webfact

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:facepalm:

No, Mr. 'Expert'. you mixing up here something and/or probably unable to understand the written words.

By no means am I an expert on the issue, but I am very anxious to find out which source you are referring to when you state that Interpol has found the present terrorist accusations against Thaksin politically motivated. Please enlighten us? Am I not able to understand written words? I find that a childish statement on which I will, wisely, not comment.

Okay, it becomes more clear now that you are not an expert but only understand little to nothing and jump to conclusions much to quickly.

i never said that Interpol found the present terrorist accusations against Thaksin politically motivated. you made that just up in your own mind.

please point out where you saw something like that written.

so let me quote myself once more:

Meanwhile Interpol called Thaksins conviction in the conflict of interest case "politically motivated".

FYI: the conflict of interest case is the Ratchadaphisek land deal.

yeah, the big master mind crime of the international fugitive of justice, the convicted criminal, his two year sentence Interpol called politically motivated and in such case will never assist Thailand 'to get' Thaksin, whatever FM Kasit, ultra right wing extremist or some beer bar patrons and expats in Thailand maybe think about.

during tha last year we could here that Interpol story by Thai government officials so often, now they finally admit that Interpol never agreed with the Thai demands.

anyway, there is little hope that Interpol will now change 'their minds' and assist Thailand in the hunt for the terrorists.

Wait and see, nothing will happen. it is all just fantasy and propaganda smoke.

Edited by mazeltov

There is no doubt it will fall further this year as well.

I hope you're wrong but fear the opposite.

The Farang Expats and other people who are interested in Thailand are mainly fed with colour painted news...

Non-biased news about Thailand is hard to find and if there is any it's brushed away by those who claim the Western Press is colour painted.

An endless circle. :)

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Don't tell me you're proud of #130 for Thailand out of 175 countries....one step higher on the ladder than notorious censor shipped Malaysia on # 131 and Singapore (YES, good old S'pore) on # 133.... :)

It's a bloody shame :D

LaoPo

What you forgot to mention is that the slide down the slippery slope started when K. Thaksin was PM the first time. The rate of descent has slowed down in recent years. Open-mindedness is needed to get back up.

I didn't forget to mention; the website of Reporters Without Borders goes back to only 2002 when Thailand was on a shared # 65, together with Madagascar.

According to the website of the above mentioned organization the slide down the slippery slope as you call it (Freedom of Press in Thailand) is indeed downwards since 2002 (last numbers available); however, if you and others trust those numbers, and I have no reason to doubt a serious organization as RWB, the Press Freedom got even worse AFTER Thaksin was ousted and FAR WORSE since 2002.............. :D :

Thailand Press Freedom Index:

2002: # 65 (out of 139 countries)

2003: # 82 (out of 166 countries)

2004: # 59 (out of 169 countries)

2005: # 107 (out of 167 countries)

2006: # 122 (out of 168 countries) Thaksin ousted September 2006

2007: # 135 (out of 169 countries)

2008: # 124 (out of 173 countries)

2009: # 130 (out of 175 countries)

LaoPo

I am sure someone will come up with the logic: without Thaksin - no putsch, and without red shirts - no censorship.

the ultra right wing nutcases and apologists for the Bangkok massacre will always find a way to twist and spin the story and point at someone else or blame the victims.

The Farang Expats and other people who are interested in Thailand are mainly fed with colour painted news...

Non-biased news about Thailand is hard to find and if there is any it's brushed away by those who claim the Western Press is colour painted.

LaoPo

It seems impossible for it not to fall further given the media restrictions that went along with the SOE. Personally, I think those restrictions were completely justified and most western governments would have done the same thing given the stuff that PTV was spewing. Nevertheless it has been perceived by the int'l press as a media freedom violation and Thailand's rating from RWB will surely fall because of it.

LaoPo

It seems impossible for it not to fall further given the media restrictions that went along with the SOE. Personally, I think those restrictions were completely justified and most western governments would have done the same thing given the stuff that PTV was spewing. Nevertheless it has been perceived by the int'l press as a media freedom violation and Thailand's rating from RWB will surely fall because of it.

of course, plus Thailand will go further down the list and than you can check which countries would act same and have similar media restrictions. Cuba, Burma, Iran, Turkmenistan and North Korea.

Wow, role models of developed democracy and being at their level completely justify everything.

LaoPo

of course, plus Thailand will go further down the list and than you can check which countries would act same and have similar media restrictions. Cuba, Burma, Iran, Turkmenistan and North Korea.

Wow, role models of developed democracy and being at their level completely justify everything.

You can add USA to that list as well. Look up imminent lawlessness and you'll understand. I haven't researched other western countries, but I have no doubt there are similar provisions. Media that calls for violent revolution, arson, and assassinations will be censored the world around.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Meanwhile Interpol called Thaksins conviction in the conflict of interest case "politically motivated".

Searching the Interpol site I only find

"INTERPOL Secretary General Ronald K. Noble travelled to Phuket, Thailand, on 31 December 2004 to make a first hand assessment of the additional support needed for the DVI teams. He thanked Thailand's Prime Minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, and Police Commissioner, Kowit Watana, for their leadership in co-ordinating the international DVI effort on the ground."

Maybe you got a personal call from Interpol to explain their point of view?

Thailand currently ranking on 130. of 175 countries on the Press Freedom Index compiled and published by Reporters Without Borders because in previous years the total number of countries in the list vary lets also compare the Notes/score Thailand got. a lower note indicated more freedom

Year/ note / rank

2009: 44.00 130. of 175 countries

2008: 34.50 124. of 173

2007: 53.50 135. of 169

2006: 33.50 122. of 168

2005: 28.00 107. of 167

2004: 14.00 59. of 167

2003: 19.67 82. of 166

2002: 22.75 65. of 135

Anyway, the right of freedom if the media is part of the constitution. but this is now heavy violated by the current government in power. it has become more worse than under Thaksin.

Interesting the jump between 2004 and 2006 when K. Thaksin was starting to get terribly annoyed with people asking awkward questions.

Okay, it becomes more clear now that you are not an expert but only understand little to nothing and jump to conclusions much to quickly.

There is a significant difference in being an expert or being someone not knowing anything about a topic.

You made it pretty clear in your previous posts that the present accusations would be ignored, but thats ofcourse depends on interpretation of what was written. You flame me for not understanding written words, but might have to reflect a bit more on your owns in my opinion. A concept of twisting and turning with a clear agenda it seems.

I strongly believe that Interpol might change its previous point of views of polictical bias and that your man is guilty of organizing a violent overthrown of government.

I doubt also whether we have to wait and see on future events. Your man has proven many times in the past to be full of lies and in love with media attention. A dangerous recepy for shooting one's self in the foot,

The mazel!

Edited by Lite Beer
Quote changed to what was actually written.

Thaksin said Interpol, the Paris-based international police intelligence-sharing association, would not act on such a groundless and politically motivated warrant.

my Thaksin is an impudent man

he is even telling Interpol what they can do

someone should send this article to the Chief at Interpol and see how he feels about a convicted criminal and accused terrorist telling him how to do his job.

This is in the international news. I'm pretty sure it reaches France as well.

Convicted by a court influenced by an institution that we are not allowed to talk about. If the Chief at Interpol will start asking too many questions, he will suddenly face the prospect of spending 15 years in jail in Thailand himself. Hmmm...I wonder how he feels about that.

:):D:D poor fellow

Could someone from the Thai government explain this statement that was released yesterday by Interpol?

Cross-border police agency Interpol said Friday it had received no request to track fugitive Thai ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra and that it would not arrest him on purely "political" grounds.
Edited by clown

"INTERPOL Secretary General Ronald K. Noble travelled to Phuket, Thailand, on 31 December 2004 to make a first hand assessment of the additional support needed for the DVI teams. He thanked Thailand's Prime Minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, and Police Commissioner, Kowit Watana, for their leadership in co-ordinating the international DVI effort on the ground."

The issue is now the terrorism charges and not the former corruption charges for which he was convicted. Maybe Montenegro wants to harbor a terrorist. Maybe Interpol wants to allow a terrorist to operate safely from Europe. You can see an interview with Interpol chief and see his own opinion

The issue is now the terrorism charges and not the former corruption charges for which he was convicted. Maybe Montenegro wants to harbor a terrorist. Maybe Interpol wants to allow a terrorist to operate safely from Europe. You can see an interview with Interpol chief and see his own opinion

When the interpol chief said that he was never gonna give Thaksin up I was shocked. I didn't think he would take terrorism so lightly.

"clearly demonstrate our political determination and capability to meet all the commitments

arising from our membership of INTERPOL and to give our contribution to the fight

against transnational crime, terrorism and other security challenges and threats."

Mr Milo Djukanovic, Prime Minister of Montenegro, May 26, 2010

http://www.interpol.int/Public/ICPO/speech...CDjukanovic.PDF

Mr Prime Minister, if you really want to demonstrate your determination to fight terrorism deport Thaksin and stop harboring this fugitive.

Edited by Humungus

Thank God Interpol hasn't been so irresponsible as to give in to weird demands from a third world nation where freedom of speech is barred by the constitution,

Wrong, Thailand does have free speech provisions. Under Thaksin's regime, freedom of the press was squeezed so badly that the Bangkok Post started printing the relevant provision on the top left corner of the front page as a protest.

Please don't make throw away remarks about things you know nothing about.

Thailand currently ranking on 130. of 175 countries on the Press Freedom Index compiled and published by Reporters Without Borders

because in previous years the total number of countries in the list vary lets also compare the Notes/score Thailand got. a lower note indicated more freedom

Year/ note / rank

http://en.rsf.org/spip.php?page=classement...d_rubrique=1001

Anyway, the right of freedom if the media is part of the constitution. but this is now heavy violated by the current government in power. it has become more worse than under Thaksin.

PS: Please don't make throw away remarks about things you know nothing about. that is something you should obey yourself.

Btw. did you found in the meantime the article about the 'politically motivated case' and Interpols position about it?

edit: added a PS

I won't comment about rsf.org except to say there may be more objective ratings, including Freedom house, the longest and most respected organization for rating press freedoms. They tell a slightly different story. Second, a single ranking is not a good indicator, consider a perfect world where all press is completely free, except for Singapore, :) , there is little meaning to a ranking of 199/200. See ratings by year here.

http://freedomhouse.org/template.cfm?page=359

Most interesting is that in the late 90s, Thailand was a bright star of press freedom in the region, rated as one of the only 30 some percent of countries with a free press.

mopf_slide_99.jpg

By 2004, it is rated as only partially free, but still above all its neighbors, especially countries like Vietnam and Singapore.

mopf_slide_04.jpg

Also see world audit, as another. http://www.worldaudit.org/press.htm Thai=85/150 Sing=112 China=138 N. Korea=150

Note, in Suchinda's time, the press was not free at all yet even during the crackdown, papers like the Nation and the unmentionable, which were fiercely against the government at the time, refused to close and printed papers with large blanked out areas to show where the government had censored information.

It was the reds that methodically destroyed or covered up the surveillance cameras throughout the city. The government methodically shut down more radical internet sites, but note that an internet site can lie, cameras don't. For the most part, the government left the media alone, even if it was from pragmatism.

Let's be more objective.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: Some empty space trimmed from quoted areas, empty logic left in place.

Edited by rabo

Thank God Interpol hasn't been so irresponsible as to give in to weird demands from a third world nation where freedom of speech is barred by the constitution,

Wrong, Thailand does have free speech provisions. Under Thaksin's regime, freedom of the press was squeezed so badly that the Bangkok Post started printing the relevant provision on the top left corner of the front page as a protest.

Please don't make throw away remarks about things you know nothing about.

Thailand currently ranking on 130. of 175 countries on the Press Freedom Index compiled and published by Reporters Without Borders

because in previous years the total number of countries in the list vary lets also compare the Notes/score Thailand got. a lower note indicated more freedom

Year/ note / rank

http://en.rsf.org/spip.php?page=classement...d_rubrique=1001

PS: Please don't make throw away remarks about things you know nothing about. that is something you should obey yourself.

Btw. did you found in the meantime the article about the 'politically motivated case' and Interpols position about it?

edit: added a PS

I won't comment about rsf.org except to say there may be more objective ratings, including Freedom house, the longest and most respected organization for rating press freedoms. They tell a slightly different story. Second, a single ranking is not a good indicator, consider a perfect world where all press is completely free, except for Singapore, :) , there is little meaning to a ranking of 199/200. See ratings by year here.

http://freedomhouse.org/template.cfm?page=359

Most interesting is that in the late 90s, Thailand was a bright star of press freedom in the region, rated as one of the only 30 some percent of countries with a free press.

mopf_slide_99.jpg

By 2004, it is rated as only partially free, but still above all its neighbors, especially countries like Vietnam and Singapore.

mopf_slide_04.jpg

Also see world audit, as another. http://www.worldaudit.org/press.htm Thai=85/150 Sing=112 China=138 N. Korea=150

Note, in Suchinda's time, the press was not free at all yet even during the crackdown, papers like the Nation and the unmentionable, which were fiercely against the government at the time, refused to close and printed papers with large blanked out areas to show where the government had censored information.

It was the reds that methodically destroyed or covered up the surveillance cameras throughout the city. The government methodically shut down more radical internet sites, but note that an internet site can lie, cameras don't. For the most part, the government left the media alone, even if it was from pragmatism.

Let's be more objective.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: Some empty space trimmed from quoted areas, empty logic left in place.

So your graphics show that Thai press became less free under Thaksin in 2004.

Could someone from the Thai government explain this statement that was released yesterday by Interpol?
Cross-border police agency Interpol said Friday it had received no request to track fugitive Thai ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra and that it would not arrest him on purely "political" grounds.

It is an indication that their proof is not that strong and I really don't think it is.

So far, the Thai government has preferred to make contact with Interpol via its foreign ministry, which only adds credence to the view that it is politically motivated. There have been no reports of actual facts being disclosed.

My view, and strictly my view only, is that the money trail has gone from a Thaksin controlled entity to another entity and ultimately to where it was cashed out, but since there is no direct link back to Thaksin, nothing can be proven against Thaksin, only surmised.

in such case will never assist Thailand 'to get' Thaksin...

well how - that is why Mr.Abhisit asks today, if he may have to renounce his Thai-Citizen Status, being now a citizen of Montenegro, holding a Montenegrin PP residing there - well, yes how is Interpol going to arrest a "Mr.Takhsin Shinawatra" if there is officially not such person anymore existing!?

How?

How can Interpol arrest someone as XXXX XXXXXX when he is NOT holding a Thai PP and his name is now something liek Takshordin Shinowastrowice or some thing like this - he is (supposedly) even going to language school - soon he might not be talking his mothers tongue anymore.... but Crnogorski Jezik (Црногорски језик) - standarized Shtokavian ... see it's not all that easy... and it's said he wears now very, very big sunglasses too - they (Interpol) may not be able to recognize him, since lacking a very recent photo!

and then - who knows, maybe he's back since long,

has undergone face surgery and is in the role of his very own enemy ...

ah' well he won't - or contesting next Ms. Tiffany World - will he?

However it looks very much that someone is going to be history... at his very own undoing!

Edited by Samuian

I don't know if this has been posted --- from an article in the closed daily thread .....

The former PM expressed confidence that Interpol would not cooperate with the Thai government, as the government has not submitted substantive evidence.

Meanwhile, Al Jazeera recently reported that the Thai Criminal Court has approved the issuance of the arrest warrant for the former PM on the charges of terrorism.

The foreign press revealed that the court's decision was based on substantive evidence that Thaksin had displayed suspicious behavior, verbally threatened, and supported the recent terrorist acts in Thailand.

Yes but the last news we got on that situation was one of them was out of the country and the others were busy doing important things. What are the charges Loitering.

You tribulize occupying the airport. Like it or not we are still suffering from the effects. Kidnapping over a quarter of a million tourists is not a trivial matter and travel agents have long memories. The red shirts brought shame to Thailand The yellow shirts brought distrust.

I suggest you go back and do a bit of research before spouting things that are not true. In fact forum rules say that telling lies (including things that can reasonably be considered to be untrue) is a violation of said rules.

15) Not to use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law. You also agree not to post negative comments criticizing the legal proceedings or judgments of any Thai court of law.

You try to indicate that I lied yet you do not say what the lie is. Obviously you are a typical red shirt with no idea of right or wrong. Yell at others to do what you want and not make one move to make it happen yourself.

Sorry forgot about you taking care of a large section of Bangkok before you try to burn it down My apologies. wasn't it great to see all the people come out to clean it up and not make demands on the rest of the country. Juswt try to build the country because they love it.

Funny they came for free to clean up you were paid to mess it up.

Your failure to say what the lie was indicates that it is just more truth you do not want to face.

Obviously you are a typical red shirt with no idea of right or wrong.

Obviously you don't know jdinasia.

He has a point (that I did not point out the factual error in his post) but I thought it was obvious!

The PAD did not "kidnap" over 250,000 people. In fact, they did not "kidnap" anyone, though I guess a case could be made for the woman that they detained briefly (police officer?). Not to mention that they have been charged with several things for what happened at the aiport. I am guessing, but I think that the only thing that will stick to them will be criminal trespass. They didn't close, or cause the closure, of the airport (at least that is what their lawyers will say!) The AOT chief that was present closed the airport without even speaking to the people there. They WILL get stuck with millions in damages in civil cases.

This thread is about Thaksin getting nabbed by Interpol (or help in nabbing) and has nothing to do with Jayjay0's inaccurate but blessedly brief rant about the PAD.

It's a shame that interpol and other foreign governments have ignored requests to extradite Thaksin and have even aided his fugitive lifestyle. Countries like France and Montenegro that knowingly allow Thaksin on their soil are no better than Afghanistan and are harboring a terrorist leader. Thaksin has the right to defend himself in court and respond to the evidence against him and interpol ought to help him do that.

Get real, just because Thailand calls him a terrorist that does not mean he is one, no charges have even actually been laid against him yet for this. Also in other countries (where they actually have a judiciary that is not controlled by the government) they will consider the evidence, they will then see this as politically motivated and just dismiss it out of hand, just like they do with every request kasit has ever made.

In the grand scheme of things Thailand means sod all to the world at large and any ammount of whinging, crying or threats from Thailand will quite rightly be laughed off. This will go nowhere, he will continue his jaunts, next election is party will win, they will gain control of the judiciary and Thaksin will be back.

Oh and as for the requests to extradite him, it takes more than some somchai sitting in an embassy somewhere to call his counterpart and ask that they extradite him (as happened in Sweden), it takes the correct papers, it takes hearings in that country to see if there is evidence, and most importantly if there is a chance of him getting the death penalty he will stay where he is, and since Thailand has already said this allegation (not charge as he has not been charged) carries the death penalty I doubt any country with extradite him.

Thailand needs to realise that the rest of the world does not operate like a kindergarten wwhere people can be bullied into doing things or saying things.

Everyone and their Dogs know Thaksin is guilty of funding that terrorist organisation called UDD... He should be brought home to face his accusers, and if he thinks he is innocent, why does he not come to face them. And serve the 2 years already hanging over him.. His ex-wife and his children should also be on that list as they helped to organise the moneys...

And I don`t know where you get facts that lead you to believe UDD would ever win an election in Thailand, it seems if we are to believe the pollsters, that their popularity has slumped to an all time low of around 18%.. And I`m sure when all the facts come out and the captured Red Shirt Leaders "spill the Beans" that figure will drop even further.. And from what I hear through my limited grapevine, they are spilling "Lots" of beans.....

Apart from Abhisit's government which other country has classed the UDD as a terrorist organisation? U.S.A., EU?

The PAD did not "kidnap" over 250,000 people.

And the UDD kidnapped 250,000 people? :)

They didn't close, or cause the closure, of the airport (at least that is what their lawyers will say!)

You obviously have no clue as to what happened. What about the hundreds of PAD that ran onto the runway in Phuket, causing flights to be diverted and the airport closed? I'm sorry, that counts as causing the airport to be closed.

And in Suvarnabhumi, they raided the airport control tower. That also counts as causing the airport to be closed, unless you suggest one of the world's largest airports being able to operate without the control tower.

Edited by clown