Supporting Thai Child

Nothing has changed since last year. The last change in Extension rules was 2008.

Hi

im about to apply for my first familly visa on account i have a child 50/50 thai/eng, my partner is not my wife as im not divorced but i understand the visa i apply for pertains only to me and my son?

is there anything i need to know thats not published?? 40k yes, yellow book yes, over 50 yes, although i read conflicting info.. basically it says marriage visa u need 40k/400k and parent visa nothing?? mai kow jai!!

Edited by bigwavedave2

Believe you have been looking at old regulations - current law is police order 777/2551 and you do not have to be of any specific age but must show financial and for young child a court judgment of custody will likely be required.

Believe you are talking about obtaining an extension of stay from Immigration rather than a visa from a Consulate.

Nothing has changed since last year. The last change in Extension rules was 2008.

Hi

im about to apply for my first familly visa on account i have a child 50/50 thai/eng, my partner is not my wife as im not divorced but i understand the visa i apply for pertains only to me and my son?

is there anything i need to know thats not published?? 40k yes, yellow book yes, over 50 yes, although i read conflicting info.. basically it says marriage visa u need 40k/400k and parent visa nothing?? mai kow jai!!

Currently you will not be the legal father as you are not marreid to the mother. So your first step is to become the legal father of the child, for which you will need to go to court. It shouldn't be a that difficult if the mother agrees.

This Visa (supporting of a Thai child) usually applied for a non-married parent. Whereas if the parents are married, they (the foreign spouse) would be applying for a Marriage Visa.

Prior to the application submission, there are supporting documents that must be prepared:

* You (the applicant) would need to be recognize by the district office (i.e. the foreign spouse being recorded and verify that he/she is the father/mother of the child). This route can be simpler if the child is able to communicate and have sound knowledge of understanding.

If the child (still a toddler) does not or is unable to communicate, the foreign parent must be and go through the appointment by the Thai Family court. Once the court have announce its ruling, the applicant must take this court order to the district office to obtain the documents mentioned above.

Other documents required to apply for this type of visa are:

1. Certification Letter issued by the District Office (as described above)

2. Applicant’s passport

3. Child’s birth certificate and house registration

4. Confirmation of the Applicant’s monthly salary (demonstrating at least 40,000 Baht per month) (proven by PND 1 and PND 91) OR Bank’s confirmation of the applicant’s bank account showing the balance of at least 400,000 Baht in the applicant’s Thai bank account.

As noted, you cannot apply for a Change of Visa Status unless you have 21 or more days of your visa exemption or tourist visa remaining. If you are in the country only on the visa exemption (30-day stamp) you would be better off obtaining either a tourist visa or non-immigrant O visa outside the country so you will have adequate time to work through the legal process above.

Our expert Legal Advisors can provide you a more detailed information about visa requirements, work permit and company legal issues.

sunbelt.jpg

www.sunbeltlegaladvisors.com

26th Floor Fortune Town BR, 1 Ratchadapisek Rd, 10400 Bangkok

Tel: 02-642-0213 Fax: 02-641-1995

Follow us on:

facebook.png twitter.png

• 1 year later...

Rather than start a new thread I will ask on this one. My situation is this:

I am divorced

Have a child to my ex Thai wife, 10y/o

I have full custody of him.

I need to go out of the country to make a visa. I would still be applying for a non imm "O"?

What requirements do I need to meet?

Supporting documents? I have the divorce papers stating I have custody, I am the father on the birth certificate. Would I need the original birth certificate and the house book he is on? I have a yellow tambien baan.

Thanks in advance, I was on marriage visas for years but this is my first in this situation.

You can apply for a non_O based on your child, with birth certificate and maybe ID-card or household registration and letter confirming you have custody. Normally the birth certificate is enough, but local practises may vary.

For an extension of stay you need to take the child along, together with ID-card, birh certificate, household registration and docuemnt showing you have custody over the child. The child must be living with you. Same financial requirements apply as for marriage to a Thai.

Thanks Mario.

This letter confirming custody, where would I get that? Amphur where we divorced at? It is something worth having regardless by the sound of it.

I do have the official document from the Amphur stating I have custody, is that not enough?

What would happen if I were on a marriage extension visa for my wife and our 7 year old son if she were to die before me and he is still under the legal age?

Also what happens when the child is over the legal age. What kind of visa would be granted?

At the moment this is just theory as I am on a retirement visa but I am starting to get concerned about the exchange rates.

Your question was what kind of visa would be issued and that would be non immigrant O the same as marriage. You did not ask about a retirement extension of stay which this would not even effect at all. I also said you could extend supporting child if meeting the conditions but it would be likely most people would not immediately qualify so perhaps a 60 day extension of stay would be required prior to the one year. Now if you are asking if you can convert from Thai wife extension to having a child they likely would allow it, but it would not be a great issue to obtain a new entry O visa if required.