Thai Police Force Must Undergo An Urgent Overhaul

webfact

EDITORIAL

Police force must undergo an urgent overhaul

By The Nation

The public associates the police with extortion and corruption; isn't it time we started to clean up law enforcement?

BANGKOK: -- Former prime minister Chuan Leekpai, chairman of the Democrat Party's advisory team, has suggested that the national police force should be reformed, pointing to the agency's ineffectiveness in the midst of the recent chaos in Bangkok and other parts of the country.

While the timing of his statement may come across as a form of payback for the police's foot-dragging in cracking down on the red-shirt protesters over the past two months, one cannot dismiss the argument that the police need a serious overhaul, starting with the recruitment process and the need for clarification over their mandate, responsibilities and duties.

It is a sad reality that law enforcement officers in Thailand aren't exactly a source of comfort for the public. This attitude has been around for a long time but nothing has been done to remedy it.

There was talk about adding a civilian layer to the police force during the Surayud Chulanont interim administration. But with just a year in office, there wasn't much Surayud could really do. But some of the ideas discussed then are still applicable. They include making the police force more accountable to the public, with a civilian oversight to ensure transparency and accountability.

Time and again the police force has brought upon itself unwanted but needed criticism. Every day there is corruption on the streets, and during the current protracted political crisis there have been allegations of political favouritism by the police. It all leads to the image of the police being damaged goods.

For as long as anybody can remember, transferring an errant officer to a different post elsewhere has been the preferred way to deal with wrongdoing or corruption. A new policy must hold wrongdoers in the police force to the same benchmark as criminals.

Senior officers see punishment and the reprimand of fellow officers as a responsibility reserved for themselves and nobody else. But a mechanism to conduct cross-checking and to hold corrupt or ineffective officers accountable could help weed out the bad apples from the good.

During the Thaksin Shinawatra regime, the police were instrumental in carrying out the controversial "war on drugs" that resulted in the deaths of some 2,500 people during a three-month campaign. Questions remain about the victims of this campaign, and law enforcement officers have yet to provide answers to any of the cases. This raises the question of the credibility of the officers who have dealt with these investigations.

The high-profile case of missing human rights lawyer Somchai Neelapaijit also illustrates the inefficiency of police investigations, partly because the case involves fellow officers.

The fact that much police work has fallen foul of political interference and influence does not free police officers from their responsibility to protect and enforce the law.

The country needs to come up with ways that permit public participation in keeping the police in line. Like it or not, the public generally associates the police with corruption and extortion. A quick glance around the city, and there are plenty of examples. We see the police set up checkpoints to issue tickets to drivers and motorbike riders without proper documents or helmets. Are these the only times they can catch traffic offenders? Routine patrols or community outreach efforts are often conducted in front of television cameras to generate good publicity, but not much happens after that.

In Thai soap operas and movies, the police are portrayed as heroes. Indeed, it's easier to romanticise good and respectable law enforcement than to confront the reality.

It's time for the public to reclaim control over the agency that is supposed to protect and serve the people.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-05-28

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Like 1

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing like stating the obvious, will it ever happen>>>>>>>LOL you really want an answer

Too much money at stake and that is what controls everything..inc the Police :)

I second this. Good luck reforming the police here. There whole existance is based on corruption and payoffs. They are nowhere to be found after dark except where the money is. If they had done their job the protests would have remained peaceful without weapons. Yesterday on Sukumvit/Ekamai instead of controlling traffic and mantaining order they chose to collect citation money causing traffic bottlenecks. Thaksin was a police officer need I say more?

I've been hearing this sort of pie in the sky stuff for 20 years now. It would take a seismic change in attitudes in the police hierarchy to achieve even a small amount of change.

Forget it. It's not going to happen. Not in our lifetimes anyway.

Maybe all the farangs will be happy when Thailand is a police state like the UK and America?

Or maybe they'd be happy if the police simply performed their duties properly with honor and without the endless extortion attempts.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Maybe there's hope. Police reform was always a must in Thailand, but it never had the sense of urgency it has now, as the red protest/insurgency revealed the RTP to be essentially a fifth column. They have to undergo serious reform and somehow be ripped from the bosom of their Montenegrin master. Plus I think the problem is not just misplaced loyalty but also poor training in non-lethal riot control. I think even if they wanted to, most police here wouldn't know HOW to successfully contain aggressive groups who challenge their authority - without shooting them all.

My letter on the topic was published in the Nation this past Monday ('The failure and disgrace of Thai police') with the obvious point that had the police done their jobs, the protests would never have spiralled out of control & turned into an insurrection.

Anyway, the issue is front & center now. Let's see if the gov't can actually do something this time.

Edited by bkkdave11

In Hong Kong corruption was rampant especially in the police until the Independent Commission Against Corruption ICAC was created in 1977.

The ICAC was created to root out corruption; unlike the old police Anti-Corruption Branch, the ICAC would be answerable to only the Governor of Hong Kong. Their tactics and methods were often crude and aggressive in the extreme, often swooping on a police station to take an entire shift in for questioning. Ultimately though their shock tactics were effective and as a result Hong Kong was transformed from a graft-ridden city into one of the cleanest places in the world, as recognized by international institutions such as the World Bank, the Heritage Foundation and Transparency International.

That was 37 years ago and despite a return to mainland China continues today. Maybe Thailand needs to look at a similar system for here.

Nothing like stating the obvious, will it ever happen>>>>>>>LOL you really want an answer

Too much money at stake and that is what controls everything..inc the Police :)

I would dissolve the police completely and start all over. Thailand will be better off to heir missionaries to guard its streets.

I would put the military in charge of watching the country till a police force is crested from scratch. It is impossible to fix the Thai mafia, ups I mean police force

In Hong Kong corruption was rampant especially in the police until the Independent Commission Against Corruption ICAC was created in 1977.

The ICAC was created to root out corruption; unlike the old police Anti-Corruption Branch, the ICAC would be answerable to only the Governor of Hong Kong. Their tactics and methods were often crude and aggressive in the extreme, often swooping on a police station to take an entire shift in for questioning. Ultimately though their shock tactics were effective and as a result Hong Kong was transformed from a graft-ridden city into one of the cleanest places in the world, as recognized by international institutions such as the World Bank, the Heritage Foundation and Transparency International.

That was 37 years ago and despite a return to mainland China continues today. Maybe Thailand needs to look at a similar system for here.

Could work, but who knows. Who would police the police who are policing the police?

LOL. That is a funny sentence. Correct in every way but it sounds nonsensical.

One of my pet peeves is the armed thieves (police) that collects extortion money all morning for motorcyclists without helmets and then drive off on their bikes...WITHOUT WEARING A HELMET THEMSELVES! I have no problem with them writing tickets to be paid at the station for riding without helmets by the way.

Edited by bunta71

One of my pet peeves is the armed thieves (police) that collects extortion money all morning for motorcyclists without helmets and then drive off on their bikes...WITHOUT WEARING A HELMET THEMSELVES! I have no problem with them writing tickets to be paid at the station for riding without helmets by the way.

You usually have a choice pay 200bht at the scene or 1000Bht at the Police station later. Guess what most do

My plan to make the Thai Police more respected and professional;

The only way a national police force can move away from corruption is to task an outside entity with the job. Successful transitions will only be possible if this entity is a separate body and not connected to the command structure or police control. In some countries there are departments of professional standards or departments of law enforcement that are responsible not only for the investigations of crime and corruption of police but also to regulate and approve minimum training requirements of each officer. The basic training should include professionalism, a code of conduct, civil rights, civil liability, and integrity along with all the other normal officer training. The police command structure also would not be able to employ or promote an officer without that officer having been certified as meeting minimum standards by this department. This department should have the power to remove an officer’s certificate or badge should he/she fail to keep up with the minimum training standards, be found in violation of professional standards or upon being convicted of a crime. Any violations such as purchasing positions or promotions within the police hierarchy would be investigated and enforced by this department with out interference from the police. This Department would also have the authority to seek warrants of arrests for criminal acts by police officers and to assist the prosecution of all such cases. Any interference from police in any investigation by this department would be deemed an obstruction of justice and those making such interference would be subject to criminally charged. Above all this department shall remain answerable only to the central government and not in any way be under the authority or control of the police. This department would also have its own internal investigations unit responsible for monitoring its own investigators who are to be subject to the same rules that have been put fourth for police officers. This internal unit shall be directly under the authority of the head of this department. As an added note; Officers should no longer be allowed to receive payment for a traffic fine or anything else. All fines should be made at a later date to a centralized court system and the handling of fines or any other currency would be illegal for police officers or offices to handle. Let’s take the handling of fines and any other cash totally out of police authority. The only exception would be the paying of bond money, that would only be to a jail office and it would be well documented. Confiscated cash would be heavily documented, tracked and secured. All allegations incidents of missing or lost money from arrests would be investigated by the new department.

they should have realised that after the airport closures, that caused misery for thousands and still resulted in 0 arrests. that protest was aimed mainly at foreiners though.

Edited by NALAK

This is precisely the reason Abhisit is needed in this country - he is honest. He knows how Thailand must change, what is needed both to improve law and order enforcement issues as well as to begin to confront corruption. A formidable task indeed, but Abhisit is Thailand's best chance to make some progress.

Edited by Lopburi99
  • Like 1

This is precisely the reason Abhisit is needed in this country - he is honest. He knows how Thailand must change, what is needed both to improve law and order enforcement issues as well as to begin to confront corruption. A formidable task indeed, but Abhisit is Thailand's best chance to make some progress.

Police only work for the money, and are in many instances tied in with a system of corrupt lawyers who feed them with victims and share handsomely from which ever party pays the most money. Fraud cases are very common in Thailand and there are never easy solutions for bringing about justice. Lawyer work very hard to share in the spoils, and are prone to taking payoffs to bury cases in conjunction with crooked officials. The whole policing system needs a complete overhaul.

I tell my friends that come and visit here to not be fooled by the police uniforms, and mistakenly think that the Thai police are actually public servants tasked to help people. After ten years here, I see them as nothing more than a giant mafia sanctioned by the government. To use the word Royal in front of their name I consider to be a serious insult to the Monarchy. The function of the police seems to be to gather up billions of baht, and send it up the ladder to the higher ups with mansions and mia nois......Crime is only addressed if they can make money from it.

My condo in Pattaya issues a yearly accounting, and on it is 30,000 baht paid to the Thai police. When I questioned in amazement why we were paying the police, I was informed that if the money was not paid, the police would either not show up to take care of problems, or would show up and start issuing fines for things that were " wrong" with the building.

All the Thai people hate the police, as in essence they are a leach upon the backs of poor people. While the farangs find it irritating to pay a 300 baht fine at one of the endless roadside shakedown points, to a local Thai that represents serious money. I did get a laugh last month during the middle of the red shirt rally/destruction of tourism. As the government no longer trusted the police to do their job at checkpoints leading into Bangkok from Isan, they posted soldiers at every checkpoint. So with the soldiers watching, they could no longer do their customary shakedown of all the vehicles traveling by. So for the very first time traveling from Nong Khai to Bangkok, I was not stopped at a single checkpoint !!!!

Edited by rhiekel

To change the police force will be a long and hard road. With so many areas of society seemingly not on the up and up, so many people taught by example that he/she with the most money makes the rules, where many business disputes are solved by the rule of the gun and so much money involved.... How can they even begin to tackle the police? They can even get public transportation in Phuket.

To clean up the police force will take a miracle and let's be honest, Thailand has outlawed all miracles.

Good luck to whoever decides to publicly head this drive. They will need to have eyes in the back of their head.

TheWalkingMan

If the police were paid a reasonable wage, and at the same time an effective complaints comission and an independent corruption agency were formed, something might be accomplished. The practise of auctioning high income generating senior postings might be a good place to start. Low ranking police need to collect tea money to turn an insufficient wage into a living one. High ranking Police regard their black income as a perk of the job and frequently become so involved with protecting criminality that it's difficult to judge where the police end and the criminals begin. Drug dealing and manufacture, dodgy real estate deals, arms supply, and the endemic prostitution industry are all areas where high ranking police officers can collect many times their annual salary from a single protection deal. In some cases and localities senior police officers control these industries themselves. This is the sort of thing that must be addressed to restore credability to the police force. However the issue of political favouritism will doubtless receive the most attention initially, because the instigators of these proposed clean up campaigns are politicians.