Kefir And Raw Milk

martin1971

Hi In here.

its been some time since I have been here.

Got a question for those of you who already know what kefir is.

I am looking for kefir growers. want to get my hands on some grains.

does anyone in here grow them?

also does anyone know where to get raw milk or raw goats milk in koh samui?

or elsewhere if I need to get it shipped down here?

thanks

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Any result on the raw milk search?

I would be very keen to find unpasteurized milk from cow, or even better, goat - as grass fed as possible. Live in Bangkok.

Any hinters extremely appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Negative on the raw milk but I have kefir to give away - I'm in Pattaya.

Personally I wouldn't take the risk of using raw milk even if you could get it here.

When you produce kefir, the milk is merely a medium for culturing colonies of live bacteria beneficial to the human gut. Why would anyone need to use raw milk when pasteurized milk does a good job?

• 2 weeks later...

Negative on the raw milk but I have kefir to give away - I'm in Pattaya.

Personally I wouldn't take the risk of using raw milk even if you could get it here.

When you produce kefir, the milk is merely a medium for culturing colonies of live bacteria beneficial to the human gut. Why would anyone need to use raw milk when pasteurized milk does a good job?

Well, I realize that there is a risk to raw milk. sad.gif

The issue is - I am relatively sensitive to conventional, pasteurized diary. And yes, there is a difference: raw dairy is a whole food, and pasteurized dairy is a processed food.

Most people who are sensitive to diary are reacting to the sugar in milk, lactose (some react to the protein too). The enzyme lactase must be present to hydrolyze lactose into glucose and galactose. A large proportion of Asians have a problem with producing lactase, and I seem to have as well.

Raw milk contains lactase, the enzyme needed to digest lactose. Pasteurization kills lactase. So a lot of people who cannot tolerate pasteurized milk can tolerate raw milk. As for myself, I actually do not know, because I have never in my life tried. There are many supposed health advantages to raw milk too.

I would love to try your kefir though! biggrin.gifEven if it is based on pasteurized milk, the live bacteria would probably enable me to digest it. And if the cows are mainly grass fed, I guess the Omega 3 content will be good. Will send you a PM to see if I can come by if I go in the direction of Pattaya. Thanks

I would love to try your kefir though! biggrin.gifEven if it is based on pasteurized milk, the live bacteria would probably enable me to digest it. And if the cows are mainly grass fed, I guess the Omega 3 content will be good. Will send you a PM to see if I can come by if I go in the direction of Pattaya. Thanks

Trust me on this. By the time you've "brewed" a batch of kefir there isn't any lactose left. The bacteria and yeast which produce kefir digest (feed on) the lactose for you. It is a very sour drink. You can ferment it even longer if you like (secondary fermentation) just in case you're worried there maybe residual lactose content.

I agree that raw milk would be good for you, but my point was that I would not trust raw milk in Thailand. The risks would outweigh the benefits.

Edited by tropo

Trust me on this. By the time you've "brewed" a batch of kefir there isn't any lactose left. The bacteria and yeast which produce kefir digest (feed on) the lactose for you. It is a very sour drink. You can ferment it even longer if you like (secondary fermentation) just in case you're worried there maybe residual lactose content.

I agree that raw milk would be good for you, but my point was that I would not trust raw milk in Thailand. The risks would outweigh the benefits.

Yea, you are probably right that I would tolerate the kefir.

I would still really like to get my hand on some raw milk cheese though.

Yea, you are probably right that I would tolerate the kefir.

I would still really like to get my hand on some raw milk cheese though.

Unless of course you have an allergy to milk protein... but then you could make water or coconut kefir.

• 1 month later...

Hi

i would like some Kefir culture if you can spare some please. Don't how to use this "PM" exactly as I am still a newbie at this.

I'm in Bkk and have some milk kefir grains to share. If you're interested, send me a PM in here.