Connecting Laptop (or Pc) To Television

mario299

:) Hello. I'm certainly no whiz at geek-type stuff, so I need some help on how to connect my laptop to my Sony Bravia so I can watch movies I have stored on my portable hard drive memory. I have purchased and connected (properly, I hope) the proper RGB cable and audio cable from laptop to TV, but menu on TV screen under external hook-ups PC says no signal. What am I not doing to get a signal to the TV?

Any help on something this "basic" is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

mario299

You need to tell the laptop to use the external monitor... e.g. on an IBM laptop you press Fn+F5 to get a list of display options...

With my old laptop, the Graphics Card wasn't fast enough to run the laptop screen and the TV screen at the same time, so I had to close the laptop screen down once the movie started...

Turn off your screen saver/sleep mode first as well, otherwise you need to keep moving the mouse to stop the screen going blank...

Cheers,

Daewoo

2010-05-26 09[/url]:41:27' post='3643207']

You need to tell the laptop to use the external monitor... e.g. on an IBM laptop you press Fn+F5 to get a list of display options...

With my old laptop, the Graphics Card wasn't fast enough to run the laptop screen and the TV screen at the same time, so I had to close the laptop screen down once the movie started...

Turn off your screen saver/sleep mode first as well, otherwise you need to keep moving the mouse to stop the screen going blank...

Cheers,

Daewoo

Thanks Daewoo, I figured it had to be something simple. Mine is a Dell but I'll figure it out.

mario299 :)

span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }

Cheers,

Daewoo

Thanks Daewoo, but I guess it wasn't so simple for me, still can't find how to get to external monitor on my Dell Latitude D600. Anyone know what I need to do? I have asked neighborhood children, so luck there either, would very much like to watch movies instead of soap operas. Help anyone??

thanks...mario299

If he is using RGB input would likely not be from PC but from the RGB/DVD/CD or whatever it is called in the TV menu. The computer would be attached with a normal VGA monitor connection for using the PC input. Some computers also have HDMI that can be used.

Is there a symbol on the F8 key??????????????????????????

Yes, CRT/LCD but if this means "connect remote television"/"lay control down" or some such I'm going to feel even dumber than I already do. F2 has a symbol that looks like a radio tower...could be wireless connection? F3 has what looks like a battery, and F10 has a symbol that is unrecognizable to me.

As I mentioned, I am no computer whiz and I did ask the neighbor kids as was suggested by one of the posters. They all speak Khmer, not computer, but we ate a snack together anyway. I am much better at pounding nails and building things than I ever will be with a computer, but at least I'm off the soap operas for awhile, thank goodness.