Farangs, Hated Or Not?

maxpowers87

If you are a Buddhist practitioner since 20 years and you write such a hate post, I would think deeply about your practise -

- definitely

Are you criticising the poster for telling his experience and if so why?

Where is the hate in his post? I certainly can not see any hate in his post, merely his personal experience!

I would like to explain that to you, but how can someone explain colours to a blind man?

Such a thoughtful and well researched reply to me. Thank you so much. . Now you have two posts that are just plain silly!

Any chance of more? Or have you dug the hole deep enough already?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry James, but I do believe he made it up. A 16 yr old monk yelling curse words at an elderly farang? That's so beyond the realms of reason that it's just not believable. It's almost like a guy claiming to walk into a bar and being offered 5,000 baht by a bargirl to take her out. Some things we just can't accept!

I tend to think it is a fabrication also. It is not totally impossible for a young Thai teenager to say such a thing, but from what I have seen in 20 years, it is highly unlikely. Claiming that the boy was a monk, makes it doubly dubious. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

I believe the story as people have yelled 'FALANG, <deleted> YOU!' many times where I live...they do not realize that it is an insult as they always have big smiles (naturally) when they do...my wife has been with me on a couple of occasions and has yelled back that their 'greeting' isn't funny which is usually met with confused looks from the local bumpkins...

and a kid wearing the robes is not a monk...just some ignorant punk making merit at a wat for a couple of weeks...

If you are a Buddhist practitioner since 20 years and you write such a hate post, I would think deeply about your practise -

- definitely

Where is the hate in his post? I certainly can not see any hate in his post, merely his personal experience!

I would like to explain that to you, but how can someone explain colours to a blind man?

Such a thoughtful and well researched reply to me. Thank you so much. . Now you have two posts that are just plain silly!

Any chance of more? Or have you dug the hole deep enough already?

Maybe you cannot see that there is negative aggression and hate in his post, but it is. Especially considering Buddhist teachings, which he says, he is practising.

In particular to develope yourself, in a Buddhist understanding, any negative aggression - and that term covers a wide field > hate, greed, envy... - in words, thoughts and action towards all living beings has to be eliminated.

I have lived in the Chiang Mai area for five years. About a year ago in Lamphun I was standing at the curb, waiting for my wife to park the car. A over sixty y.o., clean, sober, silent farang, dressed no differently from the vast majority of people here. I heard someone shout "Farang! <deleted> you!" I raised my eyes to the second story of the

overlooking building to discover that the shouter was a sixteen y.o., orange-robed member of Thailand's "venerable sangha." The building was a school run by one of the largest, most important ancient temples here.

This experience, to my mind, sums up everything one might need to know about Thai child-rearing, Thai education,

Thai "Buddhism," and the general attitude of Thais toward farangs. There are no adults in charge anywhere at any time.

I have been a Buddhist practitioner for twenty years, have lived and traveled in several majority Buddhist countries, and am certain that this could only have happened in Thailand.

"Thai people very polite! Land of Smile!"--Yeah, RiGHT!

A 16 year old kid insulting you "could only have happen in Thailand" . lol , have you not encountered any teenagers outside of thailand??!!

True, I might tend to believe this story if it were western teenagers. But frankly, Kapasao, I don't believe your story for a second. As a general rule, young Thai's have more respect for elders than young westerners. So Kapasao, why would you make up such nonsense?

I'm not buying it either ---- but supposing the Nen (novice) actually did say this it still doesn't excuse Kapasao's remarks (judgmental 'tude and colonialist superiority complex) when speaking of Buddhism in Thailand or measuring all Thais by his limited experience. The right thing to do in the (unlikely) case that such an event occurred? Go speak to the abbot at the temple. (right action, right speech etc) The wrong thing to do? Generalize all Thai's, Thai "Buddhism" (I kept his quotation marks) and Thai parents .....

Oh well.... many of us attempt to walk a path and many of us end at different destinations :)

8>< SNIP NESTED QUOTES DELETED ><8

Oh well.... many of us attempt to walk a path and many of us end at different destinations :)

Why walk when you can skip? And sing? Or take your shoes off, and hum...

SC

Sorry James, but I do believe he made it up. A 16 yr old monk yelling curse words at an elderly farang? That's so beyond the realms of reason that it's just not believable. It's almost like a guy claiming to walk into a bar and being offered 5,000 baht by a bargirl to take her out. Some things we just can't accept!

I tend to think it is a fabrication also. It is not totally impossible for a young Thai teenager to say such a thing, but from what I have seen in 20 years, it is highly unlikely. Claiming that the boy was a monk, makes it doubly dubious. :D

:whistling:I know that I tend to be pedantic at times :)

A 16 y/o isn't a monk -- he's a novitiate. He may be in orange for various reasons and many of them have nothing to do with Buddhism itself and has more to do with a lack of any working social welfare system in Thailand other than temples.

Get up, eat breakfast, drop the daughter off at school, go to work, eat lunch, knock off, have a few beers, go home, do things with the fam on the weekend. I don't have time to worry whether 67 million Thais hate me. Though I suspect they do not.

I would sure hope that all of SEA would remember who came to their rescue during WW II from the hated Japanese at the time.

The thais colaborated with the japanese,they didn't need to be rescued.

I believe the story as people have yelled 'FALANG, &lt;deleted&gt; YOU!' many times where I live...they do not realize that it is an insult as they always have big smiles (naturally) when they do...my wife has been with me on a couple of occasions and has yelled back that their 'greeting' isn't funny which is usually met with confused looks from the local bumpkins...

and a kid wearing the robes is not a monk...just some ignorant punk making merit at a wat for a couple of weeks...

Are you serious?Try to use the 4 letter word in a sentence like many english people do,not in an offending way.Something like it is ****ing hot today,and watch the eyes of the thais as soon as the word is mentioned.

'Birdman' date='2010-06-09 21:18' timestamp='1276093096' post='367646'tlcwaterfall' date='2010-06-09 14:33' timestamp='1276068788' post='36756'Birdman' date='2010-06-08 12:06' timestamp='1275973560' post='36732'tlcwaterfall' date='2010-06-08 09:19' timestamp='1275963557' post='367289'Birdman' date='2010-06-07 19:41' timestamp='1275914483' post='3672078']

- definitely

Any chance of more? Or have you dug the hole deep enough already

Maybe you cannot see that there is negative aggression and hate in his post, but it is. Especially considering Buddhist teachings, which he says, he is practising.

In particular to develope yourself, in a Buddhist understanding, any negative aggression - and that term covers a wide field > hate, greed, envy... - in words, thoughts and action towards all living beings has to be eliminated.

So , all of that being said , considering all of the happenings in the last few months , pray tell me where Buddhism fits into the Thai way of life and thinking , other than burning a few josh sticks etc .

• 4 weeks later...
Generalizations arent really possible

What do you mean they 'aren't really possible'? Generalisations are essential.

As for the OP, yes, Thais generally dislike farang. If the west-to-east powershift continues to gather pace, expect fewer and fewer farang in thailand over the coming decades. We are generally liked when we are spending money, generally despised when we're not.

generalisations are why we have racism we think every one is the same and they are all to be blamed, a more inteligent view is needed understanding the general population and knowing that every on is diferent

I believe the story as people have yelled 'FALANG, &lt;deleted&gt; YOU!' many times where I live...they do not realize that it is an insult as they always have big smiles (naturally) when they do...my wife has been with me on a couple of occasions and has yelled back that their 'greeting' isn't funny which is usually met with confused looks from the local bumpkins...

Yeah, the &lt;removed&gt; you is funny..

only last week at my badminton class...run by a mid to hi-so Thai ajarn from Mahidol and the students come mostly from Chula and Thammasart...so you understand these are mid to hi-so people..

The youngest boy in the class about 7 years old...said "&lt;removed&gt; you" to another girl in the class....

Everybody laughed and i scolded him in English and the girl told him in Thai...

They know its a bad word...but its not from their language so it has no meaning behind it...

much like when you swear in Thai... you have no deep feeling behind the meaning/word...

Mmmm. Rude obnoxious ones generally disliked while others generally liked to no feeling about them. There are also some nationalists who dont like foreigners but you get that everywhwere. In reality not much different from any other place

Generalizations arent really possible although no doubt this thread will now fill up with them

I think that's fair. I also think that Thai's, particularly Issan Lao people (the vulnerable females) have been exposed to some of the most degenerate falang on the planet which would have the effect of causing feelings of suspicion to outright hatred of people with white skin.

On the flip side it's quite an insular culture, patriotic some may say nationalistic and until recently these folks didn't get out (of Thailand) much, so there is some ignorance towards the rest of the world.

The few I know who have lived and worked abroad successfully (I know two that have traveled to more countries than all of you on this forum put together), having come from poor villages . . . they are my role models, worldly wise and the kindest people you could wish to meet.

I still hate having 'falang' shouted at me though, but I understand it's not necessarily in hatred, most times just stating the obvious. I don't particularly like it here, but it is what it is for now.

You have to rise above it and get on with it, or just go home.

That too.

Just happened to my sister-in-law, 500k stolen by 'family' members. She pulled herself out of poverty and is now a successful realtor and spends part of the year living in the Welsh borders. Very 'old English' now, loves the culture of that part of the UK, understands the frailties of this place and is hopefully going to be in Blighty full time from this year.

A very nice, hardworking and very, very intelligent person. We have some interesting conversations about the realities of this culture, some of it quite depressing.

Mmmm. Rude obnoxious ones generally disliked while others generally liked to no feeling about them. There are also some nationalists who dont like foreigners but you get that everywhwere. In reality not much different from any other place

Generalizations arent really possible although no doubt this thread will now fill up with them

I think that's fair. I also think that Thai's, particularly Issan Lao people (the vulnerable females) have been exposed to some of the most degenerate falang on the planet which would have the effect of causing feelings of suspicion to outright hatred of people with white skin.

On the flip side it's quite an insular culture, patriotic some may say nationalistic and until recently these folks didn't get out (of Thailand) much, so there is some ignorance towards the rest of the world.

The few I know who have lived and worked abroad successfully (I know two that have traveled to more countries than all of you on this forum put together), having come from poor villages . . . they are my role models, worldly wise and the kindest people you could wish to meet.

I still hate having 'falang' shouted at me though, but I understand it's not necessarily in hatred, most times just stating the obvious. I don't particularly like it here, but it is what it is for now.

Don't want to start another discussion following you sweeping statement regarding the "two you know" but I would love to offer you a beer if you could prove your wild claims:

myself - England / Wales / Scotland / France / Germany / Belgium / Holland / Luxembourg / Switzerland / Spain / Cyprus / Finland / Australia / India / Sri Lanka / UAE / Oman / Qatar / Bahrain / Malaysia / Singapore...... Oh and Thailand

I am bored already but I am sure with a few others on here your aspersions would be shot to &lt;deleted&gt;

I tend to think it is a fabrication also. It is not totally impossible for a young Thai teenager to say such a thing, but from what I have seen in 20 years, it is highly unlikely. Claiming that the boy was a monk, makes it doubly dubious. :)

It may very well be a fabrication, but I was at a small temple in Bangkok a few months ago and a 12 year old (approximate age) with his mother and father said, "Hello, fuc_k you very much."

Don't want to start another discussion following you sweeping statement regarding the "two you know" but I would love to offer you a beer if you could prove your wild claims:

myself - England / Wales / Scotland / France / Germany / Belgium / Holland / Luxembourg / Switzerland / Spain / Cyprus / Finland / Australia / India / Sri Lanka / UAE / Oman / Qatar / Bahrain / Malaysia / Singapore...... Oh and Thailand

I am bored already but I am sure with a few others on here your aspersions would be shot to &lt;deleted&gt;

Nope. They were concierge on the big cruise liners for 15 years. 

Why take such offense? Some very insecure people out there I guess. 

It may very well be a fabrication, but I was at a small temple in Bangkok a few months ago and a 12 year old (approximate age) with his mother and father said, "Hello, fuc_k you very much."

perhaps the 12 year old had been listening to Lily Allen :)

Who cares? I don't. I treat everyone fairly and with respect. If that is not good enough then they are not even worth my contempt. So far I can't say I've ever had a problem in Thailand. Am I treated like a sucker some times? Sure, but that's their problem, not mine. I don't hang around where I'm not wanted. This is the same old topic that goes round and round on a regular basis.

Unfortunately it all begins at Home and in the school , Children are taught from a young age to call us Falang /farang. Its like people who swear all the time they just don't know they are doing it.It has lost the real meaning , now it can even be thought of as endearing to be called falang/farang. Words do not hurt me up to them as the Thais say.

Unfortunately the word "fuc_king" is use more and more in every conversation, and sometimes every three words, by many English people here.

No wonder that many youth Thai, living with or in the neighborhood of these people, are using the word also, thinking it's part of a normal conversation.

Unfortunately the word "fuc_king" is use more and more in every conversation, and sometimes every three words, by many English people here.

No wonder that many youth Thai, living with or in the neighborhood of these people, are using the word also, thinking it's part of a normal conversation.

It's amazing how they pick it up, I was playing a kung &lt;deleted&gt; beat em up playstation game at a shopping mall with my six year old son in Thailand and he started saying "&lt;removed&gt; you, &lt;removed&gt; you" I told him to stop saying that and where did he learn that word, he said he was saying the same as the man in the game, and lo and behold yes that's what the character in the game was saying I hadn't even noticed.