Clarification Please

Hi All,

I need a little clarification on my next step to retirement in Thailand. I am an American and have been in Thailand since 01/21/2010.

I have a Type O multi entry visa which will expire on 07/19 unless I do another border run. I want to apply for the one year extension based on retirement. I am 60 years old, and have 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account for more than 90 days.

My questions are:

1. When applying, will I need to bring anything other than my passport, visa, bankbook, and verification letter from the bank. (and of course, the fee) Previous information talks about photographs and a TM-7 form, but recent info seems to indicate these are no longer required, or will be provided at the office.

2. I am a resident of Phrae province. Am I correct that I should apply at the NAN Immigration Office?

3. I will be applying for a one year Thai driver's license shortly after in Den Chai. Should I get the required address letter of verification while at the Nan office, or should this be obtained from the local office in Phrae? I have a current US and International driver's license. What else will be required when applying for the Thai license?

BTW, I am married to a Thai citizen, but decided this would be the easier route for the visa extension since I have the 800,000 baht in a Thai bank and can leave it there.

Thanks in advance for your help!

June 20 or later visit Nan immigration office with the above plus TM.7 with photos taken within last six months (4x6cm) (you can download/print on one A4 or do at office). You will need probably two copies of everything. You should have proof of address (if wife house her blue book) and by law you must have been reported as staying at that location by home owner so could be small fine for her if no report was made (most Thai take a very casual view of such items). You should also make arrangements for making 90 day reports (address to mail/TM.47 forms).

Address verification letter will probably bring out the fine for homeowner not reporting your presence, if not mentioned before, but that may not even be an issue. Yes it would be a good time to take care of it. Can't answer DL requirements as mine was obtained some 40 years ago (they had lifetime option then).

At Nan apply on reasons for retirement. For extensions based on marriage to a Thai they will require you to pay for the cost of the visit to your home. You will not get a receipt for this.

Nan is one of the few offices that still requires a medical certificate from the doctor, just go to a local government hospital. Will cost something like 50 baht.

Nan might also indeed want to see the report by the homeowner. You can download the form from internet and have the homeowner report you at the local police office. Take a copy of the proof of reporting with you, just in case.

June 20 or later visit Nan immigration office with the above plus TM.7 with photos taken within last six months (4x6cm) (you can download/print on one A4 or do at office). You will need probably two copies of everything. You should have proof of address (if wife house her blue book) and by law you must have been reported as staying at that location by home owner so could be small fine for her if no report was made (most Thai take a very casual view of such items). You should also make arrangements for making 90 day reports (address to mail/TM.47 forms).

Address verification letter will probably bring out the fine for homeowner not reporting your presence, if not mentioned before, but that may not even be an issue. Yes it would be a good time to take care of it. Can't answer DL requirements as mine was obtained some 40 years ago (they had lifetime option then).

Thanks, Lop! As always, you are extremely helpful. When you say "blue book", I assume this is the same as the "house registration"? We will immediately report my staying at this address.

At Nan apply on reasons for retirement. For extensions based on marriage to a Thai they will require you to pay for the cost of the visit to your home. You will not get a receipt for this.

Nan is one of the few offices that still requires a medical certificate from the doctor, just go to a local government hospital. Will cost something like 50 baht.

Nan might also indeed want to see the report by the homeowner. You can download the form from internet and have the homeowner report you at the local police office. Take a copy of the proof of reporting with you, just in case.

Thanks to you too, Mario. I will get the medical report, and take care of the address reporting.

Don't know what I'd do without you guys!