Rocket Festival

klons

On the radio I caught the tail end of what I think was a promotion for a Rocket Festival. 3 types of rockets or rocket contests were mentioned and I can't figure out what they are. Any rocket scientists in the house that can help would be appreciated. TIA

It went something like this.

lae bang fai kaeng - and rocket competion

peua something kawng chao ban - for the locals

bang bpen bang fai hawy - oyster rocket ?

bang fai moon - spinning rocket?

lae bang fai saaen - extreme rocket?

dtam kanat jaak lek bpai yai - sizes small to big.

I'm no rocket scientist, but according to Wikipedia,

Bang Fai come in various sizes, competing in several categories. Small ones are called Bang Fai Noi (Thai: น้อย). Larger categories are designated by the counting words for 10,000, 100,000 and 1,000,000: Meun (Thai: หมื่น) "Saen" (Thai: แสน) and the largest Bang Fai, the Lan (Thai: ล้าน). These counting words see use in many contexts to indicate increasing size or value. Lan in this context may be taken to mean extremely large as well as extremely expensive and extremely dangerous: Bang Fai Lan are nine metres long and charged with 120 kg of black powder. (from

I'm pretty certain that what you thought was บั้งไฟหมุน (spinning rocket, but I don't think such a thing exists, as it would be quite dangerous) was actually บั้งไฟหมื่น. It's also possible that what you heard as บั้งไฟหอย was actually บั้งไฟน้อย (Little rocket). The rest of what you heard (rocket competition, entertainment for the locals, from small to large) seems pretty accurate.

Got this from googleling. Not sure what each for the types are.

บั้งไฟมีหลายขนาดและหลายชนิด

ขนาดวัดเป็นกิโล เริ่มจากบั้งไฟกิโล บั้งไฟหมื่น บั้งไฟแสน บั้งไฟล้าน หมายถึงน้ำหนักของดินประสิวที่บรรจุในกระบอก 12 กิโลกรัม = 1 หมื่น 10 หมื่น = 1 แสน 10 แสน = 1 ล้าน

ชนิดของบั้งไฟ เช่น บั้งไฟหาง บั้งไฟตะไล บั้งไฟดอก บั้งไฟอีตื้อ บั้งไฟจินาย บั้งไฟจรวด บั้งไฟม้า บั้งไฟอีหมก บั้งไฟพลุ บั้งไฟช้าง เป็นต้น