Documentaries On Cd

Drew Aitch

Hi forum,

I see lots of various CD options at the Night Bizarre for UK comedy shows, music, and film etc, but does anyone know of a place or person in Chiang Mai where you can order on request?

I would particularly like to get hold of the following if at all possible:

• Trails from the East
  • Around the Wold in 80 Days (Michael Palin)
  • Pole to Pole (Michael Palin)

and possibly others over time.

I can see that some of the above are available as quality downloads online, but they are such huge files, and my bandwidth is somewhat limited, thus making this an impractical option.

Anyway, for the sake of a few lines, it's certainly worth asking. Especially as the rainy season is now upon us and WeTV seems to go down at the mere sign of a black cloud :) Heck, there's nothing worse than having nothing to watch amid a late evening storm!!!

Thanks in advance

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the Doco's also, Discovery, etc... yet I always grab them in Blue Ray format from Mai Sai. I have never found one in Cmai and they all get them from Mai Sai anyway. As they are 22bt per DVD, in full packaging. Yes- amazing. I am sure they are original... :)

If you do a border run once over the border go down the steps to the market in Burma. Then go to the shop approx. 8 stalls down on the right with a huge array of great quality DVDs, CDs, etc. They are perfectly packaged and never had one fail on me yet- bargain. Do not bother with the other shops- IMO.

I like the Doco's also, Discovery, etc... yet I always grab them in Blue Ray format from Mai Sai. I have never found one in Cmai and they all get them from Mai Sai anyway. As they are 22bt per DVD, in full packaging. Yes- amazing. I am sure they are original... :)

If you do a border run once over the border go down the steps to the market in Burma. Then go to the shop approx. 8 stalls down on the right with a huge array of great quality DVDs, CDs, etc. They are perfectly packaged and never had one fail on me yet- bargain. Do not bother with the other shops- IMO.

Thanks for that jayinoz.

Dam, i was only there last week and didn't think for a minute they would have such a selection :D Oh well, there's always August, unless anyone knows of a place locally in the mean time ?

Cheers

Aitch

Thanks for that jayinoz.

Dam, i was only there last week and didn't think for a minute they would have such a selection :D Oh well, there's always August, unless anyone knows of a place locally in the mean time ?

Cheers

Aitch

They have all the latest and greatest movies there also. Heaps of box sets, bring a list as the Thai owner will do her best. If I find her email I will PM u... As u can order direct- but u pick up from mai Sai. Thai Owner with Burma staff... One of my greatest finds. :D

The best DVD shop is actually on the left. It's about the 5th shop or so. It is by far the best and the largest DVD shop there with a huge inventory. Many, many re-sellers buy there. If you befriend the woman who runs the place, you can get her email address and order what you would like and she will advise you when it is available. For a long time they were 30 Baht but when I was there a couple of months ago they had raised their prices to 40 I believe. They even have complete sets of TV shows, etc.

I may have misunderstood where the other poster was referring to. The place I am talking about is in the border market in Tachilek, Burma; not Mae Sai Thailand.

Edited by elektrified

The best DVD shop is actually on the left. It's about the 5th shop or so. It is by far the best and the largest DVD shop there with a huge inventory. Many, many re-sellers buy there. If you befriend the woman who runs the place, you can get her email address and order what you would like and she will advise you when it is available. For a long time they were 30 Baht but when I was there a couple of months ago they had raised their prices to 40 I believe. They even have complete sets of TV shows, etc.

I may have misunderstood where the other poster was referring to. The place I am talking about is in the border market in Tachilek, Burma; not Mae Sai Thailand.

I am talking about the Tachilek Market also... yes the one on the right are 40bt each. They been this price for quite awhile now and will not come down in price. Well 5bt down if purchasing over 5000bt worth. Yet they look to have a much larger selection on offer. However the smaller shop on the right can get what u wish upon request. The other is still 3 for 100bt for the Blue Ray quality DVDs. Yet if buy a lot and often u get discounted rate after awhile. I am down to 22bt per DVD now, 10bt VCD, 8bt CD. Yet that is semi serious quantity. Not sure if the larger one has Blue Ray quality on offer.

I saw the larger shop drop the price for Thais... not much for me. So I did not bother with them again. Yet the few I got from them years ago were all good as well. As I used to buy from them before 2005 for my GH in CMai. They lasted for years being played over and over by guests.

Hi, may just be able to help you out there Drew. I have been downloading movies, TV shows etc for a couple of years, now starting to index them albeit a tad late! All are excellent quality and many are 2009/2010.

If you're interested, pm me and I'll send you the index as it stands at the moment. If you can't see what your looking for, let me know, maybe I haven't added it yet. Just the answer for those rainy nights!

BTW I have both the Michael Palins you're looking for.

Cheers

TB

Thanks everyone for your input on this. I have noted the markets as a potential valuable resource for my next trip to the border in 3 months time. As i type, there's a monsoon a blowing outside, and it's quite usual for the TV to go off during these times, hence the need for some nice lengthy documentary type of CDs for the looming rainy season.

ToonBroon, the series mentioned in the opening post are what i'm looking for right now, although i'm sure more will come to mind as time goes by.

Cheers one and all

Aitch

Especially as the rainy season is now upon us and WeTV seems to go down at the mere sign of a black cloud wink.gif Heck, there's nothing worse than having nothing to watch amid a late evening storm!!

some of yr football pals wont like that if it happens in a few days time

Try the video shop in the basement of Airport Plaza close to the aquarium. They have a lot of documentary material (BBC/Nat Geo/Discovery etc) and, unlike downloading, much of it comes with Thai subtitles or a soundtrack too. If you join their discount scheme you get 10% off.

Edited by Greenside

If you wanna get smart and are into watching streaming docs online, this here's a great site to see all kinds of stuff. I watched a really great one the other day about the first Emperor to unite all of China and his grasping at eternal life. Way cool stuff. http://docu.injpn.net/ or http://docu.injpn dot net/ if that's the way forum rules prefer (I forget !)

Hi, may just be able to help you out there Drew. I have been downloading movies, TV shows etc for a couple of years, now starting to index them albeit a tad late! All are excellent quality and many are 2009/2010.

If you're interested, pm me and I'll send you the index as it stands at the moment. If you can't see what your looking for, let me know, maybe I haven't added it yet. Just the answer for those rainy nights!

BTW I have both the Michael Palins you're looking for.

Cheers

TB

Palin did two other great shows about Himalaya, and another about great railway journeys.

Hi Folks

This is just a quick update to the thread for anyone who may be interested in the topic. Firstly, thanks to one and all for your responses and suggestions.

My WETV has gone down twice since I started the thread, and although for only an hour or so, it still has that air of unpredictability hanging over it, especially when those dark clouds start forming over the Doi! I was also enjoying a movie the other day when it stopped half way through, and a brand new one kicked in. <deleted>! That's happened a few times now but fortunately it's not a common occurrence.

Anyhow, the main reason for this update is to just say I have found exactly what I'm looking for locally thanks to TV member ToonBroon (TB). In fact I've just come away with hours of viewing pleasure. After sticking a couple into the DVD player, I can confirm the quality is great. In fact I couldn't be happier and shall be requesting a lot more over the coming months from a list of documentaries, movies, and comedy shows from around the world. A list I hasten to add that seems exhaustive :)

I'm almost happy now for the TV to go off air, just so that I can get back to my treasured programs. The great thing is that even when those power-cuts kick in, I still have the ole notebook where I can kick back and enjoy watching whatever it is that tickles' my fancy at the time.

So thanks TB, much appreciated, and I'll let you know what else I'm looking for shortly :D

Aitch

TB, sounds like an impressive collection. I do a little D/L myself but delete them after watching them, unless its a good one.

i must add, sometimes our beloved internet in CM/Thailand isnt so bad afterall. Most ISPs in NZ have a cap on downloads, unless you can pay for it uncapped, which ends up being an expensive hobby

Here we can torrent to our hearts content.

i must add, sometimes our beloved internet in CM/Thailand isnt so bad afterall. Most ISPs in NZ have a cap on downloads, unless you can pay for it uncapped, which ends up being an expensive hobby Here we can torrent to our hearts content.

Not with AIS packages you can't Donny M' Boy! We're restricted by Bandwidth, and if one were to start downloading HD movies in volume, then it wouldn't be too long before those downloads cost an arm and a leg :D

But you're right, there's an unlimited service with others, but then again there's the speed and loss of connection issues that seem so plague so many ISPs. But hey, that's something for another day, as it's probably the most flogged to death topic on TV Chiang Mai :)

Aitch

TB, sounds like an impressive collection. I do a little D/L myself but delete them after watching them, unless its a good one.

i must add, sometimes our beloved internet in CM/Thailand isnt so bad afterall. Most ISPs in NZ have a cap on downloads, unless you can pay for it uncapped, which ends up being an expensive hobby

Here we can torrent to our hearts content.

Yes you're right Donny, unfortunately I'm the perverbial magpie just love to hoard!! Must have around 4-500 mostly AVIs but easy to convert to DVD if required. Struggling through the indexing... but getting there!

i must add, sometimes our beloved internet in CM/Thailand isnt so bad afterall. Most ISPs in NZ have a cap on downloads, unless you can pay for it uncapped, which ends up being an expensive hobby Here we can torrent to our hearts content.

Not with AIS packages you can't Donny M' Boy! We're restricted by Bandwidth, and if one were to start downloading HD movies in volume, then it wouldn't be too long before those downloads cost an arm and a leg :D

But you're right, there's an unlimited service with others, but then again there's the speed and loss of connection issues that seem so plague so many ISPs. But hey, that's something for another day, as it's probably the most flogged to death topic on TV Chiang Mai :)

Aitch

speed varies on mine, I can get up to 300 kb/sec on a good one but they average about 50-80 kb/sec, so I just let it run in the background all day rolleyes.gif

Hi Folks

This is just a quick update to the thread for anyone who may be interested in the topic. Firstly, thanks to one and all for your responses and suggestions.

My WETV has gone down twice since I started the thread, and although for only an hour or so, it still has that air of unpredictability hanging over it, especially when those dark clouds start forming over the Doi! I was also enjoying a movie the other day when it stopped half way through, and a brand new one kicked in. <deleted>! That's happened a few times now but fortunately it's not a common occurrence.

Anyhow, the main reason for this update is to just say I have found exactly what I'm looking for locally thanks to TV member ToonBroon (TB). In fact I've just come away with hours of viewing pleasure. After sticking a couple into the DVD player, I can confirm the quality is great. In fact I couldn't be happier and shall be requesting a lot more over the coming months from a list of documentaries, movies, and comedy shows from around the world. A list I hasten to add that seems exhaustive :)

I'm almost happy now for the TV to go off air, just so that I can get back to my treasured programs. The great thing is that even when those power-cuts kick in, I still have the ole notebook where I can kick back and enjoy watching whatever it is that tickles' my fancy at the time.

So thanks TB, much appreciated, and I'll let you know what else I'm looking for shortly :D

Aitch

I concur with Drew, as I've also had quite a selection from ToonBroon and they really are super quality.

I just watched an excellent foreign language movie based in Iran shortly after the Ayotolah returned, called The Stoning of Soraya M, which highlights both the hypocrisy of that religion and the barbarity of shariah law....... I highly recommended it.

I'm really pleased to see that TB has a load of British dramas and comedies, which will be next on my list.

If it wasn't for Premier League football, UBC would now be history with me.

Bring on the rainy season - I'm alright Jack.

Palin did two other great shows about Himalaya, and another about great railway journeys.

I've now got the Himaya series, but if you're reading this TB, can you get hold of the Great Railway Journeys, and possibly Trails from the East too? If yes, please let me know and i'll add them to my list and contact you once i have it ready.

Cheers

Aitch

I've now got the Himaya series, but if you're reading this TB, can you get hold of the Great Railway Journeys, and possibly Trails from the East too? If yes, please let me know and i'll add them to my list and contact you once i have it ready.

Cheers

Aitch

I watched the first three episodes of Himalaya with Michael Palin yesterday.

Top notch quality and Michael, really is great...so watchable.

I have to force myself to turn it off otherwise I'll finish it the same day!

just to be pedantic - they dont sell 'Blu-Ray' discs at Mai Sai - they come in Blu-Ray packaging but are copies from Blu-Ray discs and they are, therefore. not Blu-rays - sorry but worth pointing out in case someone wants specific Blu-Rays (like me) for a Blu-Ray player.

I watched 'Around the World in 80 Days' in 2 days :) You're right, very addictive viewing, and i have forced myself to stay clear of the DVD player today so that i can get on with other stuff :D Can't believe that series is 21 years old, which makes it more interesting today than when if first came out due to the changes around the world since that time.

Aitch

I watched 'Around the World in 80 Days' in 2 days :) You're right, very addictive viewing, and i have forced myself to stay clear of the DVD player today so that i can get on with other stuff :D Can't believe that series is 21 years old, which makes it more interesting today than when if first came out due to the changes around the world since that time.

Aitch

Nice to see you guys enjoying the fruits of my labour! I have added quite a lot more (movies, travelogues, tv shows etc) from my collection to the index which I will let you have in a day or two. First I have the job of house switching to take care of this weekend. :D

Cheers,

TB

I watched 'Around the World in 80 Days' in 2 days :D You're right, very addictive viewing, and i have forced myself to stay clear of the DVD player today so that i can get on with other stuff :D Can't believe that series is 21 years old, which makes it more interesting today than when if first came out due to the changes around the world since that time.

Aitch

Nice to see you guys enjoying the fruits of my labour! I have added quite a lot more (movies, travelogues, tv shows etc) from my collection to the index which I will let you have in a day or two. First I have the job of house switching to take care of this weekend. :D

Cheers,

TB

Trust you to get your priorities wrong! :)

I watched 'Around the World in 80 Days' in 2 days :D You're right, very addictive viewing, and i have forced myself to stay clear of the DVD player today so that i can get on with other stuff :D Can't believe that series is 21 years old, which makes it more interesting today than when if first came out due to the changes around the world since that time.

Aitch

Cheers,

TB

Trust you to get your priorities wrong! :D

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do....and what her indoors orders of course!

Talking of DVD quality, a friend loaned me a (Night Bazaar) version of Iron Man 2 the other day, what a load of crap! (Can I say that?) Leaving the picture quality to one side (and that where it should be left) the more entertaining of the experience where the sound effects. From the asmatic in the front row, the potato chips munching in the seat to the left and the contstantly sniffing nose behind! And then during the funny bits of the movie the barrel-effect giggles just about completed the agony. Oh, nearly forgot, the guy in front with the weak bladder. Ah well, TIT I guess! :)

Aitch

Cheers,

TB

Phew!! Glad all that's over, getting to old for this house moving caper. :D The actual moving was a doddle compared with getting 3BB to bring me back on line. :) But all's well that ends (fingers crossed!) well.

Cheers,

TB

Edited by ToonBroon

Aitch

Cheers,

TB

Phew!! Glad all that's over, getting to old for this house moving caper. :D The actual moving was a doddle compared with getting 3BB to bring me back on line. :) But all's well that ends (fingers crossed!) well.

Cheers,

TB

Now you can get back to the 'serious' stuff!

Glad all went well.