Recommended Opticians In Pattaya

mls

Can anyone recommend a good quality optician in Pattaya - any area - that will provide a full eye test (including glaucoma test) and is able to provide quality transitional/varifocal and reactolite lenses and frames.

I have scar tissue on one retina from an old operation and really like to keep a check on it, so the test needs to be thorough.

Would be grateful for positive personal experiences (negative useful too - always good to know where not to go).

I still have my UK prescription card, but am well overdue for a test and have no plans to be returning to the UK.

Thanks in advance.

Euro Optic on 2nd road opposite Marriot/Royal Garden Plaza.

Owned by Filipino/French couple.

Fastidiously thorough in every way. I couldn't imagine getting better service anywhere else.

All speak English (Filipino-English).

They don't attack your wallet the moment you enter as most of the franchise operations do.

MLS--I'm by no means an expert on this topic, but it seems to me you

would be better served if you were to see an ophthalmologist rather

than an optician (whose expertise is the crafting of lenses, not thorough

eye exams). Just a thought.

IMHO, better to get an exam and prescription from a DOCTOR at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya and then have the prescript filled at PATTAYA OPTICAL on Pattaya Klang not far from Second Road and opposite Kasikorn Bank. Pattaya Optical has been around a long time, perfect English and almost exactly half the price of Euro Optical. If price doesn't matter, go to Euro; they are fine. Pattaya Optical can also do the same exams as Euro Optical.

IMHO, better to get an exam and prescription from a DOCTOR at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya and then have the prescript filled at PATTAYA OPTICAL on Pattaya Klang not far from Second Road and opposite Kasikorn Bank. Pattaya Optical has been around a long time, perfect English and almost exactly half the price of Euro Optical. If price doesn't matter, go to Euro; they are fine. Pattaya Optical can also do the same exams as Euro Optical.

+1. Had an eye exam at Bangkok Pattaya Hsp, great exam, high standard.

And I really like Pattaya Optical, went there for years though not recently. Good prices, nice people.

I've been considering finding a new optician for a while now. Have been going to Pattaya Optical for about 10 years and think their prices have gone up too much lately.

Last time it was 15+ K Baht for a pair of glasses with progressive lenses.

Was thinking about checking out Euro Optical as they've been getting good reviews on this forum before.

Was surprised to see that one poster says they are twice as expensive as Pattaya Optical.

If that's true then that takes them out of the equation.

As for the OP, if you don't mind a short trip out of town. Visit Phyathai Hospital in Sriracha for your eye test. Will save you quite a few Baht compared to BPH.

Then buy your glasses somewhere locally as they are not very competitive on their pricing for glasses.

I had to have a new lens made for my english bought glasses.Charoen said they could only sell me a new pair.

Beautiful Vision ,first shop in Patttaya Klang coming round from no 2 rd made a new lens in 2 days for 180 baht.That was 4 months ago .No problems.

I've been considering finding a new optician for a while now. Have been going to Pattaya Optical for about 10 years and think their prices have gone up too much lately.

Last time it was 15+ K Baht for a pair of glasses with progressive lenses.

Was thinking about checking out Euro Optical as they've been getting good reviews on this forum before.

Was surprised to see that one poster says they are twice as expensive as Pattaya Optical.

If that's true then that takes them out of the equation.

As for the OP, if you don't mind a short trip out of town. Visit Phyathai Hospital in Sriracha for your eye test. Will save you quite a few Baht compared to BPH.

Then buy your glasses somewhere locally as they are not very competitive on their pricing for glasses.

• Like 1

How much does an eye exam (to determine what prescription you need for glasses) cost at BPH, PIH, Sri Racha... wherever in the area?

You just want a very basic exam, the optical shops will do one free or for nominal cost if you're going to buy a pair of specs from the shop.

A hospital exam is much more thorough w/ fundus photography to check for retinal degenerative diseases, glaucoma test, etc--by an ophthalmologist. In that case you're looking at around B1000-2000.

How much does an eye exam (to determine what prescription you need for glasses) cost at BPH, PIH, Sri Racha... wherever in the area?

You just want a very basic exam, the optical shops will do one free or for nominal cost if you're going to buy a pair of specs from the shop.

A hospital exam is much more thorough w/ fundus photography to check for retinal degenerative diseases, glaucoma test, etc--by an ophthalmologist. In that case you're looking at around B1000-2000.

That seems reasonable... thanks! Where's the best place to go, and why?

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Sounds like Euro Optic might be the place to try first. My prescription in the UK cost around £400 3 years ago, so anything under 20,000 Baht will be cheaper even at the present sterling exchange rate.

However, am due at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital for a check up on something else in a fortnight, so might ask my doctor there what he thinks. Though am pretty sure he will want me to test there - extra income for the hospital!

Will let you all know how I get on, for future reference.

Thank again

mls

• 3 months later...

Euro Optic is the place to go if you need progressive lenses. They fully understand these types of lenses and can offer you many options.

I used to think that as I used them for my first pair of progressives. It turned out later they made a big mistake on their test which was later corrected by an actual optometrist. I suggest going to a REAL doctor, sorry.

Edited by Jingthing

Euro Optic is the place to go if you need progressive lenses. They fully understand these types of lenses and can offer you many options.

I used to think that as I used them for my first pair of progressives. It turned out later they made a big mistake on their test which was later corrected by an actual optometrist. I suggest going to a REAL doctor, sorry.

Did you return to Euro Optic and file an official complaint, backing up your claims by the REAL Doctor?

If you don't complain, how will they be given the chance to respond to your dissatisfaction?

Did you return to Euro Optic and file an official complaint, backing up your claims by the REAL Doctor?

If you don't complain, how will they be given the chance to respond to your dissatisfaction?

No, I don't plan to do that. I just won't shop there anymore. Mistakes can happen anywhere and also doctors make mistakes. I am sure they have many satisfied customers.

Next ...

Edited by Jingthing

I went to Charoen (I think thats the name although someone can maybe correct me) its on the left side about 200mtrs before turning on to the beach road in Jomtiem, went there for an eye test,,he checked my 5 year old glasses (regular contact lense wearer so don't buy glasses anymore) into a machine of some sort, put the glasses into the machine (to check strength I assume) and inserted only 1 set of slides into the frame over my eyes and hey presto that was it, test finished, in and out in less than 5 minutes that included time he took to try and sell me contact Lenses,,,told him I was not interested since I can buy for half the price online than I can get here in LOS.... test result was 25 stronger in one eye and .50 stronger in other than when tested 7 months earlier in UK,,,,,,, thorough test?? I think not

I researched this on TV and visited Pattaya Bangkok Hospital for my (very thorough) eye test (900b), then used Euro Optic for the purchase of progressive glasses. I recieved a fantastic service and I am very grateful to you guys here for helping me!

Thank You :jap:

In may case, Euro Optic REFUSED to use the scrip I arrived with from an actual eye doctor. They insisted it was their policy to test themselves and make lenses based on THEIR results only. Perhaps their policy has changed.

That is quite common with many opticians and is the professional approach.