Bitter Thai Red Shirts Promise Further Rallies In North

webfact

Bitter Thai 'Red Shirts' promise further rallies in north

by M. Jegathesan

CHIANG MAI (AFP) -- Frustrated, homeless and bitterly disappointed -- this is the reality for "Red Shirt" Parichart Chanmanee as she returns to her northern hometown after two months of protesting in Bangkok.

The single mother-of-two made the long journey back by bus on Thursday after a deadly military crackdown forced the anti-government movement's leaders to surrender, sparking looting and major arson attacks by hardcore protestors.

As she came home angered by the protest's failure to bring about the government's downfall, the 52-year-old faced another blow: she was homeless, with her belongings thrown out for failing to pay rent while she was away.

Yet Parichart's destitution has not softened her enthusiasm for the Red Shirts' cause -- a campaign, they say, for democracy, justice and equality against the mainly Bangkok-based Thai elites.

"I am happy Bangkok was in flames. Let the rich feel what suffering means. Abhisit must tumble," she said, referring to Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, whose government the Reds say is illegitimate and army-backed.

Thailand is largely split between the Reds, thousands of whom left their heartlands in the rural north and northeast to travel for the Bangkok protests which started in mid-March, and the rival, pro-establishment "Yellow Shirts".

Many of the Reds back Thaksin Shinawatra, the fugitive former premier who was ousted in a 2006 coup, for his populist policies when in power, while Thai elites see him as corrupt, authoritarian and a threat to the revered monarchy.

Sitting by a coffee house in Chiang Mai, Thaksin's birthplace and a popular northern tourist city, Parichart and her friend Saisunee Assawasunthornkul, a 48-year-old fruit juice peddler, explained what they were fighting for.

"We took to the streets to demonstrate our frustration with rising costs of rice, oil and medical charges," said Saisunee.

"The elites are enjoying while the poor are suffering," she added.

Parichart told AFP that she was involved in security at the sprawling protest site that shut down Bangkok's main retail hub for weeks.

"My task was to make sure no weapons were brought into the camps. There was solidarity among us. We were united," she said.

Saisunee meanwhile helped prepare food for the Red Shirts, and she said she sold her motorcycle, television set and a sewing machine to raise the money she needed to afford travel to the capital.

"I miss my friends who slept with me on the roads in Bangkok. It was hard and hot. But we were all equal. We ate the same food, we laughed and we shared our political views. It was rough and tough," she said.

Saisunee said she saw a protester killed by a sniper and sought refuge in the police hospital when she was alerted about Wednesday's impending army crackdown. "I did not want to die," she said.

Despite Oxford-educated Abhisit's call for national reconciliation in the wake of last week's mayhem and the arrest of key leading Red Shirts, the passion of rank-and-file protesters such as Parichart and Saisunee still burns.

Parichart said she was prepared to die to remove the current political elite, adding defiantly that she was "not afraid of the guns" and planning to resume work as a masseuse to save up for future rallies.

"We are excited about returning to Bangkok streets soon," her friend Saisunee said.

"We know our struggle will be a long one. We want a clean government now. We want cheap rice. We want justice for all. There will be a new wave of protests," she added.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-05-24

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to know this woman is happy that poor people in Bangkok (many of whom actually come from the same kind of background as her) have lost their jobs thanks to all the burning she is happy about. Seems nobody is picking up on all the poor that are suffering because of the red arson and violence. There is a big irony in that albeit a sad one. Bnagkok is not full; of only rich people and it is the poor who are suffering most from the attacks through lost work.

Nice to know this woman is happy that poor people in Bangkok (many of whom actually come from the same kind of background as her) have lost their jobs thanks to all the burning she is happy about. Seems nobody is picking up on all the poor that are suffering because of the red arson and violence. There is a big irony in that albeit a sad one. Bnagkok is not full; of only rich people and it is the poor who are suffering most from the attacks through lost work.

I am sorry to say I agree with the woman from Chiang Mai, the Abhisit government is not legitimate, it rorted the normal electoral process.

It is also cynical, shameless and unprincipled. I believe Abhisit's objective is simply to hold on to power and he doesn't much mind at what cost.

Yes, but even those rural folks in Bangkok are Reds. Communism seems like a great idea to them.

She just sounds bitter. So what does she want? Communism? Money? Once she's rich does she fall into the category of people she hates? She blames her own incompetence and stupidity on people who had nothing to do with it. She can swim in her pool of schadenfreude all she wants, for all I care. An attitude like hers in no way helps this country move forward. In fact, it's probably the most counterproductive way to think.

I am sorry to say I agree with the woman from Chiang Mai, the Abhisit government is not legitimate, it rorted the normal electoral process.

It is also cynical, shameless and unprincipled. I believe Abhisit's objective is simply to hold on to power and he doesn't much mind at what cost.

Please explain how they "rorted the normal electoral process"?

It was the red shirts that were trying to take over power, without any care for the cost. The talked violence from the very start to the very end. They pushed the government at every point. They were well armed, and used weapons to kill and injure civilians. Then, when they didn't get what they wanted, they burnt down buildings all over Bangkok.

She just sounds bitter. So what does she want? Communism? Money? Once she's rich does she fall into the category of people she hates? She blames her own incompetence and stupidity on people who had nothing to do with it. She can swim in her pool of schadenfreude all she wants, for all I care. An attitude like hers in no way helps this country move forward. In fact, it's probably the most counterproductive way to think.

Brainwashing in action. Let's hope more translations of what was said by the so-called peaceful democracy fighters are circulated on YouTube. Can only help the lazy journos do their homework a bit more effectively...

Hmmm I wonder who exactly arranged this particular interview?

illiteracy is the main problem here. I don't believe she sold her motor cycle and things to come to bkk. That is a bad move.

If she can topple down the government today, does she think she will have a better life tomorrow? she can buy motorbike the next day? ....

What they failed to understand that the current economy crisis is not only in Thailand, it's world wide.

And they want to come back to Bkk street again...i understand she needs home now, free food.

I really wonder - "bitter" about what, that they didn't win the impossible?

well then I wonder how they feel after the wake up call when they realize they have been

blatantly lead astray.... for money and as shields, public voices for someones power games...

"We are excited about returning to Bangkok streets soon," her friend Saisunee said.

Sorry. THAT isn't going to happen. She and her friends won't get within 100km of Bangkok anytime soon. Promise.

She wants cheap rice. Rice farmers want government subsidies. That's something a government can work with. They didn't exactly make that a visible issue during their occupation.

If she enjoys the comraderie of sleeping street, there are streets up north. Enjoy! Buildings to torch there too. Hope this insane mob stays home from now on, they were the worst house guests in the history of the world!

Edited by Jingthing

I fell so sorry for these people that are so stupid and still have not learned what their movement all about was.

The Democracy is not about individual gain and is all about freedom for all and suffering is part of the process.

But these people suffering is/was only for people like Thaksin who promised the world to them so him and his thugs friends gains the power

All these idiots did was to help the terrorist destroy not only property but the confident in their movement.

I hope the Thai people and military is ready for them so they can’t start the same sh..t

World, outside?

the rural thai have no idea about life outside. Show them a map of the far east and they cant even identify thailand properly let alone the major cities. They dont even understand what a map is - cant visualise.

When I taught in a primary school I realised that they had never seen a world globe before, didn't know what it was, couldn't grasp the idea of a round earth and my thai supervisor advised against this path to knowledge as its never in the curriculum even in high school. This was quite a progressive school as they go btw

She couldn't make up her mind.
"I did not want to die," she said.
Parichart said she was prepared to die to remove the current political elite

Helps to pay attention, the comments were made by two different women.

My Thai wife tells me things back in her village are really bad

No one has any money as their sons and daughter and husbands have no work in the big city and therefore sending nothing home

Sham on these people who just say they rally enjoyed doing this

They are only important to them selves and have no feeling for the real people that are hurting

What they are really after is to see there names in the Press

Self importance

and hopefully some financial future

The poor are nothing but pawns in a method for some to gain gain gain

It sounds like she would be happy with cheap rice.

ENOUGH! Haven't you "redshirts" done enough damage to the country? Where was the peaceful protests? Why could you all not go home and prepare for an election. Was it not political parties that seperated from Puea Thai that installed this government? Where is your hero Thaksin, shopping, looking for more investments / Is there no end to his greed? Edited by cdnvic
Removed one sentence that went a bit too far. Chill out a bit.

Your mind is so clouded you can not see the truth in the fog of your mind

Do you not realise that the PM is only there until the elected MP's say no

He is not a dictator but a PM

OMG: Another newbie member as of yesterday with a whopping 4 posts has morphed into a thai know it all political pundit!!! :)

What rock are these people crawling out from under? Yet another red apologist is spawned, or should that be 'spurned', (one more for the ignore bin). :D

As far as the article goes;

It was my experience during my interactions with the red-rabble people down at Rachaprasong and at the Rama VI monument during the protests; that their level of even the most basic and/or rudimentary understanding of the thai political process, or the events which brought about the TRT/PPP/PTP losing the majority in the Lower House wouldn't begin to fill a frickin' thimble. :D

Any real questions were answered with the pat answer; “you don’t understand thai culture”. :D When I pointed out this was thai politics, NOT culture, they became immediately hostile. And FWIW: I talked to them in perfectly understandable thai, NOT baby talk engrish, ‘2-word-tourst thai’ or ‘horse-peak’.

They listened to the speakers on the stage at Rachaprasong for 8 weeks, and they bought it all hook line and stinker. .. And stink it did, of hate filled, violence inciting, anti-government propaganda.

Can anyone here say, "mindless brain-washed red sock-puppet" in thai?? :D

There's a large condo complex near to where I live,made up of mostly people from Issarn.Since this so called protest began they've been moving out by the bus loads.I can only

presume the reason being that they cannot afford to pay the rent due to loss of jobs.There will always be rich people in whatever part of the world you come from,even

communist parts.The only objective the reds have created is to make the poor poorer,especially the ones that are prepared to work.

Am I right in saying that the reporter is from Malaysia?

I wonder if he's fluent in Thai or needs a local intermediary and translator?

Regards

PS On the apparently contradictory statements, the switching between interviewees is, shall we say, not gracefully handled.

obviously the red rally so far is supported by an information war ! millions grass root farmers at the north are not able to access the correct channels of information, they have one sided information, and of course they listen to what they want to know - their short term benefit.

idea of democracy is not correctly briefed, the global economic issues not known to them. all they know - they loss significant income, in a bad timing of Abhisit government in place.

they are indeed great resources for any anti-government movement, for Mr T's aggressive plans of power ! they are easy to be influenced, easy to be satisfied, and they are loyal too !

anyway, they are nice people IF their direct benefit is not been confronted.

- Frustrated, homeless and bitterly disappointed -- this is the reality for "Red Shirt" Parichart Chanmanee as she returns to her northern hometown after two months of protesting in Bangkok.

The single mother-of-two made the long journey back by bus on Thursday after a deadly military crackdown forced the anti-government movement's leaders to surrender, sparking looting and major arson attacks by hardcore protestors.

As she came home angered by the protest's failure to bring about the government's downfall, the 52-year-old faced another blow: she was homeless, with her belongings thrown out for failing to pay rent while she was away.

Thrown out by whom, obviously not by the rich Bangkok people, must have been her rural Red land owners. :)

She has proven that poverty in Thailand really got to do with the way some Thais think rather than alleged aristocratic system and widespread corruption only.

Why don't she, Red sympathizers, and leftists ever take a look at ethnic Chinese and Sikh minorities as to why their living standards are way better than most Thais? Chinese and Indians immigrated to this country without a penny or knowledge about spoken Thai and started out negative while at least Thais had got fertile land to begin with.

I am afraid schooling/education is not all the solution to Thailand problems. It's the Thai mentality in which Thais as serfs (Phrai) seek patronage from someone powerful (Ammart). They are not emancipating but enslaving themselves. Then blame their self-made ordeal on others.

Edited by Rideau

What is democracy? Thaksin? Nobody says no to this evil greedy man. It's always "Yes Boss".

"But we were all equal. We ate the same food, we laughed and we shared our political views"

Just the leader were more equal.....hotel room, good food, even VIP toilet with Aircon....

IQ where are you???