Local Dispute Over Parking.

centrico

how do you unlock the car from a window crack? and how do neighbors always know what is going on outside of their homes with regards to parking? do they all sit outside chewing on grass and drinking tea all day?

Edited by Chunky1

how do you unlock the car from a window crack? and how do neighbors always know what is going on outside of their homes with regards to parking? do they all sit outside chewing on grass and drinking tea all day?

The crack at the top I could get my fingers into, which allowed me to push the window down far enough to be able to get my hand in to reach the lock and open it.

And its a row of shophouses, so they almost all have businesses, so yes they know what's going on at all times as they're sitting in their businesses with the roller shutter open all day and much of the night.

Ok? Mysteries solved to your satisfaction?

op have u considered ringing his bell, getting down on the floor, waiing him, and begging for forgiveness along with a bottle of whiskey (the favorite farang method of problem solving) or basket of bird nest? might be easier than moving. :)

Edited by Chunky1

The crack at the top I could get my fingers into, which allowed me to push the window down far enough to be able to get my hand in to reach the lock and open it.

And its a row of shophouses, so they almost all have businesses, so yes they know what's going on at all times as they're sitting in their businesses with the roller shutter open all day and much of the night.

must have been a very old car. i doubt u would have pulled a move like this on a merc or a benz. :)

have any of you guys ever considered blocking your driveway with a plant/cone?

must have been a very old car. i doubt u would have pulled a move like this on a merc or a benz. :)

have any of you guys ever considered blocking your driveway with a plant/cone?

It was a Mitsu Lancer. 2 generations back. Probably about 12 years old.

I've put down plant pots and they considerately moved them to the side before parking.

The thing is, I didn't mind them parking there as long as they'd move the car when I asked. I'm never in such a hurry I can't wait a couple of minutes. But they parked one of their cars and then left in another, leaving me unable to get my car out. Meaning I was trapped at home and I'd arranged to meet someone. Strange mindset that rewards someone being kind enough to let you use part of a property they pay the rent for, by acting so selfishly.

Edited by Theyreallrubbish

I lived in the same house for over 10 years. I thought I must have a car magnet. Everyone parked in front of my house. It was a perennial problem. They didn't usually block the drive way, but they like to have the rear end of the car enough over the edge that getting in and out was tricky and difficult.

It was most exasperating as we have two cars and there was room in the driveway for one (two if one was behind), but with very different schedules this wasn't feasible. I never understood why people insisted in parking in front of my house when they had room in front of their own house. Very strange. Had some uncomfortable moments, but nothing that wasn't manageable. They never parked in front of anyone elses house except mine!

I have recently moved into a very, very nice moo bahn in a different part of BKK and the roads are very wide and there is plenty of parking space--at least for now. Life is much easier.

At least potted plants didn't come into play.

:D

I was wondering when the dreaded potted plants would be mentioned! :)

I do not know how to link that thread, can someone do it for me please? There was lots of good advice in it.

I think the title was idiots living oposite me.

At least potted plants didn't come into play.

:D

I was wondering when the dreaded potted plants would be mentioned! :)

I do not know how to link that thread, can someone do it for me please? There was lots of good advice in it.

I think the title was idiots living oposite me.

Here ya go:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Idiots-Livin...te-t309941.html

I appreciate the comments. The day has been more stressful for the wife than for me.

Over all I believe I was patient. I had talked to him about moving the car but to no avail, bipped the horn as we in the soi usually do also to no avail. Perked right up to his bumper too.

A few posters mention keying the car. I feel that would have been too obvious and also expensive to fix and I could be charged with vandalism. Not really worth the hassle.

Yes, I lost my temper and slapped the roof of the car with the flat of my hand as he made to drive away. Tonight I find out the police have photographed the damage to his car. The police also said it was a punch that did the damage.

The damage itself is at the rear of the roof above the back of the rear door near the gutter. A dent. On reflection I know I slapped the roof I definitely did not punch it and the slap was nearer the middle of the roof. I am now thinking that I did not cause the dent though I cannot be certain. It will remain one of life's imponderables.

At the end of the day the 2,000 Baht was worth it. The fee was negotiated down from 6,000 Baht by the wife who phoned her brother in law to come out and assess the damage. The Brother works as an insurance assessor and on the phone he said a maximum of 2,000 Baht. Thank you, Teerak for your work on this :)

But I now know there is a lot more to this than a neighbour parking his car inconsiderately and am posting another topic regards that next.

Why didn't you just park your car outside his house?

His outside yours. Yours outside his. Perfect Thai logic.

Then buy some old rust-bucket banger. Then park that outside his house. He won't be long wanting to swop back.

Edited by thomo

Wouldn't a simple 'No Parking" sign on the gate have prevented all this? For some reason Thais seem to take them very seriously.

Precisely, folks seem to understand that access should not be restricted when a no parking sign is displayed, mine cost 10 baht and it works!!

A splash of paint stripper accidentally of course works too but then of course there is that bloody Karma issue.

Edited by Pushit

Wouldn't a simple 'No Parking" sign on the gate have prevented all this? For some reason Thais seem to take them very seriously.

Precisely, folks seem to understand that access should not be restricted when a no parking sign is displayed, mine cost 10 baht and it works!!

A splash of paint stripper accidentally of course works too but then of course there is that bloody Karma issue.

If not a no parking sign, maybe a couple of those orange cones would do the trick.

I might have gone out & bought a floor jack & shifted his ride far far from my gate.

This is the correct response. Simply buy a rolling jack. You jack up the car and move it into a more suitable position that allows you to get your car out. Hopefully you leave the offending vehicle positioned in an orientation between two stationary objects in such a way that it can not be removed without a similar jack. You can get cars into amazingly tight spots with 2 such jacks. Be careful not to damage the car in the process. Just move it out of the way.

That jack would have cost you only slightly more than 2000 baht, and at the end of it you get a jack.

This is done all the time at parking lots when a moron double parks and sets his parking brake or leaves the car in 'P'. I have had to use this maneuver myself on occasion. Nobody will fault you for this, as it is the expected response to being blocked in when the owner of the vehicle is not available.

The best place to leave the car after jacking it up is dependent on the situation. You have to examine the immediate environment. Hopefully, you can find somewhere suitably difficult that will prevent said moron from parking in such an unfriendly manner again.

The OP was very lucky he was able to get out of this with his skin intact.

I urge everyone not to repeat his careless mistakes. This was a very poor showing by a farang who allowed his anger to overwhelm his better judgement. This is what makes Thais despise us all.

The beauty of this place is you can hire folks to move the cars for you for 200 Baht a day. May as well hire two of them. Get them whistles too. Sometimes the best revenge is just being better off and not getting bothered over anything.

:)