Buying Computers From Usa Using Shipito

Digitalbanana

I opened a Shipito account a few months ago, and have used them for several smaller package shipments (nothing as heavy as a laptop) since then... No problem.

Their rates are good, and their web site allows easy online management of your incoming/outgoing packages, special handling and selecting shipping methods. They also send emails to you when a package has arrived or when they've sent one out to you.

They also give you quite a few choices and thus prices for shipping, including regular airmail (not trackable but cheap) and U.S.P.S Global Priority, which is probably the least expensive but trackable way to ship packages here.

They have a couple different shipping plans available, depending on how often you ship. Since I don't ship often, I took the plan that charges a flat fee of like $8.50 handling per package plus regular postage. As noted, since I usually request "special handling" -- which means having them open my package to remove shipping invoices, extraneous packaging and/or just to ship in the package box, not the larger vendor's shipping box -- that involves another $8 handling fee. So it typically ends up being about $16 per package plus whatever shipping postage I choose.

One thing to note about customs and duties: all of the items I've shipped with them have gone U.S.P.S. Global Priority, and not one of them has been opened or charged any duty/taxes. Previously, with other shipping companies that used Fed-Ex, DHL and UPS, EVERY package I received was dutied and taxed, often at extortionate rates... Get the picture???

Lastly, all of my items were smaller and/or non-fragile, so it didn't matter if they got bumped around a bit in transit. Those items included a mobile phone, clothing, a PCI card, and some vitamin products. And all arrived just fine, though they exterior packaging sometimes was crumpled a bit.

Re the OP's inquiry about a laptop, while there certainly may be price advantages to taking the U.S. route, personally, I might be a bit worried about the jostling that a laptop might receive in trans-Pacific shipment, even if the shipping package remains undamaged. Laptops tend to be a bit sensitive to a lot of jostling. And if you ended up having to do a warranty claim for product damage, the return shipping and such would be a headache.

Lastly, re electronics and computers, I believe it's also correct that "refurbished" items (as opposed to new) are charged either NO or very little duty under Thailand's customs rules. Given the wide availability of warranteed, factory refurbished electronics online from the U.S., that's another method to consider. Tech4Less.com is one vendor that offers a pretty good variety of "open box" and "factory refurbished" items at very good prices complete with full orig. manufacturer's warranty.

Here's an example of their actual charges (U.S.P.S. Global Priority) for a 2.3 lbs package containing a refurb mobile phone:

Mailout fee:$8.50 Discounted Postage: $33.19

($35) bank fee 4.3%:$1.43 TOTAL: $43.12

Edited by jfchandler

I opened a Shipito account a few months ago, and have used them for several smaller package shipments (nothing as heavy as a laptop) since then... No problem.<snip>

So, Thai customs understand the word "refurbished" ? I'm surprised!

Do you know if they understand "factory seconds" when applied to helmets, rainwear & nylon jackets?

Any experience, anyone?

cheers,:)

GD

• 3 weeks later...

I know there's a risk involved.... but if I was looking for a good but low-priced laptop from the U.S., I wouldn't use Fed-Ex... I'd use USPS/Thai Post instead. The chances of getting hit with a big customs duty are much less, even though the delivery time likely will be longer.

I also use Shipito for packages, and thus far, they've been quite competent, and offer a range of shipping options (from low to higher priced) that is broader than some of the other comparable services I've used. Their online interface for managing your account/packages also is quite good and easy to use.

• 3 weeks later...

if I was looking for a good but low-priced laptop from the U.S., I wouldn't use Fed-Ex... I'd use USPS/Thai Post instead. The chances of getting hit with a big customs duty are much less, even though the delivery time likely will be longer

I used Fedex via Shipito and was taxed as the Fedex site said (7%) on the price I listed at Shipito for the import price. So very pleased indeed. Delivered to my door and paid tax to the Fedex guy. Much cheaper than buying a laptop in Thailand for high end model that isn't even on sale in Thailand. Only concern would be warranty, if it ever breaks needs shipping back to country of origin during warranty period. I'll take my chances on that.

That sounds very strange... The added 7% presumably would be only regular VAT... Then that leaves unaddressed any import duty, and items brought in by FedEx aren't in the habit of escaping import duty, handling fees, CIF charges, etc etc... It might have helped if the item was refurbished... But if it was new, I'd find your report almost incredible.

I have also had the 7% VAT only no import duty on dutiable goods through Fedex and shipito.com but only once in 2 years :(

It is possible that the backlog at customs clearance was so big customs let through some items without full processing.

Do you mean you've only used FedEx thru Shipito one time in two years, and that was duty free?

Or, you've used them multiple times, and of all those, only one shipment escaped without duty....

I had, unfortunately, FedEx handle some clothes purchased online in the U.S. a few months back. And the charges for tax, duty, handling, CIF etc etc amounted to equal the value of the clothes... And that was apart from FedEx's own shipping charges, which were almost the cost of the clothes as well...

That wasn't done thru Shipito....but another mail handling firm... though I doubt that would make any difference re customs. Since then, I've had Shipito handle various items (computer parts and other electronics) for me, all thru USPS/ThaiPost, and none have been dutied at all. I have no plans to try FedEx again.

I have also had the 7% VAT only no import duty on dutiable goods through Fedex and shipito.com but only once in 2 years :(

It is possible that the backlog at customs clearance was so big customs let through some items without full processing.

I looked up the Fedex web site (https://www.fedex.com/EDT) to estimate duties and taxes beforehand what I would need to pay on delivery. The web site simply says 7% on imported computers customs declaration by me, and that is what the Fedex guy asked on my doorstep, so I was relieved and pleased to see this. It certainly was quick, arrived BKK airport 6am and on my doorstep midday, so perhaps full processing, whatever that may entail may have been skipped?

• 10 months later...

Well i have recently impoted a high end laptop into the country using them, they were very relaible, very fast and very professional.

I jumped through all the hoops to get my account 'verified' first, and they would only accept a wire transfer for the shipping costs as mine was a new accoutn with only a $100 monthly spending limit, so in order to protect themselves they insisted on the Wire Transfer as the shipping cost was over my spending limit.

They got the package on the monday, sent me the photos i requested, i gave them my instructions and the parcel was in the post by wednesday morning.

Saved myself a fortune on import taxes with the 'write your own customs declaration' - very pleased with their service. From my experience, they are reliable

Edited by MunterHunter

There's a lot said about customs and duties here, please let me clarify some common misunderstandings:

• Duties are paid on the VALUE of the goods, not the price you pay. If the invoice is undervalued, you may become guilty of fraud.
  • Duties are to be paid of the CIF value = the purchase price PLUS the transport costs to Thailand and the transport insurance. If the transport is not insured, the customs officers will assume the insurance premium for the duty calculation.
  • VAT is to be paid on the duties as well, as it is a VALUE added tax and the duties add a value to the goods.
  • Whatever you bring into the country is subject to duties, whether it is hand carried or brought in by a forwarder or parcel service.
  • If your cargo "slips through" using normal mail service consider yourself lucky. This also applies to the green channel at the airport. If they find something on a random check you can consider yourself rather unlucky

B)

of course if you use shipito.com and put the value customs declaration of say US$500 you will be charged a percentage of US$500.

I think you would pay duty on the CIF + VAT.

Not just on the 500.

If repacked properly at shipito, I would use USPS.

It to, is trackable.

Can anyone help me on how to purchase from us online stores without having american credit card or american paypal account?

Can anyone help me on how to purchase from us online stores without having american credit card or american paypal account?

Ask someone who has to help... i've found its almost impossible to get around those kinds of restrictions. Use PayPal where you can or look at the 'assisted purchase' from places like www.shipito.com - ive not used that service (only used the forwarding services) you will have to pay a little extra in charges but it might help you work around that restriction.

HTH

Check out the Warranty situation if you ship from the US.

Sending back a faulty machine could be very expensive

and Thai companies are reluctant to honour overseas warranties.

of course if you use shipito.com and put the value customs declaration of say US$500 you will be charged a percentage of US$500.

I think you would pay duty on the CIF + VAT.

Not just on the 500.

If repacked properly at shipito, I would use USPS.

It to, is trackable.

Many Thai Banks have debit cards that can be used.

I use Bangkok Bank's B1st card with no problems.

I've been told you can get a K-Bank shopping card to make online purchases.

Also I've had no problems with a Thai PayPal account. almost any Thai Bank can be used to set up a Thai PayPal account.

There should be no import duty on new computers only VAT and clearance/freight charges.

US credit card is do-able combined with shipito.com try https://www.usunlocked.com/ for the card.

How do you know this? Do you have any reference? Last I knew up to 40% import duty could be applied to new computers brought into Thailand.

How do you know this? Do you have any reference?

It is not on their duty list at 40% (Customs website) and also my bro works for japanese freight company in BKK. same deal. Never paid more than 7% VAT plus clearance charge for any notebook computers.

I use Bangkok Bank's B1st card with no problems.

I've been told you can get a K-Bank shopping card to make online purchases.

Problem is a lot of US Merchants will not accept a NON US issued card. usunlocked.com gets round that problem.

Edited by negreanu

Maybe not as many as Negreanu, but I've used Shipito for a lot of package deliveries here... They've never lost one of my packages, never had one unduly delayed, never had one damaged in transit... At least not yet.

The best deal they have going is their Shipito Airmail service, which you can use on packages with a maximum combined dimension of up to 35 inches total. The shipping prices for that, while not trackable, are dirt cheap, and not one of the Shipito Airmail packages I've ever sent, which are delivered by your regular Thai mailman to your door, have had ANY duty or tax imposed.

With larger packages, you have the choice of trackable shipping via USPS or FedEx. In my experience, I've always had no or lower duties on boxes sent via USPS Global Priority Mail, and my experience with Fed-Ex has been horrible in terms of CIF charges imposed. Others apparently have had a different experience with Fed-Ex, but I simply won't use them based on my past bad experience with them.

I went back and checked, and it turned out I had used Shipito to send a new, low-priced/special deal, standard-sized laptop (not netbook) last fall...via USPS Global Priority.

The total package weight came in at 9 lbs and 5 oz... The total Shipito charge was about $85, including about $71 for USPS Global Priority postage, Shipito's standard $8.50 processing fee, and then another $5-plus in misc charges they tack on. Then once in Thailand, Thai Post wanted another $18 for duty, amounting to about 6% of the purchase price/value, and I had to go to the regional post office to pay the duty and pick up my box. Thus the total shipping/handling/tax charge was a bit over $100 U.S.

In the end, I paid a total of about $380, or about 11,500 baht, for a new 15 inch display laptop with Win 7 64 bit pre-installed and all the other normal items. I probably could have come close to that here, though it might have been hard to do with a name brand, as was the model I shipped. But I felt like I got a good deal in any event.

I was a bit nervous about how the laptop would arrive, in terms of its condition. But it was packed for mailing to my U.S. address by the seller, and then just sent onward by Shipito...and the box arrived without any dents or dings... And the interior laptop box was well cushioned within the exterior shipping box.

Edited by jfchandler