My Uk Passport Is Due To Expire

hi,

My uk passport is due to expire and i'm wondering at what time and where to re-new it.

it's due to expire in may 2011 .

can i still travel to burma and laos during the last 6 months for visa runs etc ?

maybe i need 6 months remaining to get another tourist visa ?

i'm also thinking of returning to uk sometime and would prefer to re-new it there but would i have to do it before nov. 2010 ?

i've had a look and found his info :

worldtravels.com

it says something about uk just requiring a valid passport for duration of stay ?

if i just book a one way ticket to uk i should be fine entering england but i'm worried i wont be able to get on the plane..

if i apply to extend my passport in nov. 2010 would i get 10 years from then or ten years from the expiry date in may2011 ?

i'm probably going to change from tourist visa to non imm O sometime in the future but i'd prefer to do that on my new passport,

i've been living in chiang mai for a year and have used 12 pages in my passport for that - if i get a non imm type O i assume i wont need as many pages and visa runs etc ? maybe i should get a 48 page passport ?

if i renew my passport in thailand what happens to my existing visa ? does it get transferred to new passport or will i have to re-apply ?

any advice greatly appreciated,

chris

:)

Edited by 7by7
Link to another forum removed, please see tis forum's rules.

I think your post is a repeat of an old post. I am stating the obvious in that once the passport expires you can renew it.

But if you are in Thailand and your passport expires, any visa is no longer valid, and you are in Thailand without a valid passport. You would be detained until the matter is cleared up, no matter where you are, even at airport departures.

10 years starts from the date of passport issue, although mine is 11 years and a few days, it may be they are trying to round up the dates.

I got my passport at British embassy Bangkok, I think it took about a week.

Take old and new passports to Thai immigration and they transfer Thai visa from old to new passport free of charge.

All the answers to your questions can be found on the UK embassy Thailand site.

I would also point out that you cannot renew a UK passport in Thailand as advised in another post.

You have to apply to the Uk passport office in Hongkong.

The embassy site in Bangkok will give you all the information you require.

you should check with the UK embassy in Thailand, or its website concerning the validity. On the norm, the over 6 month does apply

for international traveling. Usually the question would be asked by the airlines upon purchasing your ticket.

"if i apply to extend my passport in nov. 2010 would i get 10 years from then or ten years from the expiry date in may2011 ?"

the day the passport is renewed is the (application date i.e. May 24th, 2010), and not the expiry date of existing PP of Nov.2010.

hi ,

thx for pointing me in the right direction,

looks like i can re-new it upto 9 months before it expires and sending it to hong kong (that 9 months gets added onto the 10 years).

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for...nals/passports/

i've sent an enquiry about travel in the last 6 months but doubtful i will get a reply for a while.

air asia terms say no to international and such travellers need a return or onward ticket ?

maybe if i book a one-way and because i'm returning to home country they may let me check-in ?

air asia had some cheap flights for jan2011 but i'm too late and maybe too risky anyway.

i'll probably just renew passport from here and pay the extra.

thx again,

chris