Procedure In Singapore/penang

Hello all.

I'm British, on a non-immigrant 'B' to study for a TEFL, with the visa expiring in December this year. I plan to leave the Kingdom a few days before this date so I can get the extra 3 months. Before these 3 months are up I have been advised to go to Penang or maybe Singapore to get another 'B' if I have found work teaching or change it to a 'O' if I'm still looking (I am married to a Thai lady and am aware of the financial requirements).

My question is, what do I do when I get to Penang/Singapore? I mean basically from when I arrive at either one of these airports through to finding immigration and obtaining a visa. The whole lot really including transport from the airport and accomodation in Penang/Singapore.

Thanks.

1. Financial requirements are for extension of stay inside Thailand.

2. Penang is probably the better option unless you are sure about all requirements are going to be met.

3. Take taxi to hotel or guest house of your choice. Arrange for visa service from hotel or travel shop to provide visa form. Fill out form and photos and sign. Give with passport to visa agent with money. If done in morning next afternoon receive passport and visa and exit.

4. DIY: in morning get taxi and agree on return fare to Royal Thai Consulate. Go to Consulate/obtain application sheet/fill out and submit with passport/photos. Receive receipt number for pickup next afternoon. Next afternoon repeat taxi trip and have passport with visa.

If you need hotel/guest house recommendations provide a price range and I am sure someone will have current information.

Remember that Consulate will be closed weekends and holiday of both Thailand and Malaysia (or Singapore if you go there).

1.  Financial requirements are for extension of stay inside Thailand.

2.  Penang is probably the better option unless you are sure about all requirements are going to be met.

3.  Take taxi to hotel or guest house of your choice.  Arrange for visa service from hotel or travel shop to provide visa form.  Fill out form and photos and sign.  Give with passport to visa agent with money.  If done in morning next afternoon receive passport and visa and exit.

4.  DIY:  in morning get taxi and agree on return fare to Royal Thai Consulate.  Go to Consulate/obtain application sheet/fill out and submit with passport/photos.  Receive receipt number for pickup next afternoon.  Next afternoon repeat taxi trip and have passport with visa.

If you need hotel/guest house recommendations provide a price range and I am sure someone will have current information.

Remember that Consulate will be closed weekends and holiday of both Thailand and Malaysia (or Singapore if you go there).

Thanks very much Lopburi3.

I suppose anything up to £50/THB3600 would be my budget for accomodation if for one night only. Half that per night if I needed to stay longer.

Are the taxis metered in Penang/Singapore?

Metered but unused in Penang. Singapore used.

Continental Hotel on Penang Road is a good place at a little over 1,000 baht per night. But there is also a Grand Continental which is not so good.

I would plan two nights in Penang due to air schedules and likely late arrive of morning flight.

Metered but unused in Penang.  Singapore used. 

Continental Hotel on Penang Road is a good place at a little over 1,000 baht per night.  But there is also a Grand Continental which is not so good.

I would plan two nights in Penang due to air schedules and likely late arrive of morning flight.

Okey dokey.

Is the consulate far from the airport (Penang)? Nice to Know in advance in case I'm taken the 'scenic route' by the taxi driver.

Also, do I need the exact address of the consulate or is it well known by taxi driver's?

I appreciate the help mate. Cheers.

It is probably the most asked destination in Penang so do not believe any taxi driver would not know - taxi service is not used as must as Bangkok and most spend there time parked at hotels and taxi stands.

The airport is a fair distance South of the city of Georgetown and the Consulate is in a North suburban area. Probably a half hour drive. Believe the taxi operate on a fixed price from airport. Other places you have to bargain.