Best Fish & Chips In Bkk ?

powderpuff

Ok, just got back from Fat Gutz. Not yet open at lunchtimes but does open at 6pm each evening. I was expecting the 450 baht for one / 800 baht for two prices but it's changed...

it's now 320 baht for one and 600 for two. I had the 600 to share and got a huge bowl of chips, 3 fillets of fish (normal size), 2 prawns, lemon and 2 pickled onions. Plus home-made tartar sauce.

All I can say is....amazing. Probably the best I've ever had and definitely the best in Bangkok. I don't know what you get for the 320 one portion, but this double portion was too much for 2 people...just. Brilliant chips, brilliant fish in a batter I've never tasted anything like before and great value for money. Would have LOVED to have tried their alcoholic chocolate pudding and recommended milkshake, but that will be a separate visit.

You will never want to buy Fish and Chips from an English pub here again after you've tried this. That Aussie has a secret recipe for sure.

Thankyou Im going to go there right now because of your endorsement.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, just got back from Fat Gutz. Not yet open at lunchtimes but does open at 6pm each evening. I was expecting the 450 baht for one / 800 baht for two prices but it's changed...

it's now 320 baht for one and 600 for two. I had the 600 to share and got a huge bowl of chips, 3 fillets of fish (normal size), 2 prawns, lemon and 2 pickled onions. Plus home-made tartar sauce.

All I can say is....amazing. Probably the best I've ever had and definitely the best in Bangkok. I don't know what you get for the 320 one portion, but this double portion was too much for 2 people...just. Brilliant chips, brilliant fish in a batter I've never tasted anything like before and great value for money. Would have LOVED to have tried their alcoholic chocolate pudding and recommended milkshake, but that will be a separate visit.

You will never want to buy Fish and Chips from an English pub here again after you've tried this. That Aussie has a secret recipe for sure.

They make the pickled onions themselves, too, and offer them for sale by the jar I think - at least one wall is lined with big jars of them.

Sorry to take this thread off course, however I was more interested in the following remark,

"Good live blues/jazz band on Wed, Fri and Saturday, led by guitarist Jerry Byrd. After 9 the place packs out."

Perhaps SJ could give a review of the music, not a fan of jazz, and prefer Buddy Guy and John Lee Hooker type blues over Robert Cray for instance.

Have been at a loose end ever since Tokyo Joes closed, Saxaphone doesnt do it for me, dont much care for the layout of the place or the more jazzier type of music.

Was the place rockin, were people up dancing and having a good old time of it, or was it a more laid back type of place with people more restrained?

Well... fish was good at Fat Gutz but I wont be going back. 20 employees and not a one of them a brain. Seriously I and my girl were the ONLY customers in there and we just couldnt get service, at least not good servidce, I was especially impressed with the stupid level when the girl drops off a huge basket of fries and fish and walks away without a word.... not like they were busy, I had to call her back to get plates and ketchup.... seriously no plates? Fish and chips is finger food now with 2 people scrounging in a basket like wild animals?. NOBODY spoke english and nobody could understand me. Sorry Im not going to speak Thai in an AUSSIE fish and chips joint, if the guy is too stupid to hire english speaking staff to serve his foreign food well....

I also liked how the entire restaurant was "reserved" so they sat us right next to the door..... even though like i said we were the only customers in the entire place from start to finish of our meal... so watched a thai couple come in who they also told the same bullshit about being fully booked and tried to sit them right next to the door, they just walked out. So they lost 4 customers that day.... hope the reservation that came in later made up for the long term business they lost.

Be interesting to see if the owner reads your post TheLaughingMan, or on this occasion I suspect not a Laughing Man, and responds.

Thonglor is a pretty cosmopolitan area so I would have expected that the guy would have employed staff who at least spoke a little English.

Well I didnt speak to all 20 staff members, they were too busy speaking to themselves so perhaps some of them do speak english, but the ones that chose to attempt to figure out what I wanted through hand signals and facial expressions were clueless. Also, there were 2 managerial looking older men that in my opinion, should check on the only customers in the joint, but they too were busy chatting. All in all a prime example of Thai work ethic you see in most over staffed shopping malls etc... so many staff and still no service.

Couldn't say which is best, as I haven't tried many. However I just had the fish n chips from Bus Stop Soi 4 and they were excellent (only 185bt - in a really nice ambience with friendly and very attentive staff - thumbs up from me).

I was talking to a guy the other day who plans to open a fish n chip shop here in the next 6 months or so, with fish n chips done to Heston Blumenthals recipe. Now again, i've never had them, but i've heard and read that his fish n chips are extroardinarily tasty. If that place opens i'll sure give it a try.

Ah yes the famous Heston Blumenthal, hope your guy doesn't want to charge his prices, I think he charges in the region of 10,000 Baht for his set dinner menu.

The Hind's Head, also owned by Blumenthal, serves the same triple cooked chips but not at Fat Duck prices. More like the typical gastro-pub price range. Link

Edited by dantilley

Ah yes the famous Heston Blumenthal, hope your guy doesn't want to charge his prices, I think he charges in the region of 10,000 Baht for his set dinner menu.

Didn't The Fat Duck get closed last year because of food poisoning?

Didn't know it got shut for that, but sure that happens in any restaurant sometimes i guess, or certain ingredients are served raw for flavour and can be dangerous.

I dont see why it should be expensive as good fish is bountiful and cheap here as to a certain extent are potatos.

250bt for good portion sounds fair to me.

The Hind's Head, also owned by Blumenthal, serves the same triple cooked chips but not at Fat Duck prices. More like the typical gastro-pub price range. Link

Thanks for the link - looks delicious. thats the sort of menu i miss from home here.

Well... fish was good at Fat Gutz but I wont be going back. 20 employees and not a one of them a brain. Seriously I and my girl were the ONLY customers in there and we just couldnt get service, at least not good servidce, I was especially impressed with the stupid level when the girl drops off a huge basket of fries and fish and walks away without a word.... not like they were busy, I had to call her back to get plates and ketchup.... seriously no plates? Fish and chips is finger food now with 2 people scrounging in a basket like wild animals?. NOBODY spoke english and nobody could understand me. Sorry Im not going to speak Thai in an AUSSIE fish and chips joint, if the guy is too stupid to hire english speaking staff to serve his foreign food well....

I also liked how the entire restaurant was "reserved" so they sat us right next to the door..... even though like i said we were the only customers in the entire place from start to finish of our meal... so watched a thai couple come in who they also told the same bullshit about being fully booked and tried to sit them right next to the door, they just walked out. So they lost 4 customers that day.... hope the reservation that came in later made up for the long term business they lost.

Sounds like you had some bum luck that day. When I went I was surprised at the lack of seating, but went upstairs (just one table up there near the kitchen). Service was good and both girls and the chef spoke English. I guess it's irregular.

Ya and Im being overly harsh since the cost is high, if it was cheap food then I wouldnt have bothered complaining here. But when paying more than I should have to for something like "fish and chips" I suddenly become extremely picky. If you are going to have the balls to charge alot you better back it up with proper service and try not to alienate your customers like they did. I dont mind the worst service and seating in the world if the price is right. If I had actually paid the previous price of 800 baht I think my head would have exploded.

How far down Thong Lor is Fat Gutz and is it on the high street or down a soi, seems the food is good which is the priority.

Got to give Aussies their due they have good fish and chips shops, far better then in England where id rarely eat from them as most are that bad.

How far down Thong Lor is Fat Gutz and is it on the high street or down a soi, seems the food is good which is the priority.

It's on the main Soi 55 (Soi Thonglor) obviously depending which direction you are coming from, from Sukhumvit it's probably a little over half way down on the right, just after Thonglor Soi 10 which is a busy right turn, the complex it's in is called Grass. There is a McDonalds just after it on the left.

I've had this happen before, going in to a completely empty place and being told that the section I wished to sit in was closed or whatever and having them try to force me to sit at the entrance or a window, when I just want some place quiet. Are they trying to show the place isn't empty and draw in customers? It just makes me walk out. :/

Sounds like you had some bum luck that day. When I went I was surprised at the lack of seating, but went upstairs (just one table up there near the kitchen). Service was good and both girls and the chef spoke English. I guess it's irregular.

These people do not deserve to be in business.

Their Website clearly states "Food Deivery 11.00am - midnight"

I decided to Order home delivery from this Company around 15.30 today and was told by a girl speaking very poor English "do not open (until) 6.00 - (do you) want (to) wait?"

No - sorry, I do not.

Patrick

To balance out the comments for fat gutz, I had fish and chips from there last night and it was really good! I telephoned my order through and dropped in to collect it, everything was ready for me and correct, friendly staff and excellent food.

Not exactly cheap though, 600 Baht for fish and chips but I will go back again. The portion was enough for 2 to share....

This will make you laugh... Try the fish and chips in Samitivej Hospital. Very reasonable at 150 Baht a pop, freshly cooked and not to shabby at all!

Which Samitivej branch, Srinakarin or Sukhumvit?

Yes, someone told me the same thing about Samitivej Sukhumvit fish and chips. When I tried it was dry and basically awful. Perhaps it was just a bad day??

To balance out the comments for fat gutz, I had fish and chips from there last night and it was really good! I telephoned my order through and dropped in to collect it, everything was ready for me and correct, friendly staff and excellent food.

Not exactly cheap though, 600 Baht for fish and chips but I will go back again. The portion was enough for 2 to share....

It tastes nice enough, but the fish is a little on the thin side, id eat again if im in the area.

Some good suggestions to follow up on the thread. On my limited experience: my last two visits to the Offshore have been a big let down, and Bus Stop on Soi 4 is the best I have come across around Sukhumvit. The nicest fish and chips I've had in Thailand came from the Pig & Whistle down on the coast.

Edited by citizen33

This will make you laugh... Try the fish and chips in Samitivej Hospital. Very reasonable at 150 Baht a pop, freshly cooked and not to shabby at all!

Off topic but I had a lunch of mushroom soup at the Italian restaurant in Bumrungrad. The waiter brought out a large truffle and started shaving some into my soup.

More sir? he asked. Oh yes more and more and more! haha not cheap but I certainly left with a smile....

Off topic but I had a lunch of mushroom soup at the Italian restaurant in Bumrungrad. The waiter brought out a large truffle and started shaving some into my soup.

More sir? he asked. Oh yes more and more and more! haha not cheap but I certainly left with a smile....

just ate from the Offshore (soi23) for first time in a while.

Cod ok, but Red snapper (cheaper of two) very tasty.

chips could have been a little livelier.

Batter tasted better on snapper for some reason... thought it was same, but maybe wrong.

Going by the time of your post, you went there too early.

I have found that before they get busy later at night, they don't always leave the fat on meaning that the fat is often not hot enough.

Which Samitivej branch, Srinakarin or Sukhumvit?

Yes, someone told me the same thing about Samitivej Sukhumvit fish and chips. When I tried it was dry and basically awful. Perhaps it was just a bad day??

If it is anything to go by from Bangkok Hospital the Fish and Chips are disgusting. I belive there is a Hospital Food Supplier called Sodexo - avoid, avoid, reminds me of the <deleted> they used to serve back in UK hospitals.