Laos - 2x25 Rai

Adjacent 25 Rai plots of ex paddys in South Lao.

I have lived in Thailand for the last 20 years and need a change. I want to have a self sustaining farm( the good life!) with an interesting hobby farm with a view of income. Just looking for ideas in addition of fish and the norm farming techniques. Any one interested in helping to establish a 'different' kind of legal project? Would appreciate ideas and other interaction/cooperation. Thanks

Your scope needs to be narrowed a great deal.

But general questions need general answers.

The limitation should be considered amount of sunlight.

If water and fertilizer is abundant,

then only sunlight holds you back.

Keep the soil busy at all times, year round.

Double crop short season and long season crops,

making dual purpose of everything.

Integrate fish & animals with the fields,

with only value added products leaving the farm.

Identify the highest price crops in the country,

and fill the market with it.

Right this moment in Thailand,

Corn and Mung Bean are both high.

I grow White Radish, Okra, Sweet Corn, Roselle, Peanut, Hogs, Catfish & Goats

When do you plant to start?

I support Watersedge's comments completely and would add that despite diversity, all farming is normal operations. Plain and simple hard work, a good life but not an easy one.

Around here everyone does the same things, the same way and at the same time. If you wish to add anything that is not currently being done, then plan on doing it yourself.

50 Rai is not a small holding IMHO. Plan your workforce requirement as well as your outputs. Primarily our land is mostly rice paddy and like W/E, I raise pigs and it is a lot of work regardless of the numbers of animals. There are many other things that I will add to our diversity but one thing at a time is a good yardstick. Get the primary operation established and running well before introducing a new potential headache.

As I said earlier, a good life. Good luck, plan wisely.

Isaanaussie

Edited by IsaanAussie

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for your positive replies. Not sure what 'gotlost' is all about!

I will keep you posted but it will be infrequent. Cant seem to find anyone who has done this out of thailand. It is the style of life I am more interested in and doing something I know little about. I consider myself fortunate in Thailand with the people I know and have never been ripped off. I have run 2 successful companies, a guesthouse and met decent people in my time. I am retiring at 46 and need that big change to wake my world up again. For gotlost, go get!!