Import Duties On Expensive Video Camera

msg362

I'm sure it's been asked before, but after spending several hours on this site and on the 'official' customs website, I'm no wiser. ((Yes I know senility!!)

I can buy a JVC video camera for £1850 in the UK ( no VAT) ( about 85,000 Bt) or from NZ for 90,500 Bt. Here ( CM) they are asking 128,000Bt

1 Does anyone know what the customs might charge on a good day?

2 If I bought the camera in an ASEAN country - Singapore (??HK??) for example and brought it back unpacked and in use, am I liable for duty? ( I live here, non O retirement extension)

Thanks for your help

As far as i know you are allowed to bring ONE camera into Thailand without paying any duty. So if it is your only camera, you should not have any problems.

I'm not sure if this is official policy, maybe just because it would be totally ridiculous to charge every tourist duty on their cameras.

Officially, if you exit Thailand with a video camera and/or laptop computer and intend to bring these items back into Thailand, you should register them with customs to avoid paying duty when you return.

Again, it would be mayhem, if everyone registered these items when leaving Thailand, intending to return.

You are actually only allowed personal effects up to a total value of 10,000 Baht, so you really can't bring in much :)

You may find more info at the following link

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Trave...enuNme=Travel#9

I've finally cracked it and got a definitive answer ( is there such a thing in LOS?)

I went to Customs at the aiport in CM, first to the big office before the turn in, they directed me to the Cargo building, just past the right turn into the airport.

At the right hand end is the customs building, two officers sitting.

I showed them a print out of a video camera from singapore priced at about 108,000 Baht, free delivery.

The answer, in just one minute was:

pressed the wrong button, mods please delete, the full answer is below

Edited by msg362

I've finally cracked it and got a definitive answer ( is there such a thing in LOS?) :D :D

I went to Customs at the airport in CM, first to the big office before the turn in, they directed me to the Cargo building, just past the right turn into the airport.

At the right hand end is the customs building, two officers sitting.

I showed them a print out of a video camera from Singapore priced at about 107 ,000 Baht, free delivery.

The answer, in just one minute was: 5% duty, a minimum 1% CIF ( carriage, insurance and something) even if 'free' delivery. Add those then add 7% VAT

So 107K x 5% = 112.35 K

Add 1% 'carriage 1.07 K

total =113.42 K

Add VAT at 7% 7.940

Grand total 121,359 Baht :)

I don't know if the duty is the same coming from the US/ Europe/NZ

Why can't they just list the rates of duty somewhere?

Planning to to - the Silk AiIr fare from CM to SIN is less than 10,000 and I've been offered a very good price there. So a few days holiday and money in my pocket!

Edited by msg362

I just returned from a huge shopping trip in the US. Went with 6 empty suitcases and came back with all full. Quite a bit of stereo equipment you can't get here (in wall volume control, very cheap HDMI cables, new iPod, camera stuff, etc.). I took everything out of the boxes and unwrapped them. Even brought back some nice kitchen utensils for wifey.

The big 4 speaker selector box got a raised eyebrow during the scan, but just said it was an amp and I didn't even have to open the bag. Also had way over my limit of booze (had to bring back as much wine as possible).

This is the second time I have done this and have not had a problem yet....fingers crossed!

• 2 weeks later...

OK folks, finally cracked it

I ordered a Panny video camera from Singapore ( and the US will be the same)

Cost:£2257 (GBP) at today's appalling rate that is about x47:about 104600 Baht

Costs:

a 'customs clearance charge' 1284 Baht

Terminal charges 192.6 B

Warehousing charge 66.34 B per day

The Carrier ( UPS) has cleared it after I sent a copy of my passport and a photo of the video camera!!!

Total charges delivered to Chiang Mai will be 12,545.60 Baht or about 12%

This is 5% duty and 7% VAT.

I know the numbers don't add up! The point is, I seem not to have got ripped off

Should arrive on June 18th!

It works! it's the same rate as quoted by customs in Chiang Mai, give or take a few thousand baht!

post-55921-079252400 1276692173_thumb.jp