New Bar Rules . Samui?

Thought I'll bring this to your attention. Don't know how true, maybe someone can elaborate.This article is relevant to Phuket at this stage.

This is an extract from General Topics :

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Bar-Laws-t368933.html

New Laws - coming to a bar near you!

The previous weekend we had a number of Bangkok Police, accompanied by Patong/Kathu police visit Bars & Restaurants in Lala, detailing the new law regarding bars in Thailand, yes they said this law was coming into effect for all bars and restaurants in the whole country. Not sure at present if these laws are to apply to Hotels and Nightclubs, but cannot see why they would be excluded. Thought it was a scam or joke at first, but then they produced government posters etc confirming the points they made.

They only managed to visit 6 places in the first day and have not come back since, but was told this was because they had been called back to Bangers due to the unrest last week. So 6 places brought in the new law 60 bars in the village were not told yet so have carried on regardless, time will see if they return and inform all other establishments and also of course in Patong and elsewhere. I spoke to a contact last week about this and he confirmed they had already done this in Ranong, so its looking countrywide and not a joke?

Okay so to the new rules:-

Rule One – No alcohol to be served before 5pm on any day.

Can’t understand the reasoning behind this, as I do not know of anywhere that is suffering from say, daytime drunks activities? But I do know that this will hit a lot of bars and restaurants trade if no alcohol sales, no wine with your lunch, surely it has to apply to Hotels as well, wow what kick in the teeth on the back of a low low season, how can this not harm tourism?.

Rule Two – No internal or external alcoholic adverts, ie no product advertisement on bottle condoms, beer mats, clocks, mirrors, glasses, signage, posters etc.

I can see an argument for external advertising, maybe subliminally luring you in for a drink, but once inside why would I be influenced to buy a drink just because I saw a Tiger beer mat?, surely once I’m in my purpose has already been set? Bet Chang will be happy after just spending a squillion baht on all those external bar illuminated signs!!

Rule Three – all bars can stay open until 2am

The only new rule that offered something back, but not really as all bars in Kamala open until 2am anyway!!

Rule 4 – No smoking in ANY bar or restaurant. Penalty for bar owner 20,000bht for smoker 2,000bht.

Seen the posters on this one, sticky backed, in Thai, Chinese and English already up in a couple of Lala bars, already operating. I know they brought in the no smoking law last year but it then only applied to internal bars, it now applies all bars outside or not.

This rule will decimate the bar trade, just look at England, some bars here will open beer gardens, but then you will miss all the action by being outside, most bars do not have the space for beer gardens, they are small shop units. Consider Bangla Road, all sois except Eric cannot smoke as no area to do so, but Soi Eric has the table area outside, would that be out of the bar? If it is, then you’ve just made a fortune Nicke!! And anyone thinking of buying a bar, get one in Soi Eric double quick time!!!

I am not passing on a what a mate told me, this has happened in Lala. They are supposed to be coming back this week to tell all other bar owners. The first 6 complied on day one, but as they have been away most are reverting back now to taking no notice. The owners visited the local Orbitor and asked his opinion, he said to comply but to watch and see if they did it in Patong, if so okay, if not then he would complain, but to who and how much to get the locals police to turn a blind eye!

Hopefully this will be ignored by the Thais and we will go back to normal in a few weeks, but just a warning it is coming to a bar near you!!!

Its always taken some time for rules to trickle down to the islands. I remember when they came to Phangan enforcing that register all guests with the police thing. I wonder if everyone else still does it?

Its always taken some time for rules to trickle down to the islands. I remember when they came to Phangan enforcing that register all guests with the police thing. I wonder if everyone else still does it?

wouldn't worry too much. advertising or ban on smoking. smokers will normailly always smoke and drinkers will always drink. there is always a way round these stupid rules.

who would be using condoms - isn't that promoting immoral acts of behavior?

And bars open till 2 am?

Where alcohol is consumed...

pew...

how immoral!

RULE #5 every bar has to support at least one monk, the more the better,

to fend off any form of tricky karmic results for the neighborhood and every one involved!

ban the production of this evil stuff, this menace of society!

ban the sponsoring of football clubs!

In bed by 10 and lights off, retired people will have to go fishing, play golf or hike off!

Still anyone ANY customers?

'...well if so, then make sure they don''t drink and drive, wear a helmet, have a valid license, aren't underage or overage

are law abiding citizens, never swear, pray daily, go to religious services often, keep their records clean and BEFORE ordering another drink they have to be tested and breathalyzed, to ensure their proper functionality so that they do not become a menace to society!!

Alcohol, entertainment, enjoyment.... leisure - YUK!

How selfish!

Edited by Samuian

Not in my bar......hahahaha.....NOOOOO.....Please call an ambulance someone.....not here in the wild west it can't happen surely not

HELP!

Looking for a buyer? :)

Nah just turn it into a health food shop.....smoothies anyone?

You gotta roll with the times.... :D

I honestly think it's just another revenue making ruse for the BIB. They need to top up the coffers in BKK, after all the latest events. All these fines go there to the top & get redistributed.What is left after what is being pocketed is issued for equipment & uniforms.

I honestly think it's just another revenue making ruse for the BIB. They need to top up the coffers in BKK, after all the latest events. All these fines go there to the top & get redistributed.What is left after what is being pocketed is issued for equipment & uniforms.

A new bar tax or just a rise in the existing rate? I doubt any tourists on Samui will notice or be fined at all. :)

And bars open till 2 am?

pew...

how immoral!

to fend off any form of tricky karmic results for the neighborhood and every one involved!

In bed by 10 and lights off, retired people will have to go fishing, play golf or hike off!

'...well if so, then make sure they don''t drink and drive, wear a helmet, have a valid license, aren't underage or overage

are law abiding citizens, never swear, pray daily, go to religious services often, keep their records clean and BEFORE ordering another drink they have to be tested and breathalyzed, to ensure their proper functionality so that they do not become a menace to society!!

How selfish!

u r paid to write speaches ?

And bars open till 2 am?

pew...

how immoral!

How selfish!

Indeed Large C that was a peach of a speach.

Smoking ban already came to Samui back in a day - I think it was late 2008. Signs were printed and 2 months later smoked by the owners. It's not that anything is gonna change anytime soon and if I didn't smoke I still wouldn't care as I prefer choices in life, not that someone always points out where to take a dump...

Haven't heard of this. We open at noon and close at 2 PM. And we're only 200 metres from the local cop shop. So I'm sure these new rules are false!

No wonder SC, you are only open 2 hours a day.

Haven't heard of this. We open at noon and close at 2 PM. And we're only 200 metres from the local cop shop. So I'm sure these new rules are false!

No wonder SC, you are only open 2 hours a day.

:) Opps. Make that "2 AM". It really is too early in the morning for posts!!!! :D

these "ideas" have presumably come from a high-ranking govt official/police officer.

so what is the research behind it?

what principles is it based on?

What are the intended results?

or is it just the ramblings of a guy (not a woman) who in any other country would be sacked for such an inane piece of work.

And bars open till 2 am?

pew...

how immoral!

How selfish!

I assume you mean the written expression of thoughts - Yes!

So that you have something to comment on.... people are kind around here!

These new laws one will here about the very moment they are enforced and the BiB's are cashing in on the "offenses"!

I assume you mean the written expression of thoughts - Yes!

So that you have something to comment on.... people are kind around here!

These new laws one will here about the very moment they are enforced and the BiB's are cashing in on the "offenses"!

What? Don't understand you post!!!!!