Music For My New Bar

Eventide

Hi

I wonder if any of the members can enlighten me.

I am looking into opening a new bar - I have a large collection of CDs, however I am told that I can only play certain music - ie music from certain record labels - if not I will need 2-3 different licences to be able to play what I want.

How do I go about getting the correct information about this.

Is it just bars that are subject to this laws - I was watching local TV and there was a guy talking and showing old clips of bands from long ago - do they have to pay licence for airing these clips - sorry just trying to get my head around it all. I know in the UK you cannot use music that belongs to someone else to promote your business or even use it for TV without permission - but how does that work here in Thailand ?

So what I I used TV clips in my bar - would that be the same as playing the CD

Thanks

Eventide

Since when does any bar in Thailand follow any rules?

A friend of mine owns a club and plays all the music off a 160 gb IPOD connected to the sound sytem

Hi Yeah

I understand what you are saying - however the bar I am buying was a bar before - and it had the licenses so it seems I have to go with it - I also have a Hard disk- I could play the music through that - but will the boys in brown be impressed.

Eventide

As far as I am aware the playing of music must be supported by the display of a music licence. For example one for "foreign" music and one for "Thai".

However I am sure those on the forum who do own bars will be able to be more specific than I.

The playing of music not supported by the appropriate licence may lead to a fine approx 50,000 baht + 1 night in the cell for the owner/cashier, and the equipment used confiscated by the "music" police.

begs

It wont be the boys in brown that come calling.

They will be in Black,and will pour out of a van at the most inconveinient time for you :)

If the bar had the licenses before just go to the main office with them and tell them you want to re-apply,i am afraid it will not stop the boys in BLACK from finding something else tho!

^And a licence for having a licence or a licence for not having a licence that you never knew you needed a licence for in the first place,this is just because they can make up that you need a licence for this that and the other in no time and in the end you can have a whole wall of framed licences that make your bar look like an officials art gallery :D

Edited by NADTATIDA1

They will be in Black,and will pour out of a van at the most inconveinient time for you :)

If the bar had the licenses before just go to the main office with them and tell them you want to re-apply,i am afraid it will not stop the boys in BLACK from finding something else tho!

^And a licence for having a licence or a licence for not having a licence that you never knew you needed a licence for in the first place,this is just because they can make up that you need a licence for this that and the other in no time and in the end you can have a whole wall of framed licences that make your bar look like an officials art gallery :D

Mmm well thanks for that, I checked on that show on TV it was Pattaya People, with a guy called Barry Upton - so do they have the same problems - or is t just a payoff

Eventide

Mmm well thanks for that, I checked on that show on TV it was Pattaya People, with a guy called Barry Upton - so do they have the same problems - or is t just a payoff

Eventide

Completely different from your situation, the website I gave you above is the one you want.

:D

Eventide

Completely different from your situation, the website I gave you above is the one you want.

Thanks DaveinThailand - this helps - its seems the TV companies do the whatever they want and nobody asks questions and the bar owners get stuffed. good info tho - hope it works

Eventide

Thanks DaveinThailand - this helps - its seems the TV companies do the whatever they want and nobody asks questions and the bar owners get stuffed. good info tho - hope it works

Not really mate, they are legal also, I'm a bar owner as well btw.

Edited by davethailand

Dave thanks for the info - as for the local TV - next you will be telling me these guys have work permits : ) I just dont understand why some businesses get away with it and bars are constantly scrutinized by the authorities.

Dave thanks for the info - as for the local TV - next you will be telling me these guys have work permits : ) I just dont understand why some businesses get away with it and bars are constantly scrutinized by the authorities.

They wil have certainly be cleared by the authorities to do it, maybe there is a different rule for the guys that do TV interviews etd, I know that Barry and a few of the others don't actually work for the channels that they are on.

:)