Buying Computers From Usa Using Shipito

Digitalbanana

Not wishing to hijack another tread where the user is trying to buy on a Thai web site and one responder suggested buying in the USA, can anyone share experiences of using services like Shipito.com please?

Just reading their web site it would appear a no brainer with the expanded choice of products at cheaper prices in the US. Even some posters on this forum have used it to ship top end laptops reportedly? But surely there must be a catch or everyone would be doing it?

the catch is the high tax rates in thailand.

i own a shipping company in Miami-USA there for i ship most of my electronic from back home. i have been shipping laptops, various gadgets all the time using my own shipping company with low rates but the taxes here in thailand killing me.

For example, i just got my self a new laptop purchased from amazon, laptop cost me 800.00 shipping is about $65.00. that laptop in thailand is currently selling for 48.000 baht roughly $1500.00. the tax i paid on the unit was 9000 baht. so roughly bringing the laptop from usa cost me in total of $800.00+$65.00+$282.00=$1147.00 "with international warranty" at the end i saved about $300.00.

I dont know if it was worthed but i can say for big ticket items i dont mind shipping but for something under $500.00 you are not saving that much money unless you ship things that are not heavy and low tax in thailand such as clothing, books etc.

You can always use ups or fedex but their shipping rates are extremely high and they are not really helpful when it comes to save you on the taxes.

the catch is the high tax rates in thailand.

i own a shipping company in Miami-USA there for i ship most of my electronic from back home. i have been shipping laptops, various gadgets all the time using my own shipping company with low rates but the taxes here in thailand killing me.

For example, i just got my self a new laptop purchased from amazon, laptop cost me 800.00 shipping is about $65.00. that laptop in thailand is currently selling for 48.000 baht roughly $1500.00. the tax i paid on the unit was 9000 baht. so roughly bringing the laptop from usa cost me in total of $800.00+$65.00+$282.00=$1147.00 "with international warranty" at the end i saved about $300.00.

I dont know if it was worthed but i can say for big ticket items i dont mind shipping but for something under $500.00 you are not saving that much money unless you ship things that are not heavy and low tax in thailand such as clothing, books etc.

You can always use ups or fedex but their shipping rates are extremely high and they are not really helpful when it comes to save you on the taxes.

Shipito.com is fine. They have 60% discounted rates on fedex. 100% reliable and YOU declare the customs value before the item is sent.

I have had Laptops ($3000) Tax paid 300 (My choice), Computer Components, Blu-Ray Movies, Coffee machines all shipped here to BKK using them it really is incredibly professional organisation highly recommended and keeps the fedex rates ultra low and also the customs rate ultra low.

I use them perhaps 2-3 times a month every month for the last year or so never any issues.

Why does everyone not use them. No idea they probably have not thought of the opportunities it brings. Also Entropay Visa card and REAL mastercard opens up other doors as well. www.entropay.com

Edited by negreanu

Its great to have options such as shipito.com, they give good discount but the delivery a little longer than what i expected, i just did a quick calculation through their site and 5*5*5 package to Bangkok takes 15 to 25 days for $5.65 where fedex delivers the same package for $25.00 3 to 5 business days.

But as i said its always good to have options.

Its great to have options such as shipito.com, they give good discount but the delivery a little longer than what i expected, i just did a quick calculation through their site and 5*5*5 package to Bangkok takes 15 to 25 days for $5.65 where fedex delivers the same package for $25.00 3 to 5 business days.

But as i said its always good to have options.

The fedex delivery time from shipito is the normal Fedex delivery time if you choose priority or economy Fedex. The delivery time is exactly the same as if you used fedex direct.

I always get my items by Fedex Priority from shipito and most times 3 or 4 days for delivery depending on the day of the week for dispatch.

Edited by negreanu

You're probably right. When you look at the Thai Customs web site I couldn't find any specifics by end item; only what-if calculation scenarios which all added up to a big customs precentage/fee.

Does anyone know what the Thai customs rate is, say for a laptop? 10%, 15%, 30%, etc.

It can be as high as 40% for 'Luxury' items... when ever i have imported stuff to Thailand (and got stung by Customs) its been anywhere between 20% to 40% depending on the mood of the customs officer on the day.

So my 2000USD laptop will be declared as worth 500USD on the customs Fedex form and I get to pay the import tax and save on overall cost. Sounds like win win all around?

The dearth of cheap end laptops in Thailand's malls these days has driven me elsewhere.

So my 2000USD laptop will be declared as worth 500USD on the customs Fedex form and I get to pay the import tax and save on overall cost. Sounds like win win all around?

The dearth of cheap end laptops in Thailand's malls these days has driven me elsewhere.

Of course that assumes customs always accepts the end item value quoted by the customer, a quote which is probably on the low side most of the time due to the customer's desire to mininize the customs fee and willingness to take a chance on lower insurance coverage if the item is damaged/lost. I wonder how often customs actually opens boxes to verify the declared value. It's a crap shoot I expect.

Of course that assumes customs always accepts the end item value quoted by the customer, a quote which is probably on the low side most of the time due to the customer's desire to mininize the customs fee and willingness to take a chance on lower insurance coverage if the item is damaged/lost. I wonder how often customs actually opens boxes to verify the declared value. It's a crap shoot I expect.

I have never had anything opened by Thai Customs in 5 years to give you some idea. You have to be sensible tho obviously if the goods description is Sony Laptop and the value is $200. It raise an eyebrow or 2.

I have never had anything opened by Thai Customs in 5 years to give you some idea. You have to be sensible tho obviously if the goods description is Sony Laptop and the value is $200. It raise an eyebrow or 2.

I've had one package opened by them, but they still accepted the declared value and nothing went missing - so it could happen

I've had one package opened by them, but they still accepted the declared value and nothing went missing - so it could happen

Do you remember what the item was and the approx custom fee "percentage" they added on? Thanks.

May I ask what model you are looking for?

It might be cheaper and quicker to get Air Asia to Singapore, Hong Kong or Taipei from BKK and pick it up there. :)

Not sure yet, it will likely be a top end HP or maybe Dell. Not available in Thailand shops.

Does anyone know if when paying import tax at Fedex or post office on items bought over net elsewhere, one can claim the tax back on exit as one does when buying in shops locally? I will likely only have the equipment in Thailand a short while before taking it overseas for work.

No you cannot claim the tax back that is VAT Tourist refund.

HP notebook I would just fly to HK and get it there on air asia for the day. Cheaper than fedex and worrying about customs etc.

In Fortune there is a Dell dealer that is selling even Alienware Dell laptops at a premium but less hassle.

Edited by negreanu

Do you remember what the item was and the approx custom fee "percentage" they added on? Thanks.

It was a while back, but i think it was some Software DVD's and they added 40%

Thanks. Nice little tax profit for the Thai govt.

My guess is unless Thai Customs automatically accepts and individual's estimate of end item value and customs fee, the individual has the possibility in incurring a real "ouch" of a customs fee, especially on electronics type items. But if it still totals out to less than buyhing cost in Thailand, then all is good.

What's the point of spending 2000USD on a laptop anyway... I see lots of cheap ones everywhere i point my nose...

Martin

Edited by siamect

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

of course if you use shipito.com and put the value customs declaration of say US$500 you will be charged a percentage of US$500.

I think you would pay duty on the CIF + VAT.

Not just on the 500.

If repacked properly at shipito, I would use USPS.

It to, is trackable.

BTW

Consolidation

"REMOVE ALL PACKAGING" Does NOT include invoices & packing slips.

Keep this in mind when you fill out the customs dec.

This is an extra service charge.

As good as their service is, they are "grasping" for every dollar.

The women in CS do as little as possible to help, be warned. :annoyed:

Yes and therefore if it is a $2000 lap top probably wiser not to be farang ken yeow to be reasonable and claim something like 50% of value so as to avoid the possibility of it being confiscated and end up the customs officers new lap top...

Been using shipito for years from $10 items to $6000 items never paid more VAT or import duty over the declared customs value on the dec. Secondly not had one item opened or confiscated by customs.

Probably received around 40-50 items in the last 2 years by shipito.com to give u some idea. Is it a risk? perhaps but that puts it in perspective as to the chances.