Staying In Thailand

I have been travelling to Thailand for several years and wish to stay there.I currrently work for a computer company and can basically work from anywhere in the world as long as i have access to a telephone and a goood internet line and can easily support myself.

My question is....how can i begin to plan to stay there permanently.I am unsure about visa choices.

i have a girlfriend in near Suphan Buri but we have only been together a short time and marriage is along way off.

My questions are ;

1) Should i get an Ed visa to allow me to study the language further , stay in LOS and get to know my girlfriend better and would this help my overall plan to stay there ?

2) Can i get a work permit if my salary is from a UK company although i can work from anywhere in LOS and would this help my plan to stay better than an ED visa ?

I have enough money to make a marriage application but this seems a risky venture with any woman given the horror stories i have heard.I would rather stand on my own feet and do it alone.

Is this possible ?

You can not work in Thailand without a work permit so unless there is a company set up to support a work permit it would not be legal. There is no current provision for what you plan. So you need to take that into consideration.

You could study Thai and use an ED visa for that and it would make sense to do so if you planned a life in Thailand.

For working in Thailand you wil need to set up a Thai company. The rules are not made with people working over the internet in mind. Many people in your situation find it easier to just work and keep quiet about it. It still is illegal.

An ED-vis is always a good choise if you want to learn the language and will allow you to stay for a longer time in Thailand. You don't have to study Thai, any course with an ofcially recognised institution will do. Most study at least 4 hours a week. Click on one of the banners on top for more information about studying at a language school.

You can not work in Thailand without a work permit so unless there is a company set up to support a work permit it would not be legal. There is no current provision for what you plan. So you need to take that into consideration.

You could study Thai and use an ED visa for that and it would make sense to do so if you planned a life in Thailand.

Thanks for your speedy reply.The work permit seems tricky to say the least.Learning Thai seems the better option.With regard to eventually being able to stay in LOS...does the time spent with an Ed visa qualify for anything at all towards PR ?

Only being on a one year extension of stay would do that and language study is normally 90 day extensions. Plus PR requires a lot more than time to have much chance of approval.

I have read the posts on PR and it seems that if i were to marry a Thai national , open a business and pay the required income tax then i would stand a greater chance of approval.Marrying my girlfriend would enable me to stay and if we opened a business together then we could pay tax and fulfill that requirement..so what is next....continued periods of stay (visa extensions).I have enough money to fulfill the 400k requirement, i speak thai....what needs to be done to ensure a more than adequate application.

Sorry to trouble you but i am certain that you know alot more than me.

Can only go by what is written up on the PR thread. Do not believe it is simply a matter of paying tax; but that would be an expected part of the package. But would encourage anyone to ask immigration officers involved in the process as from all reports I have seen they will try to guide people in the right direction and let them know if not much chance.

In the last few years the process has stalled for those waiting for word - something to do with the political scene I would suspect.

You should read the pinned thread on PR.

The award of PR is based on a point system, that has several categories in which you can get points. The amount of tax you pay, speaking Thai are all categories in which you can earn points. They will also want to see that you are a credit to Thai society, so donations and volunteer work will also count. As said, read the pinned thread in the visa section.

Can one be on ED Visa(s) indefinitely in order to stay in Thailand, or is there a limit?

Since the Thai consulates seem to be limiting the number of Tourist Visas per passport, a Non-immigrant O visa for visiting friends looks like the only other practical alternative, though flying across the world in order to get one is a bit inconvenient.

Edited by hyperdimension

Believe it is fairly safe for up to 3 years but more likely than some to be subject to change on short notice. I would not make long term plans around it. But on the other hand it certainly makes sense to study Thai if planning long term stay.