Koh Yao

LivinLOS

Realized that I have explored islands all around the country far more then I have the 2 large ones right next to us.. So intend to sort that out.

I think I was told Yao Noi was more populated and the better one to visit ??

Can I get my M / bike (scooter) over on the 'ferry' ?? I mean the locals must have a way of getting them there ?? Just to give me my own wheels on the island.

Any resorts worth knowing off.. Dont mind spending a grand or two but dont want to be up in the 5 - 10k rarefied air of the paradise or six senses type stuff. Also not afraid to rough it if it has that kind of charm (dont like AC anyway) but not required to rough it for budget sake.

Just any suggestions welcome.

Going to Koh Yao's has been my plan as well. This information might not be fully accurate as I did not write the information down wen visiting the pier.

You can go there by ferry from Bang Rong Pier

http://map.panphuket.com/mappoint/bang-rong-pier

Ferry goes from Bang Rong to Koh Yao Noy then Koh Yao Yai and finally return to Bang Rong.

Ferries leave every hour from 7am to 4-5pm.

If I recall correctly the prices were 150/person/one way and 150/motorbike (scooter)/one way.

Koh Yao Noy is supposed to be more beautiful than Yao Yai. According to some people by the ferry, there are motorbikes to rent (350/day) and also cheap accomondations (600 bath).

While you go there, make sure You come to visit beatiful Ao Por area. I can offer you an beer if you come. We don't have a lot of foreigners in this area.

-Pekka

Thanks.. And a nice offer..

I ride the north east loop road quite often on the big bike.. Its a nice bit of Phuket and about the last but left that doesnt feel busy these days.

I've been to Koh Yao Yai twice. It's a great trip to go there, ferry leaves at Rasada pier in Phuket town takes 1h20 can take your motorbike. Price for one way is around 150 Baht including motorbike. The ferry leaves around 10am and there is a return ferry in the afternoon.

Some accommodation is available.

My guess is that the island is pretty much deserted now, as both times I went was during low season and haven't seen any farang there.

There's around 6000 very friendly people living there. Some great sandy beaches as well.

Go and enjoy!

i just spent seven months in lo paret on koh yao yai....i rented a house for thb 4000 a month but there's a nice guest house called heimat gardens there....nice a/c rooms are thb 1200 a night with breakfast....they have a good restaurant and it is a five minute walk to a a totally deserted beach....the owner will pick you up at loh jaak pier which is where the ferry from jian warnit pier in phuket arrives....she speaks english and german....

Thanks (and for the PMs)..

Was looking at Yao Noi based on recommendation by a mate.. Tho as soon as I start to plan this work starts to sound like I need to do a few things this week !! :) Might be juggling this a few days.

It's a nice quiet place this time of the year. The beaches aren't as nice as Western Phuket more tidal flats but excellent sunsets. Once you get on the island if you head straight after you leave the ferry and then take the road headed toward Six Senses past there on the left you'll see some bungalows set up from the road very quiet and peacefull. Not much to do just chill and no dogs a mostly Muslim island.

Psst, don't tell anyone about Phukets best kept secret. Yai is beautiful unspoiled and quiet, Noi slightly busier but still great, not one massage parlor in sight, people with honest smiles, great cheap food, easy to get around on a rented bike. Elexir Resort on Yai is world class but quiet in off season. :) Let's keep it that way please

Well it didn't 'till they turned it into a 6 carriage motorway

True, but I guess he is referring to the 'other' north-east loop road that hugs the coast, and is still only a couple of meters wide in places...

BTW, my understanding about Koh Yao is that the Muslim community have no problems about tourists drinking alcohol on their island, but outside of the resorts, no shops sell alcohol! (all according to friends who visited a few years ago). Best to bring a crate or two on the ferry :) - which also leaves from Bang Rong pier, as well as Rasada.

Simon