Thai Car Insurance Criteria

yes.

No claims discount can get you up to 60% off the premium at the top level, and electing to pay a deductible (excess) on accidents can also save you a few thousand Baht as well (around half the deductible you choose to take on in most cases). Electing to only insure named drivers can be worth up to a couple of thousand Baht off as well, but this is a risky option in my opinion (i.e. your servicing dealer may need to road-test your car after repairs etc).

Garaging has no effect (probably because Thai garages are not secured), but home town/province will definititely impact the price. Your profession makes zero difference, nor does milage or minor driving infringments.

yes.

Thanks for your reply. How does the NCD escalate. UK is 1yr 30%, 5% per year thereafter to a max 60%, so insurers max 80%.

It varies. The best is 10% for each full year of no claims, up to a maximum of 60% discount. Some only go to 30% and have entirely different schemes - it's not hotly competitve in TH on that front, because the majority of motorists claim at least once every 18 months anyway (mostly bogus scratch repairs etc).

Note that some insurers will only count the years you've been continously insured with them though, and insuring multiple vehicles won't get you there any quicker.

RE your sub-title question: Are there certain things you should say?

Also yes :)

As a Farang you will be given special attention in the event of a major accident, by everyone including the Police. It's my recommendation that you increase your premium cover on the following items in order to achieve the level of cover you'll actually need:

* Bail bond is 200K standard. It may be wise to increase this to 400K if you won't have the additional funds available to bail yourself. Note that in the event of a serious injury or death, you will be arrested (standard procedure) and will need to bail yourself our of jail. As a farang you are an increased flight risk, so sometimes will attract a higher than normal (100K-200K) bail bond requirement.

* Death and disability is normally only 100K per passenger. If a farang is the driver or perceived to be the owner negotiations have a habit of starting at 1M. Up your cover to 1M per person and rest easier.

* Total liability can with some insurers be quite low. Make sure it's at least 10M Baht.

Also yes :)

As a Farang you will be given special attention in the event of a major accident, by everyone including the Police. It's my recommendation that you increase your premium cover on the following items in order to achieve the level of cover you'll actually need:

* Bail bond is 200K standard. It may be wise to increase this to 400K if you won't have the additional funds available to bail yourself. Note that in the event of a serious injury or death, you will be arrested (standard procedure) and will need to bail yourself our of jail. As a farang you are an increased flight risk, so sometimes will attract a higher than normal (100K-200K) bail bond requirement.

* Death and disability is normally only 100K per passenger. If a farang is the driver or perceived to be the owner negotiations have a habit of starting at 1M. Up your cover to 1M per person and rest easier.

* Total liability can with some insurers be quite low. Make sure it's at least 10M Baht.

I should note that these upgrades usually add 1000-1500 Baht to your premium, in most cases.

Also yes :D

I should note that these upgrades usually add 1000-1500 Baht to your premium, in most cases.

Understood. £20-30 sounds like a small price to pay, to insure against being absolutely shafted by the police, judiciary and a third party, that view crashing into a frang as a lottery win. :) Thanks for the heads up.