Sarcasm

alobar

I am from the land of sarcasm. (Seems to be de rigueur on this site :) ) It is a second skin in my daily discourse, and am well aware of the deer in headlights reactions from those not accustomed to barbed jokes told with wry smiles. I know that the concept at least exists in Thailand, and understand the expression for it to be 'phuud bpra chot'. I was informed by an educated Thai that; 'yes it exists, but do not talk like that, it is not polite'. I wonder if it indeed was understood in the way i/we understand it, or if the whole approach is truly deemed rude to a Thai.

Anyone with experiences on that?

Not sure about rude, but certainly it can be mistaken as impolite. Sarcasm comes in many forms too, the jokey, friendly banter, and the deliberately rude. I tune mine according to whoever I'm talking too and test waters before I tend to do it, though like you I enjoy it as a playful means.

What I have ultimately found is that the more European educated Thais I know get it, along with accepting me for who I am and making allowances, even finding it funny. Others just won't get it so I adjust.

Sarcasm as a means to bully or put down is just rude in any country.