มติชนออนไลน์

bhoydy

I opened up the website today looking for an article to disect. The first article regarding The Centre for Resolution preparing information for Suthep looked rather long and scary. I went back to the home page and realised i didn't know the meaning for the name of the website. Matichon is not a word. So i though มติ and ชน seperately. I already knew that ชน means to hit something and i looked up มติ to find decision and opinion as possible meanings. I was thinking that maybe Decision Reached or something like that which is a strange name for a newspaper but wouldn't have surprised me. On further inspection i found that ชน also means people. This is also part of the word ประชาชน. So then i though a more appropriate translation would be People's Choice which sounds much better than Decision Reached lol. Any thoughts?

ชน as a verb is to hit/crash/bump/etc but as a noun it means people

มติ means an conclusion or an agreement

So matichon most likely means an agreement of the poeple (not sure)-you could take it to mean its the peoples agreed upon choice.

Royal Institute Dictionary (online):

มติมหาชน น. ความคิดเห็นหรือท่าทีของประชาชนกลุ่มใหญ่ที่เห็นพ้องต้องกันในเรื่องใดเรื่องหนึ่ง.

" . . . opinion or position of a large group of people who see eye to eye with each other with respect to a particular issue." (my translation)

"Public opinion" according to Domnern-Sathienpong.

Seems to me that "มติชน" is a proprietary ellipsis of มติมหาชน

What do you think?

Edited by DavidHouston

Royal Institute Dictionary (online):

มติมหาชน น. ความคิดเห็นหรือท่าทีของประชาชนกลุ่มใหญ่ที่เห็นพ้องต้องกันในเรื่องใดเรื่องหนึ่ง.

" . . . opinion or position of a large group of people who see eye to eye with each other with respect to a particular issue." (my translation)

"Public opinion" according to Domnern-Sathienpong.

Seems to me that "มติชน" is a proprietary ellipsis of มติมหาชน

What do you think?

Good find. I have the same dictionary but my laziness this morning made me miss the alternative(?) spelling. :)

Edited by bhoydy