Bigc Hang Dong Road

Tywais

Because the new BigC is near me I shop there often. They have a flat escalator so shopping carts can lock when you go down. Half the time I just can't get it to lock. Yesterday my cart was full and pretty heavy and as usual, dreaded trying to get it on the tracks correctly. It just wouldn't lock and had to plant my feet, hold on the cart with one hand and the rail with the other to keep it running away and plowing into the people in front.

I wonder how many carts have run away from the shopper. Any tricks, or am I the only one having this problem? I know, trivial problem in the grand scheme of things but my stress level goes up whenever I'm faced with that escalator. :)

Some people have abnormal electrical energy emitting from their bodies. This energy often disrupts nearby electrical equipment and appliances and the person who has such a problem normally has no control over his or her energy discharges. If you are such a person then your energy is transferred to the metal shopping cart, which in turn then neutralizes the current in the escalator thus causing the automatic locking device to not engage. The simple remedy to this problem is to let go of the cart. It may roll a little bit but once it has reached the appropriate distance from you, it should free of your electrical influence, lock up and all will be well. If this fails to work, act like you don’t know whose cart it was and run.

I didn't know BarnicaleBob has met me.... :)

Never fear, Tywais, I have the same problem, albeit at the airport. that stupid escalator thingy on the way down to the taxi stand never holds my cart. If I am with someone i get them to go stand in front of it. If I am alone, then I just hang on for dear life. (altho BarnicaleBob's suggestion does have merit!)

I've had the same issue several times. Seems to be that some trollies have defective wheels and can't lock up properly, whereas some are ok. My strategy is to assume the worst every time, grip the trolley and lean back to brace myself against the downward pull.

Heh, for me it's the other way around... I try to NOT make it lock so I can go down faster. (Put cart slightly diagonally, and tilt to the right or left. Think drifting a car. :) )

Solution 1:

Grab a cart downstairs instead of from the main store upstairs, then check if it locks going up. :D

Solution 2:

Take the elevator. Not sure about Big C Hang Dong, but Lotus Hang Dong, Makro Hang Dong, Big C Don Chan, and Carrefour San Dek have them for sure.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Some people have abnormal electrical energy emitting from their bodies. This energy often disrupts nearby electrical equipment and appliances and the person who has such a problem normally has no control over his or her energy discharges. If you are such a person then your energy is transferred to the metal shopping cart, which in turn then neutralizes the current in the escalator thus causing the automatic locking device to not engage. The simple remedy to this problem is to let go of the cart. It may roll a little bit but once it has reached the appropriate distance from you, it should free of your electrical influence, lock up and all will be well. If this fails to work, act like you don't know whose cart it was and run.

:):D I presume this is in jest and not to be taken seriously. The simple remedy is to inspect your trolley prior to choosing one. This might seem rather odd to fellow shoppers, you bending down inspecting the trolly wheels, but can save your stress levels.

The trolleys have split wheels, with the hub between the two halves moulded to a square section. It is the square section that stops the trolley rolling away from you. These get worn in time, and no longer retain the square section and become "rounded" and tend to run away.

Just a glance at the wheel will tell you if the hub has become rounded, and hence prone to rolling. :D

Just a glance at the wheel will tell you if the hub has become rounded, and hence prone to rolling. :D

I'll add that to my list when I grab a cart and check for wobbly wheel, sticky wheels and "keeps going left" syndromes. :)

I'll add that to my list when I grab a cart and check for wobbly wheel, sticky wheels and "keeps going left" syndromes. :)

both those actions will get the locals pointing :D

Heh, for me it's the other way around... I try to NOT make it lock so I can go down faster. (Put cart slightly diagonally, and tilt to the right or left. Think drifting a car. :) )

theres always one :D

you make the car reving noises too? :D

theres always one :D

you make the car reving noises too? :D

Screeching tyres, baby! :D

~

I don't understand it at all since most things over here are meticulously maintained.. :)

WIVES are for carrying the heavy stuff, guys! But if alone, I let anyone with a heavy cart go ahead of me then position myself behind someone I don't like the looks of anyway.

I think I was behind Tywais once because he went rocketing off, body flapping along behind the cart like some rhythmic gymnastics ribbon.

I suspect the wheels will be maintained/repaired only when they have to work on them to remove the pieces of some hapless child anyway... :D

There is a lift - very cunningly hidden with no signs to give it away!

Down a corridor, behind all the trollys on the left hand side of the store when coming through the tills.

We use it going up for our little un in her push chair. But be warned!

Access is often blocked by trollys!

david

Solution 3:

Take the trolley to the Transport Department next door to Big C and have them do wheel measurements to ensure proper operation. Get certificate, then proceed back to Big C.

Solution 4:

Prevent anyone else from going down yelling "STAND BACK - DANGER!", then when the entire walkway has cleared, put the trolley on it and let go. Take cell phone vid, upload to Youtube, post link on Thaivisa.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Guess one solution is to make 10 trips getting only enough that you can carry each time. Except that 20kG bag of dog food I picked up yesterday in which case a hernia girdle may be required. :)

:):D

And I thought it was only me that had trolley trouble!

I'm always getting electric shocks off trolleys, so quite good if I make it to the escalator.

I have had the lock problem a number of times, so usually position myself behind someone with a substantial derriere, that can take the impact.

Watch your back though, as mostly the Thais are hands free with implicit trust of the trolley technology!

Tywais....

you're not alone with the big C trolly/cart observation. It occasionally happens at other superstore escalators, but seems to happen every time at bigC hang dong. Both the escalator and the trollys/carts should be new, as the store is barely a year old.

My 10 yr old daughter almost mowed down some shoppers once there until I saved the innocent shoppers with my superior weight. It pays to have a few extra kilos/lbs.......

Had an embarrassing moment at Carrefour with a trolley loaded with glass blocks and other heavy items. Decided to lead the trolley down to stop them falling forward and the bugger wouldn't lock, ploughing the trolley and me into the folks in front. It eventually came to a halt after I wedged it sideways styly. :)

Let it roll slightly and it will lock up.

:D

All wheels will sometimes sit across the top and not lock home. Best way is to go at it straight and try and tug it backwards while slewing to left or right.

Had an embarrassing moment at Carrefour with a trolley loaded with glass blocks and other heavy items. Decided to lead the trolley down to stop them falling forward and the bugger wouldn't lock, ploughing the trolley and me into the folks in front. It eventually came to a halt after I wedged it sideways styly. :)
Let it roll slightly and it will lock up.

:D

All wheels will sometimes sit across the top and not lock home. Best way is to go at it straight and try and tug it backwards while slewing to left or right.

Yes, that is exactly what I do, sometimes with success and sometimes not... Once the trolley is on take and tug it backwards a few times and most times it catches and locks in place.... but as always use precautions and wrap a safety tow around it to your waist.

Some people have abnormal electrical energy emitting from their bodies. This energy often disrupts nearby electrical equipment and appliances and the person who has such a problem normally has no control over his or her energy discharges. If you are such a person then your energy is transferred to the metal shopping cart, which in turn then neutralizes the current in the escalator thus causing the automatic locking device to not engage. The simple remedy to this problem is to let go of the cart. It may roll a little bit but once it has reached the appropriate distance from you, it should free of your electrical influence, lock up and all will be well. If this fails to work, act like you don’t know whose cart it was and run.

I counter all that abnormal energy but wearing a lead suit....and if that doesn't work it's usually massive amounts of Jack Daniels.... cause if one is inebriated enough who cares about any stupid energy.

I counter all that abnormal energy but wearing a lead suit....and if that doesn't work it's usually massive amounts of Jack Daniels.... cause if one is inebriated enough who cares about any stupid energy.

with enough Jack Daniels in you, would cause you to slumber to ground dissapating energy to earth