Raw Sewage On Lamai Beach

I was out for my early morning stroll on Lamai Beach today, and as I started to near Pavilion Resort at the far end of Lamai, was hit by the most hideous smell imaginable at 7am in the morning. After a little bit of heaving I looked up to investigate and saw a hose pipe pumping out raw sewage out onto the beach, which was then slowy making its way to the sea.

It wasnt from the Pavilion resort, but from one of the more shoddy looking places to the left of it.

This has left me absolutely disgusted - how can people get away with this, this shit will sit on the sand all day whilst kiddies on their holidays run around nearby.

Is there not somewhere that these things can be reported to?

This has certainly changed my views on which beach (if any) I shall be choosing for my morning walks!!!

Thanks for letting me share that with you :o

Welcome to Thailand. Pristine beaches are vanishing quickly. Sometimes after a small storm there is kneedeep waste on the beach. Not wood but plastic and other garbage. Which of course gets burned making toxic fumes and waste you can not easily remove.

A few more years and whole Samui is a big garbage dump.

Time for the authorities to do something about it.

they pump raw sewage into maenam beach too it is bloody awful to see. as for lamai i haven't been back since i saw a a young thai girl take a big khrap on the sandcastle her dad had made. i hate to see that kind of thing but what can you do eh?

The Pavilion Resort Management would likely take the matter up with the local government authority. They are affected by it too.

Is this the same Pavilion resort that posted in the BKK post that they did not want any americans to stay at his resort?

PKG

The Pavilion Resort Management would likely take the matter up with the local government authority. They are affected by it too.

Well, only if foreigners start to complain about it. You know how thais are with their Mai Pen Rai crap. They will never report it... They dislike the smell too but leave it at that... Very few Thais actually complain about things others do.

Lets hope they start to complain about their own people doing stuff like this... so that it doesn't always have to be the 'farang' who complains about things

After the publicity about business being right down in Phuket and alternatively Koh Sumai probably becoming the "flavour of the year", consider the probability of well paid sabotage by the Koh Sumai sewerage Kon Thai Puchai. A little bit of smelly anti-publicity goes a long way.

Imagine the new advertising publicity line for Phuket----"Business is up in Koh Sumai, in fact brimming over....to be seen and smelt on the beaches". ..."Come to beautiful Phuket- No little floaters in Phuket waters". :o

It's all a big plot folks; business rivalry . :D (Seriously though one would hope they get their act together).

Edited by Jing Joe

Help save Thailand from the mostly but not all people here!

They are mostly soooo proud they cant take any input from the people who know either!

I know a Thai woman from Hawaii now (for 20 years) who says she will never come back to help this country because she tried for 7 years and the people where hopeless to changing their hopeless ways!

Wake up Thai people, you are destroying your own country and quickly too!

Listen to the King of Thailand he is into doing things naturally and wise!

Yep. Nice guy actually. Has morals  :o

this makes me laugh. I hope the sewage stinks up his resort and his business goes into the sh1tter. (no pun intended)

PKG

u r right, absolutely! Must be a German or French a.h.

Thai actually. And I think he'll complain, not really a mai pen rai type of guy.

Well, only if foreigners start to complain about it. You know how thais are with their Mai Pen Rai crap. They will never report it... They dislike the smell too but leave it at that... Very few Thais actually complain about things others do.

Lets hope they start to complain about their own people doing stuff like this... so that it doesn't always have to be the 'farang' who complains about things

Let's be very ######ing careful about what you are implying there. First of all, there are no Thai mothers and fathers that want their little boys or girls to get sick from diseases from playing on a polluted beach (polluted by feces from foreigners no less).

I have seen Thai people report or take issue with something that is clearly wrong in a Thai way. They don't make a big ######ing stink (pun intended) about it in front of everyone. Thai way of life works in a very different way than western. If you haven't figured that out yet, maybe you should open your eyes and your mind, and quit wishing it was like it is back home.

There is a difference between making something that is wrong, right, and just complaining.

I have seen many instances of westerners coming to Thailand, and "causing a scene" over the smallest little thing. If you've stayed in Thailand more than about 3 weeks you surely have seen this many times.

There is a code of communication here that is much different than what we would typically see in the west. You have to understand that or you'll never be happy here. You'll just continue to complain about no one complaining.

I can promise you that if you do the wrong thing to a Thai that you could and probably will be dealt with quietly. There is no need to publicly show it.

I've got a couple of anecdotes to highlight what I'm talking about.

Once, I was sitting on Lamai beach with an American friend who was on a business trip to Singapore and popped over for a couple of days. I was trying to explain exactly this type of thing to him.

Along walks a girl with a very small dog that was on a very small leash. The dog obviously didn't want to go for a walk, and was resisting with all it's might and she was pulling the dog along anyways. This older, overweight British woman, yells at her, and runs down to the beach where she was, picks the dog up and puts the dog in the girls arms, and you could see that she was having trouble explaining in English why she needed to carry the dog. The Thai girl didn't argue with the Farang lady... she carried the dog about 5 to 10 feet in her arms, and then when she was far enough away from the lady (without looking back) put the dog back down and went on her way. This gave me and my friend a good laugh...and also highlighted a very Thai trait of not arguing.

The lady walked back to where her friends were and watched in horror as the girl ignored her "authority" and began gossiping and complaining about it to all the friends around her and anyone in audible reach.

What gave this lady the right to tell the girl how to walk the dog? What gave this lady the authority to interject into this girl's life? Would a Thai person ever do that to her? If so, how would the Thai approach the situation? Would it be telling, or suggesting?

Another time, I was at a bar in the jungle, watching some Thai friends play ping pong. These guys worked at another local bar which shut at 2. They loved getting off of work and going to a more Thai place to relax drink whisky, and play ping pong or pool. The ping pong table was new, so it was kind of a hot commodity.

I was watching 3 or 4 of them take turns playing, but no one was keeping score. Everyone was having a good time taking turns laughing and smiling. I played football with these guys everyday before they went to work and it was the same kind of vibe. We split into teams depending on the number of people that showed up to play, but no one really kept score. It was all for fun. It was more like a celebration of the fact that they had a little free time to get exercise with their friends and comrades.

Suddenly, this british guy pulls up in a brand new truck and almost runs someone over because he was so drunk. I'm not picking on the British, but these two stories that come to mind happen to include Brits. He runs up to the ping pong table, and demands to play next round. Irregardless of the fact that there are 4 or 5 people standing around the table. So, after 3 or 4 volleys, this guy gets up there. Suddenly, you would think it was the world championship ping pong finals. He starts imposing all these strict rules, keeping score, and the whole lot. It completely killed the vibe, and became no fun. Slowly, the Thai guys edged over to the pool table a few feet away...leaving the guy who was playing the Brit stuck with him...and me watching in amazement. After the Brit beat the Thai guy, he asked me if I wanted to play and I could only say no. He gave up when no one else wanted to play him.

What gave this guy the right to demand that he play next, and demand to impose strict rules on this game?

These anecdotes are definitely a far cry from sewage pumping onto a beach, but they highlight the differences in culture that are completely ignored time and time again by foreigners living in Thailand.

We are so used to the christian moral authority that dictates our own cultures, that we are used to someone telling us what we can and can't do at all points in time.

There is a system here that governs life. It is a different system than the way we are used to, but it has been in place for hundreds of years. It obviously works. It has not created a society that is the same as London or New York or Berlin, but it works. There's nothing to say that it is better or worse than the western systems. Why don't you appreciate what is here, and quite complaining about what isn't.

My suggestion to the original poster, as Dr. Pat Pong indicates is to take issue up with the Pavillion if it is really affecting you. Do so in a private manner with the manager of the Pavillion. Don't make a big scene in front of a bunch of people.

One reason why a bunch of Thais aren't always pointing out issues is the fact that most Thais don't have the leisurely time to stroll around the country noticing the things that are wrong with it like us Farang tourists and holiday makers do. Most Thais work long hours and spend their time making ends meet, enjoying their families, and trying to have a little fun along the way. But maybe that's wrong.

Yep. Nice guy actually. Has morals  :o

To disagree with the current US executives policy is freedom of speech and thought, to ban a nation of 300m is moronic or is that the essential ingredient of being Thai ? I think so, a nation of self serving morons or quasi intelligent thieves, but only the ones I have met so far, starting from '71.

Another time, I was at a bar in the jungle, watching some Thai friends play ping pong.

Save some time, you don't have to go into the jungle to play ping pong just pop down to Pat Pong you will get a game there no problem.

I was out for my early morning stroll on Lamai Beach today, and as I started to near Pavilion Resort at the far end of Lamai, was hit by the most hideous smell imaginable at 7am in the morning.  After a little bit of heaving I looked up to investigate and saw a hose pipe pumping out raw sewage out onto the beach, which was then slowy making its way to the sea.

It wasnt from the Pavilion resort, but from one of the more shoddy looking places to the left of it.

This has left me absolutely disgusted - how can people get away with this, this shit will sit on the sand all day whilst kiddies on their holidays run around nearby.

Is there not somewhere that these things can be reported to? 

This has certainly changed my views on which beach (if any) I shall be choosing for my morning walks!!!

Thanks for letting me share that with you  :o

You can report to the Samui Tourism Authority of THailand or the Mayor of Samui regarding this matter

A Samui owner I know had sewage regularly pumped onto the beach by his next door neighbour. The authorities turned up one day and accused my friend of doing it. However after they investigated a little they realised it was his neighbour. But said they could do nothing because he was a Thai from Samui!

The people who come from Samui tend to be sacrosanct as far as most officialdom is concerned. They are not very clever and think of only one thing: money. I know many ludicrous stories of perceived self interest taking the high road against co-operation or giving up an inch of land for services etc. Frankly I hope that there is a small ecological problem of some form on Samui to teach the greedy bastards that money is not every thing and you must look after your enviroment, and indeed your customers!

Oh and my friends sewage problem. He got so enraged one day he went round and grabbed the Thai owner by the throat and told him he would shoot if he did it again. That seemed to work! Although generally that is more likely to get you (a non Samui person) shot on Samui!

I can promise you that if you do the wrong thing to a Thai that you could and probably will be dealt with quietly.  There is no need to publicly show it.

I've got a couple of anecdotes to highlight what I'm talking about.

...[stories removed cos they were too boring to repeat!]...

I agree that thais have ways of dealing with issues quietly (though it is usually ineffective or brutally final), but your stories didn't illustrate anything except that there are a lot of boorish brits in thailand! Their actions would be considered inappropriate and rude in their own country too!

Enough said, you're clearly incapable of constructing a reasoned argument so I won't waste any more of my time on you.

I agree with most of what you say but I would take issue about the small dog.

Why wouldnt someone attempt to protect an animal from mistreatment !!! and if the lady could not speak thai,then sign language " putting the dog in her arms" is the only form of communication.

Did the adjective "overweight " add anything to this story....There are fat Thais too !!!!

Why wouldnt someone attempt to protect an animal from mistreatment !!! and if the lady could not speak thai,then sign language " putting the dog in her arms" is the only form of communication.

Did the adjective "overweight " add anything to this story....There are fat Thais too !!!!

!!!!

was going to write this too steve9145, I wonder if the women being overweight offended the poster more than the thai womens cruelty to an animal? If so, then thats just very sad :o

the op should contact the tourism authority in samui & make a complaint, at least that way they can feel like they have done something & not just ignored it like others will do & find another, less poluted beach to walk on. I don't think culture or way of life has anything to do with it, there are stupid people everywhere & the ones pumping raw sewage onto the beaches are the most stupid of all.