sour and sweet when they are on the turn and taste like fizzy cola bottle sweets from back home but without the chemicals. Being laughed at because i'm visibly not that comfortable eating on the floor (can't really cross my legs properly), eating anything that is Yum flavoured, especially Yum Pla Slit with thai sausage, barbecued chicken liver, crab curry, and eating the fish i just caught.

P.S. i'm not obese or anything i just love the food here.