The Pill Or Injection Common In Thailand For Bitches Instead Of Getting Spayed

I was planning on taking a 6 month old small bitch to get spayed today. I am getting huge opposition from the extended family, I think they think 1000 ish baht is a waste of money and why not let this little ‘Toy’ dog get humped by every male dog 4 times bigger than her that roam around here. Out of the litter of 8, she was the only survivor, Anyway, anyone know about these apparent pills or 30baht injection to stop here coming on heat and breeding that they say are much better?

I have never heard of them, I was expecting a Gen anesthetic and spayed operation.

I have been to two local vets, non speak English. So here I am trying here?

Google has not been to helpful so far !!!

Thanks..... :):D

Edited by haveaniceday

the injection will most likely kill your dog before she hits about 6 or 7. Out of the two females I gave regular injections too (before the vets showed up to spay) both died from cancer. The vet said its extremely common for this injection to give female dogs cancer.

I have a female dog that is over three and the only one of her litter that is still alive. I had her spayed at the vet hospital. They kept her over night and she was fine. I think it was about 1,500 for everything. The doctor does speak english. I take her every year for her rabies, parvo virus, de-worm and tick injections, about 500 Baht. She gets a bath at least once a week, eats good dog food and is very healthy! Can't say the same for most of the Thai owned dogs around here. My dog isn't a toy, she's more like a Dingo. Looks like most of the Thai dogs in the south, except clean and well cared for.

Just get her spayed and don't listen to the family.

I am in Loei Province and have had 4 dogs spayed in Muang Loei. I am taking two 6 mo. old dogs into be spayed in July. I have had no troubles, but use a friend to make sure we understand everything in Thai and just a little kidding from locals about farang spending money, but sure beats heck out of more puppies!

the injection will most likely kill your dog before she hits about 6 or 7. Out of the two females I gave regular injections too (before the vets showed up to spay) both died from cancer. The vet said its extremely common for this injection to give female dogs cancer.

I just smack my bitch. :)

I just smack my bitch. :)

And you don't get all the neighborhood "dogs" rutting at the front gate when ye'r away, better get the bitch seen to!!

Thanks folks,

Next Tuesday our little bitch shall be fixed up.

All I know is if I was a dog in Thailand, I would want to be a little white fluffy thing, Thais love them and just ignore the common Soi dog which there are so many of around here.

Thx for the tips.

up til recently the injection was used here in israel also for the same reason: to prevent pregnancy in bitches, because of religious objection (jewish religious) to spaying or neutering an animal so the injection was the answer. cancer was the reason behind it beoming not legal/not available. the old timer vets were still using it but no vet from the 'younger' set will do so.

not sure how to overcome the anti spay feeling among family members. i had to castrate my small male recenlty at the same time he had one eye removed (because of his balls i.e. hormones, he apparently got in a huge fight or got hit in the eye, cornea ripped, hence the eye removal, and hence also, the castration to keep him out of subsequent hormonally based dog fights). thai hubby was very not happy about the cost of the 2 in 1 operation (and i got a discount since i helped during the operation),nor the castration but since then, has not mentioned it again. foofoo's behavior has mellowed a bit, but he still acts 'male' (just shows that alot of it is learned and not hormonal only) enough that hubby has let up being anti castration/ now spaying also came up after lilee's miscarriage and subsequent problems but we have held off the spay to try for a litter in a year or so. he thinks we (farang) are looney tunes when it comes to our pets, but if he wants to spend money on gadgets and things, then i spend money on my pets. that shut up the financial argument.

good luck.

bina

israel

up til recently the injection was used here in israel also for the same reason: to prevent pregnancy in bitches, because of religious objection (jewish religious) to spaying or neutering an animal so the injection was the answer. cancer was the reason behind it beoming not legal/not available. the old timer vets were still using it but no vet from the 'younger' set will do so.

not sure how to overcome the anti spay feeling among family members. i had to castrate my small male recenlty at the same time he had one eye removed (because of his balls i.e. hormones, he apparently got in a huge fight or got hit in the eye, cornea ripped, hence the eye removal, and hence also, the castration to keep him out of subsequent hormonally based dog fights). thai hubby was very not happy about the cost of the 2 in 1 operation (and i got a discount since i helped during the operation),nor the castration but since then, has not mentioned it again. foofoo's behavior has mellowed a bit, but he still acts 'male' (just shows that alot of it is learned and not hormonal only) enough that hubby has let up being anti castration/ now spaying also came up after lilee's miscarriage and subsequent problems but we have held off the spay to try for a litter in a year or so. he thinks we (farang) are looney tunes when it comes to our pets, but if he wants to spend money on gadgets and things, then i spend money on my pets. that shut up the financial argument.

good luck.

bina

israel

We see many bitches that have been given contraceptive pills or injections. The incidence of pyometra is extremely high. The drugs should be bnned in Thailand as they are in many other countries now. Spaying is safe, economical, and will cut down chances of other forms of cancer.