Peas

youreavinalaff

Got me pies and chips in the freezer ready to go. Problem is finding mushy peas. The canned stuff is bad at best. Thought I would try to make me own. So question..................................

Where can I buy good quality dried peas in Bangkok.

Me mate gets them in Pattaya at 120 a kg but not always available. Heard there was a wholesale type place in Bangkok that was a bit cheaper and more reliable.

Any idea chaps?

Thoughts appreciated.

OK so here is the recipe which if you think back to the Uk in the 50s is simple.

Take a can of UFC peas (around 18baht) Drain and rinse the peas, cover with fresh water and add a teaspoon of Bicarbonate of soda (baking section of any supermarket and also useful for washing fresh salad/veg etc.) and leave to soak for a couple of hours, overnight even better.

Drain the peas again and rinse thoroughly then put in a pan with barely enough water to cover and boil to correct mushiness, not long as peas will shed their skin and go mushy as soon as they boil.

Was going to keep this as my secret but life's too short.

Good luck

Oh almost forgot add salt to taste.

Edited by sirgordon

I used to take Tally garden peas (89 Baht a kilo in Makro, 85 baht for HALF a kilo in Central Festival !) and stick them in a blender with a bit of butter and mint. Not the real thing but better than nothing.

Now use the large catering tins 2.6 ltr - Crosse & Blackwell I think. Probably find at KPK foods