Suzuki Gsxr 1000 K6 Steering Stem Lock Nut Special Tool

HI Guys,

Want to repair a cracked stop and install some new tapered steering stem bearings on my K6 but have run into a snag.

01a_041.jpg

Happy to buy a beer or two for anyone who can help me out. beerchug.gif

Anyone know a DIY way to remove the steering stem lock nut on a GSXR1000 without the special tool? Even better- anyone have this tool that I can rent or borrow? :)

SteeringStemNutWrench.jpg

Here's what the lock nut looks like:

SteeringStemLockNut.jpg

I think it will next to impossible to find this tool here and I'd hate to waste the time and money to have one sent all the way to Thailand.

Hoping someone knows a way!

Thanks for your help! beerchug.gif

Tony

NinjaGixxer2Sm.jpg

tony i'll ask my mechanic who currently does my xv750 ,he builds up a lot of bikes and probably has most tools too maybe he got this one also....will meet him on monday anyways...will let you know.

happy trials

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

PS: do you have a picture of how that tool looks?

tony i'll ask my mechanic who currently does my xv750 ,he builds up a lot of bikes and probably has most tools too maybe he got this one also....will meet him on monday anyways...will let you know.

happy trials

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Cheers mbox- this is what the steering stem lock nut (left) and special steering stem socket (right) look like:

SteeringStemNutSocket.jpg

The socket above is homemade. This is what the genuine Suzuki socket looks like:

t_20153.jpg

Same same but different :D

I've been reading that some guys make the special socket themselves by cutting up a 32mm socket with a dremel... Might be worth a try.

The OEM Suzuki special parts (09940-14911: Steering stem nut wrench and 09940-14960: Steering stem nut wrench socket) are well over $100 shipping not included... :)

I think I'll try to make the socket myself. Doubt it will be as pretty as the one above, but as long as it gets the job done!

Ride On!

Tony

happy trials

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Cheers mbox- this is what the steering stem lock nut (left) and special steering stem socket (right) look like:

SteeringStemNutSocket.jpg

The socket above is homemade. This is what the genuine Suzuki socket looks like:

t_20153.jpg

Same same but different :D

I've been reading that some guys make the special socket themselves by cutting up a 32mm socket with a dremel... Might be worth a try.

The OEM Suzuki special parts (09940-14911: Steering stem nut wrench and 09940-14960: Steering stem nut wrench socket) are well over $100 shipping not included... :)

I think I'll try to make the socket myself. Doubt it will be as pretty as the one above, but as long as it gets the job done!

Ride On!

Tony

I am sure you could get it made up too...but it is not as much fun than driving up north get the wrench & some drinks and pass out :-)

I'll see what my mechanic says on monday .

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

I am sure you could get it made up too...but it is not as much fun than driving up north get the wrench & some drinks and pass out :-)

I'll see what my mechanic says on monday .

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Muahaha! Hey! That is a BRILLIANT idea! Ride up on the Ninja, enjoy your wonderful hospitality, pass out and hopefully wake up with your mechanic's tool in my pants :)

(There's no rush and the new steering stem probably won't arrive for another week or two anyway.)

You are DA MAN!

Look forward to hearing from you on Monday.

Cheers!

Tony

2008 Ninja 250R

2009 Kawasaki Diablo Black ER6n: Two Brothers M2 V.A.L.E Aluminum Slip-On, Two Brothers Juice Box, Winning G1.3 Power Ignition Booster, PAIR Valve Plugged, Air Box Baffles Removed, DIY Tail Tidy, Aluminum and Delrin Frame Sliders and Swing Arm Spools, ProGrip Carbon Fiber Tank Protector

2010 Lime Green Ninja 650R is here! w00t.gif Arrow Exhaust, Sport Bars, Integrated Tail Light, Tail Tidy, Lotsa Carbon Fiber Bling! naughty.gif PCV and Autotune, Spiegler Lines EBC HH Pads woot.gif

2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 K6 aka THE BEAST! worshippy.gif

Tony,

Is there a reason why you can't just use a flat bladed screwdriver or a punch and a hammer and just drift it loose? Looks pretty similar to the standard setup on most bikes and that's the method I've used for years. I also use it on shocks that have wind down preload rings. Maybe I am missing something or maybe it is exposed and you don't want to gnarl it up - understandable on such a pretty bike.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Tony,

Is there a reason why you can't just use a flat bladed screwdriver or a punch and a hammer and just drift it loose? Looks pretty similar to the standard setup on most bikes and that's the method I've used for years. I also use it on shocks that have wind down preload rings. Maybe I am missing something or maybe it is exposed and you don't want to gnarl it up - understandable on such a pretty bike.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Pikey,

Amen,

I new I should have got out of bed earlier :)

Using a tapered Punch will concentrate the force at the base of the indent and reduce marring. But mine is hidden from view underneath the top of the triple clamp.

But riding and beer sounds good to.

Edited by VocalNeal

Tony,

Cheers,

Pikey.

Cheers Pikey,

Sure a hammer and a brass drift will work fine for dis assembly, but when re-assembling there will be no way to properly torque the steering stem. That's not the kind of thing I like to leave up to chance. Would you?

These C wrenches can be found at most tool shops, ask if they have one with a 1/2" drive slot cut then you can use it with a torque wrench, if not the standard one is good to make accurate adjustments on the bearing lock nuts.

post-19959-1275305224.jpg

Tony,

Cheers,

Pikey.

Cheers Pikey,

Sure a hammer and a brass drift will work fine for dis assembly, but when re-assembling there will be no way to properly torque the steering stem. That's not the kind of thing I like to leave up to chance. Would you?

On that model bike, the front wheel spends most of its time airborne, so would it really matter? :)

Tony,

That "nut" does not need to be overtight and I am surprised a torque measurement is even quoted as this will vary with wear on the bearings. If that nut is too tight, it compresses the bearings (needle rollers are a very precise bit of kit). The idea is to have the front wheel off the ground and adjust the tension on the bearings via that nut so as a gentle push on the bars to the left and right sees the forks & wheel turning smoothly. Flopping to either side or resistance (notchiness) indicates that the nut is either too loose or too tight. No need for a torque wrench there mate!

Obviously, if you have a steering damper, disconnect the sucker first. :)

Cheers,

Pikey.

Tony,

That "nut" does not need to be overtight and I am surprised a torque measurement is even quoted as this will vary with wear on the bearings. If that nut is too tight, it compresses the bearings (needle rollers are a very precise bit of kit). The idea is to have the front wheel off the ground and adjust the tension on the bearings via that nut so as a gentle push on the bars to the left and right sees the forks & wheel turning smoothly. Flopping to either side or resistance (notchiness) indicates that the nut is either too loose or too tight. No need for a torque wrench there mate!

Obviously, if you have a steering damper, disconnect the sucker first. :D

Cheers,

Pikey.

Cheers Pikey,

Torque measurements are indeed specified for the Gixxer:

Steering stem nut: 45 N·m (4.5 kgf-m, 32.5 lb-ft)

Steering stem lock-nut: 90 N·m (9.0 kgf-m, 65.0 lb-ft)

And as you note, too tight and you'll damage the bearings, too loose and you'll have play in your front end.

I'm ok with guesstimating these torque values on my bicycle, but would rather not leave it to chance on a GSX-R 1k :)

Anyway- I've taken the front end apart with a brass drift and will bring one of the stem nuts to a local metal shop and ask them to make me a special socket that I can use with my torque wrench. Something like this :

IMG_6970.jpg

IMG_6966.jpg

Ride On!

Tony

Tony, sorry i didn't actually go to see my mechanic today ...but i guess you getting a tool done already...well that gives than more time for us to "beverage" and "pass out" :-)

I will visit the mechanic (and my naked XV 750) tomorrow and still have a look and see if he has this piece and let you know,

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Tony, sorry i didn't actually go to see my mechanic today ...but i guess you getting a tool done already...well that gives than more time for us to "beverage" and "pass out" :-)

I will visit the mechanic (and my naked XV 750) tomorrow and still have a look and see if he has this piece and let you know,

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Cheers Mbox,

I just took apart the front end this evening so was planning to visit a metal shop tomorrow afternoon to see about having a custom socket made. If you happen to visit your mechanic tomorrow and he has the special tool give me a call, ok?

Beers are on me either way! beerchug.gif

Ride On!

Tony

2008 Ninja 250R

2009 Kawasaki Diablo Black ER6n: Two Brothers M2 V.A.L.E Aluminum Slip-On, Two Brothers Juice Box, Winning G1.3 Power Ignition Booster, PAIR Valve Plugged, Air Box Baffles Removed, DIY Tail Tidy, Aluminum and Delrin Frame Sliders and Swing Arm Spools, ProGrip Carbon Fiber Tank Protector

2010 Lime Green Ninja 650R is here! w00t.gif Arrow Exhaust, Sport Bars, Integrated Tail Light, Tail Tidy, Lotsa Carbon Fiber Bling! naughty.gif PCV and Autotune, Spiegler Lines EBC HH Pads woot.gif

Any official Suzuki service center should be able to help you, the GSX-R1000 steering stem is identical to the Hayabusa steering stem (for a few years).

Hi Richard,

I wasn't aware that there are any Suzuki Big Bike service centers in Thailand.

You might want to tell your friends at Suzuki Thailand that their website (http://www.thaisuzuki.co.th/) is flagged by google as containing MALICIOUS SOFTWARE!

Per Google Diagnostic page for www.thaisuzuki.co.th: "Malicious software includes 3 exploit(s), 1 scripting exploit(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 1 new process(es) on the target machine."

If there is really a Suzuki Big Bike service center can you point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Tony

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Any official Suzuki service center should be able to help you, the GSX-R1000 steering stem is identical to the Hayabusa steering stem (for a few years).

Hi Richard,

I wasn't aware that there are any Suzuki Big Bike service centers in Thailand.

You might want to tell your friends at Suzuki Thailand that their website (http://www.thaisuzuki.co.th/) is flagged by google as containing MALICIOUS SOFTWARE!

Per Google Diagnostic page for www.thaisuzuki.co.th: "Malicious software includes 3 exploit(s), 1 scripting exploit(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 1 new process(es) on the target machine."

If there is really a Suzuki Big Bike service center can you point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Tony

I have to second the malicious story over suzuki's thai website ..but was "brave" enough to ignore all the warnings and entered it...but that was on a linux machine :) still for a company like that it is a bit poor to have crap website like that...but than again look at aphonda which ain't any better.

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Cheers Mbox,

I just took apart the front end this evening so was planning to visit a metal shop tomorrow afternoon to see about having a custom socket made. If you happen to visit your mechanic tomorrow and he has the special tool give me a call, ok?

Beers are on me either way! beerchug.gif

Ride On!

Tony

2008 Ninja 250R

Hi Tony...my mechanic doesn't have this tool, i asked him today- sorry :D ...but the good news my newly painted Tank/fenders and sides just returned for my xv750 and it isn't quite the color i selected but this one looks even better now :-) It was said the Bike will be ready this week....dam_n for that broken toe :-(

I did the Beer thing already.....but i didn't pass out :):D yet.

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

These C wrenches can be found at most tool shops, ask if they have one with a 1/2" drive slot cut then you can use it with a torque wrench, if not the standard one is good to make accurate adjustments on the bearing lock nuts.

My thoughts exactly. Any good bicycle shop (yes, I am talking about pedal power!!) will have these in various sizes as they have been used for decades on racing bicycles and are now used on a lot of the new style bottom brackets on all styles of good quality bikes.

A cracked stop.

sounds like it`s had a front ender, what else is iffy on it

maybe worth getting it jigged

Yes, valid concern- I'm having the forks checked and rebuilt now.

GixxerForksSmSSR.jpg

The GSX-R frame is massive- this picture doesn't capture just how huge and solid the frame is-

GixxerUndone3SmSSR.jpg

I knocked out the bearings and races and they are undamaged. Other than the broken stop the steering stem is undamaged. Don't know anyplace in Thailand that can check a frame but I'm pretty confident it's straight and true. The steering stop definitely seems to be the weak point, but in a way that's a good thing as it will take the impact in a crash and break before the frame. Looks to me like this stop was already repaired once before:

K6SteeringStem3SmSSR.jpg

I have a new steering stem on the way from the US and will see if I can't get this damaged one repaired. I've seen some GSXR track bikes where they cut off the Aluminum stops and replace them with delrin stops that are bolted to the stem. That way in a crash the delrin takes the impact and is easily replaced.

Ride On!

Tony

Whose rebuilding your forks ?? and is it expensive ??

Would quite like to have my front forks checked over, they feel a bit firm (high rebound) but am unsure if 1) some idiot has had a go at tuning all the settings or 2) the removal of all the fairing and raiding of the bars has reduced front end load.

Not even sure theres a problem, Just something thats on my mind.

FWIW I have clocked a few thousand km on this Gixxer and other than the cracked stop and a couple of "Thai-style" fairing fixes I haven't discovered any other problems and she handles like a dream-

Ride On!

Tony

041610GixxerSm.jpg

Whose rebuilding your forks ?? and is it expensive ??

Would quite like to have my front forks checked over, they feel a bit firm (high rebound) but am unsure if 1) some idiot has had a go at tuning all the settings or 2) the removal of all the fairing and raiding of the bars has reduced front end load.

Not even sure theres a problem, Just something thats on my mind.

I recommend Khun Boy at Chicane- he's an experienced racer does good work at very reasonable prices and knows race bikes like the back of his hand. Are we allowed to post phone numbers on this forum??? :)

Big props to RED BARON!

I ordered a new Ram Air Duct for my Gixxer and went to pick it up today.

I'd put down a 2000 Baht deposit on the item so imagine my surprise when I went there today and they gave me the part and 160 Baht in change because they overcharged me for the part. :D

That kind of honesty is pretty dam_n rare in Thailand (or anywhere) these days! :)

Despite Red Baron's reputation for being expensive this part ended costing me quite a bit less than if I'd ordered it in the US.

They now have a brand new 2009 GSX-R 1000 on the floor- stunning bike. Only 768000 Baht :D

091002-0000415.jpg

Huge props to Khun Boy at Chicane Moto! :)

Dropped off my forks for new oil and seals and while there asked if he could help me get my new bearing races seated. (They're recessed into the steering head so can't just hammer them in with a block of wood as I've done on other bikes).

SuzukiSpclToolRaceInstlr.jpg

He promptly rummaged through a box of tools and handed me the Suzuki Special Tool-

BearingRaceTool2SSR.jpg

I've heard many good things about Khun Boy but this is the first time I've ever done business with him. Needless to say I'm VERY impressed.

The bearing races are now properly installed and I'm just waiting on the new steering stem from the US and the re-built forks from Khun Boy and the Gixxer will be back in business!

BearingRaceToolSSR.jpg

Left the steering stem with the busted stop at Khun Boy's shop and he said he'd try to fix it-

K6SteeringStem3SmSSR.jpg

Would be nice to keep it as a spare- that steering stem is almost $500 new! :D

Can't wait to get this bike back on the road!

Thanks to all of you who've offered helpful advice- hope I can buy you a beer one of these fine days! beerchug.gif

Happy Trails!

Tony