Uk Settlement Visa

We're getting ready to submit our application for a UK Settlement Visa and I think we have all the paperwork in place, just a few open issues that I can't seem to find answers to:

TB Certificate:

I understand this can be obtained from Bumrungrad Hospital but I've read elsewhere that there is a requirement to visit the IoM beforehand, can anyone explain what IoM's involvement is in this process and what's required of them? Also, where is the IoM?

Applicants Bank Records:

Is it a requirement to send the Applicants original bank books or can we send copies, presumably certified ones? The funds contained in those accounts are not key to the application but they do show support payments over time.

many thanks in advance

Applicants Bank Records:

Is it a requirement to send the Applicants original bank books or can we send copies, presumably certified ones? The funds contained in those accounts are not key to the application but they do show support payments over time.

You can submit a copy of her bank records.

TB Certificate:

I understand this can be obtained from Bumrungrad Hospital but I've read elsewhere that there is a requirement to visit the IoM beforehand, can anyone explain what IoM's involvement is in this process and what's required of them? Also, where is the IoM?

The British Embassy will only accept TB certificates issued by the IOM centre. It's the IOM that will send your wife to have the xray and she'll have a choice of two hospitals to go to.

http://static.thaivisa.com/forum/style_ima...e_types/pdf.gif

TB_testing_Bangkok.pdf

Edited by sumrit

Applicants Bank Records:

From the VAC site

You must provide original documents with a photocopy of each original document you are submitting. You should particularly include original documents relating to birth, marriage, divorce and death. If you are not able to include originals of these then you should send attested copies. Your original documents might not be returned to you if you do not provide photocopies of the originals. Failure to submit original documents may mean your application is delayed or refused.

Applicants Bank Records:

From the VAC site

You must provide original documents with a photocopy of each original document you are submitting. You should particularly include original documents relating to birth, marriage, divorce and death. If you are not able to include originals of these then you should send attested copies. Your original documents might not be returned to you if you do not provide photocopies of the originals. Failure to submit original documents may mean your application is delayed or refused.

7by7 about four years ago I made a point of emailing the Embassy, asking about bank records, and if copies were acceptable. At the time I was living in Thailand and did all my UK banking on line and didn't receive a paper statement from the banks, and for our Thai accounts we only had our passbooks. They told me that, providing the bank logo was on them, downloaded statements from the internet were acceptable and (good quality) photocopied pages from our Thai passbooks were OK.

I've done that a few times since then, the last time about a year ago, and helped friends with about half a dozen visas in that time. All without any problems. I think the originals (with copies) the Embassy are insistent on refer to the various certificates (marriage,birth,etc).

Applicants Bank Records:

From the VAC site

Many thanks for that 7 by 7. I've just looked at the link you provided to VFS and another question arises. It seems that applicants applying for Settlement visa's "should" apply online hence I've just taken a quick look at the online site, one of the items I'm required to have to hand before starting is a UK address. My partner and myself have lived here in Thailand for the past seven years and we are returning to the UK together (provided a visa is issued), consequently we do not yet have a UK address and this is made clear in my cover letter (we plan to hotel/rent/buy, in that order). Does the fact that we don't have a UK address preclude us from using the online application system and/or does it present any obstacles?

chiang mai

you can still use the online application.

we had the same problem when filling out the online application for a settlement visa. in the end we put my parents' address in manchester, even though our plan is to move to london. in my sponsor's letter i stated our plans were to move to london, not manchester, and i'd put my parents' address because the online application assumes the sponsor is living in the UK and you can't proceed till an address has been entered. also, included a letter of invitation from my parents and a copy of their land registry document as proof of ownership (and some photos of their spare room).

regarding accommodation, we stated we would stay in a hotel for one week till we found somewhere to rent, and provided evidence (bank statements) that we could easily pay for the cost of a week's stay in a hotel, and the cost of renting in london (paying 6 months' rent in advance, plus deposit and fee - about 7 and a bit months' rent). also included a fairly detailed budget to show we would not need recourse to public funds. don't know if the letter of invitation from my parents helped.

also, included online print outs of my UK current account statements (6 months), and photocopies of my Thai bank account savings book, and my partner included photocopies of theirs too. non of these copies were certified. neither was the copy of my passport certified, just signed by me. but it was issued by the fco in bangkok.

anyhow, we submitted our application on 10 march this year and it was granted on 6 may.

good luck

Edited by samuzza

Another question!

Are Thai applicants who are granted ILE allowed to make visits back to Thailand for the purpose of holidays etc without compromising their ILE status, I have in mind something along the lines of say one month per year?

Thanks

Another question!

Are Thai applicants who are granted ILE allowed to make visits back to Thailand for the purpose of holidays etc without compromising their ILE status, I have in mind something along the lines of say one month per year?

Thanks

Yes, it's treated the same as taking a holiday abroad.

Another question!

Thanks

Yes, it's treated the same as taking a holiday abroad.

Thank you Sumrit, again!

To expand, if I may.

Someone who is in the UK with a settlement visa or FLR is allowed to take holidays out of the UK without any limit. However, when applying for ILR they will need to show that they are, and have been continuously, resident in the UK; which may be difficult to do if they have spent more time outside the UK than in.

Once someone has ILR/ILE, if they spend a continuous period of 2 years or more out of the UK then their ILR/ILE will lapse and they will need to obtain the appropriate visa to re-enter.

However, if one wishes to apply for naturalisation as British there is a residential qualification.

If the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen the qualifying period is 3 years, for others it is 5. The applicant must have been physically present in the UK on the exact day 3 (5) years prior to submitting the application and during the intervening period have spent no more than 270 (450) days out of the UK with no more than 90 days in the final year.

I should add that in order to apply for naturalisation one must also be in the UK without any time restriction, i.e. have ILR/ILE or the equivalent.

To expand, if I may.

Someone who is in the UK with a settlement visa or FLR is allowed to take holidays out of the UK without any limit. However, when applying for ILR they will need to show that they are, and have been continuously, resident in the UK; which may be difficult to do if they have spent more time outside the UK than in.

Once someone has ILR/ILE, if they spend a continuous period of 2 years or more out of the UK then their ILR/ILE will lapse and they will need to obtain the appropriate visa to re-enter.

However, if one wishes to apply for naturalisation as British there is a residential qualification.

If the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen the qualifying period is 3 years, for others it is 5. The applicant must have been physically present in the UK on the exact day 3 (5) years prior to submitting the application and during the intervening period have spent no more than 270 (450) days out of the UK with no more than 90 days in the final year.

I should add that in order to apply for naturalisation one must also be in the UK without any time restriction, i.e. have ILR/ILE or the equivalent.

Understood, thanks and regards.

If someone enters the UK on a settlement visa as an unmarried partner, then after two years gets married, can they apply for British naturalisation one year on? i.e. Does the 3 year qualifying period start on arrival in the UK or when you get married?

I'm assuming if me and partner get married within 3 years of arriving in the UK, they will be able to apply for British naturalisation after 3 years rather than 5. Is that right?

Cheers for any info.

Yes, if a foreign national marries a British citizen after they have entered the UK, they would qualify after 3 years not 5 (provided all the other criteria are met). It is the applicant's marital status when they apply that counts, not that when they entered the UK.

Yes, if a foreign national marries a British citizen after they have entered the UK, they would qualify after 3 years not 5 (provided all the other criteria are met). It is the applicant's marital status when they apply that counts, not that when they entered the UK.

Cheers 7by7

So if we settle in the UK in July 2010 as unmarried partners

Get married in July 2012

When would we be able to apply for naturalisation? July 2013 or July 2015?

I thought 2013 i.e. three years' residency and married (even if only one year).

UKBA website states:

"Can I be naturalised as a British citizen?

If you are over 18 and have been living in the United Kingdom for the last five years (or three years if you are married to or a civil partner of a British citizen) you may be able to apply for naturalisation as a British citizen."

It doesn't say you have to have been married for 3 years, just living in the UK for 3 years. But the underlined phrase is vague.

(So imagine it's July 2013, and we got married 2012) Would my partner qualify for naturalisation on the basis they have been living in the UK for the last 3 years (two as an unmarried partner, and one as a married partner) and is now married to British citizen?

Does that make sense?

Cheers again.

Edited by samuzza

Sorry if my previous wasn't clear.

If she marries you after entering the UK, then she will be time qualified three years after first entering the UK; even though you were not married at that time.

So, to take your example:

Enters as an unmarried partner July 2010.

Marries you July 2012.

Can apply for naturalisation July 2013.