Help Panic Victim Visit Bangkok

sleepyjohn

Hi there

Maybe someone can help.

I suffer from panic attacks and could not travel for some time but I can now go, with difficulty, to Bangkok. Not yet using public transport but can taxi around a bit. One of the things that comes with it is a problem with heights. When I got here 6 years ago it was all I could do to get to even a 6th floor. I even have a problem seeing high buildings. It's improved a bit and to get a tumour removed I had to force myself to go to the 16th floor of Bumrungrad Hospital. That was a good step forward. Back to now I've just been invited to stay by a friend who's got two suites at Chatrium Suites on the river and I'd very much like to go. Here's the thing. He is on the penthouse, the 36th floor.

I dismissed it out of hand at first, but it seems to me it may be a great opportunity. If I could sleep up there I would desensitize myself over a day or two and the height problem might all but disappear I think.

Here's what I'm thinking.

Book into an economical little place nearby, then go over to Chatrium and just keep pushing until I can get up there.

My question is....where shall I stay first? The nearer, smaller, and more economical the better.

The Chatrium Suites is on the east side of the river about 1km south of Taksin Bridge about 2km south of Ban Rak as far as I can make out Charoen Krung sois 64 (nearest), 62, 67, and 69 are nearby. See a google map here:

http://www.chatrium.com/?MPage=26

Thanks

Edited by sleepyjohn

Hi John,

Good luck with the trip, I sympathise with you having a panic disorder, I have suffered in the past and know how horrible it can be. I reckon that Jackdawson is right and that you should go with your first instincts. The difference between the 16th floor and the 30th+ isn't that much, it's just a number really and maybe by staying in your friends it will help you to overcome this fear of yours. Fear can be a bloody debilitating emotion and sometimes it's best to think "bugger this" and face the dam_n thing, hope that you manage to stay in your friend's place and just think that after a day or two that you may be able to actually enjoy some fantastic view of Bangkok and the Chao Phraya River from his place.

Fear of heights is a rational fear but with technology and engineering these days you have nothing to worry about in a condo.

Good luck John, look forward to getting an update on your trip.

Chopper :)

I have panic problems too. More often than not my fears are worse then the reality. I don't know if I'd jump head first into Bangkok though, you may want to try one of the other major cities first and briefly stop in BKK.

Hey you can get good medication for all that .... Go ask a doctor or pharmasist. Its a psychological thing ... you be cured overnight! but you must keep taking the medication.

Maybe you can slowly wean yourself off the medication over a period of a few days whilst being up high ... wean off so you dont notice

Hi John,

Good luck with the trip,

Chopper :)

Thanx Chopper

I have panic problems too. More often than not my fears are worse then the reality. I don't know if I'd jump head first into Bangkok though, you may want to try one of the other major cities first and briefly stop in BKK.

You're right Wasabi BKK is pretty daunting to those like us......but I've been there three times now. Funnily enough after the Bumrungrad week it had been such an intense experience all round and thinking i would probably die too that I could hardly bring myself to be afraid of anything any more. That went off but there is still some improvement.

Hi John,

A friend of mine stayed in the Astera Sathorn Hotel a few months back, it's very close to Saphan Taksin BTS and bridge, maybe you could conmsider that place.

Thanx Chopper I just looked that looks like a really good place and the prices on Agoda reduced over 50% look cheap. About 1 km from Chatrium it looks like.

Hey you can get good medication for all that.........

Maybe you can slowly wean yourself off the medication over a period of a few days whilst being up high ... wean off so you dont notice

thanx for the thought Randee but that's a really bad idea. The one good thing is I am slowly improving and this time I've done it without any medication. You really don't want rebound reactions by weaning yourself when you're still in the dodgy situation.

Funnily enough when it comes to my first plane flight which I need to do sometime (I can only go by train which I rather like) I MAY use alcohol therapy, like a couple of beers.....just to break the ice. I shall choose a flight home though so I'm in comfortable surroundings afterwards. Hangovers are extra nervous for me but I reckon the elation of making it back into the air will more than cancel that out.

Thanx again all

John

John

Do not dismiss Randee out of hand - i suffered like you describe for most of my life til it finally reached a breaking point and it almost got the best of me.

I then started taking the meds and now life is totally totally changed. I still do, but I now take about 15% of what i started and soon i will go to the final step and stop using them daily (i only use 0.25mg now so zero is about the only real next step)

As the doctor who convinced me (here in bkk) said sometimes you are just running in high gear for too long and you need a hand to slow yourself down

Good luck and explore all your options - life is too short to not

Hey you can get good medication for all that .... Go ask a doctor or pharmasist. Its a psychological thing ... you be cured overnight! but you must keep taking the medication.

Err, could you tell me what medication is going to cure a panic disorder overnight?

Some people should maybe think a little bit more before they post such unsubstantiated drivel.

Wish the OP a great trip, concentrate on rationalising your fears :)