Suggestions For Injury Induced Swelling

gguy

i fell on my side. no broken bones.

my shoulder, arm, and part of my hand are double normal size.

it has been three days since the fall.

been using rest and ice treatments suggested by hospital.

any other suggestions to reduce the swelling?

thanks

RICE treatment (Rest, Elevation and Ice) is the first line but may not completely prevent swelling.

From day 3, if swelling and redness persists, in the presence of broken skin, local infection may be a reason. This is usually accompanied by increased redness and oozing from wounds.

If no broken skin, some anti-inflammatory medication such as Voltarem or Ibuprofen may also help.

Be alert for any numbness, discoloration or pins and needles sensation in the hand as this may indicate compartment syndrome which would need urgent medical attention.

RICE treatment (Rest, Elevation and Ice) is the first line but may not completely prevent swelling.

From day 3, if swelling and redness persists, in the presence of broken skin, local infection may be a reason. This is usually accompanied by increased redness and oozing from wounds.

If no broken skin, some anti-inflammatory medication such as Voltarem or Ibuprofen may also help.

Be alert for any numbness, discoloration or pins and needles sensation in the hand as this may indicate compartment syndrome which would need urgent medical attention.

excellent advice. hand has also swollen. now in third day of accident. i think swelling has maxed. now turned black and blue.

able to rotate shoulder with swelling limits. no problems with hand motion or feeling. will go to hospital if any numbness.

had similar accident 20 years ago. same pattern of swelling. i just swell more than the average person. swelling peaked on third or fourth day and then took about three weeks to completely disappear.

just hoping if any new drugs had been developed.

If the pain/swelling and limitation of movement persists, have the arm reviewed for fractures; especially the humerus.

Falling on the side may have caused a spiral fracture along the shaft which, if just a crack, may not show up on X-rays taken immediately after the fall but will show up after a week or 10 days.

You gave no details of how the accident happened so difficult to estimate of the force involved could have caused a fracture but keep it in mind. It does seem an awful lot of swelling for an injury with no bony involvement.

A good relief I came across and use is a Chinese spray called 'Yunnan Baiyou ' , it reduces swelling quite rapidly and reduces the pain , it also works on blood platelets (?) for the bruising .

If the pain/swelling and limitation of movement persists, have the arm reviewed for fractures; especially the humerus.

Falling on the side may have caused a spiral fracture along the shaft which, if just a crack, may not show up on X-rays taken immediately after the fall but will show up after a week or 10 days.

You gave no details of how the accident happened so difficult to estimate of the force involved could have caused a fracture but keep it in mind. It does seem an awful lot of swelling for an injury with no bony involvement.

i think the swelling has maxed. hospital xrayed arm and shoulder. no breaks seen.

i hit the concrete pavement very hard and also fell on concrete curb.

no pain when i am resting. pain getting up and down and walking is much less.

movement and range of motion slightly better but swelling is now limiting movement.

keeping an eye on containment. fingers,wrist, elbow fully mobile with no pain, no pain when i squeeze swollen hand and arm, no pins or needles feeling. swelling in arm above elbow is abating.

hopefully, the swelling will slowly abate. based on prior injuries it will take 3 to 4 to completely resolve the swelling.

still icing the hand and lower arm 5 or 6 times a day.

thanks for all the help. may get some physical therapy in a couple of weeks to help the healing process.