To People Living Outside Bangkok

Kagemori

Hello everyone

I am writing an article on the Red T-shirts rallies in Bangkok and I would like to know how the people living outisde the capital saw the crisis.

How was your perspective on the situation, using medais or not, compared to the people experiencing it in bangkok?

If I can help any comments on that, that would be great.

Thank you

It seemed very far away, until the curfews hit. Thats the problem with media. you can see hundreds of masacres in rhawanda at home in your front room and you feel distanced from it. Same when things happen close to home. You can see tortured prisoners from the comfort of your arm chair and while you eat noodles, and feel, distanced from it.

I'm not anti media, I just think that people by and large feel divorced from what they see on the news. It doesn't have any further impact on their world. When the curfews reached outside the capital people perked up a bit.

Looking down river and seeing the plumes of black smoke rising from the skyline.

The wife taking a call from her niece who had to run out of her burning building.

The wind shifting and carrying the faint sound of conflict.

all the time live was normal here,the only thing was that all thai here looking the tv all day.

johnyb yasothon

It was shocking...........I tried getting info. via the traditional sources (TV news), but the coverage was awful.

(Luckily, ThaiVisa did a good job covering events.)

[off topic discussion deleted - MiG16]

I started, for the first time, wondering if the anger and hatred and violence was going to surface where I live (Red country).

It was sad to see all of these things.....it was also predictable in away given the trajectory of the country during the past ten years.

After it was over, I was surprised at how quickly "normalcy" returned to Thailand (perhaps that is a temporary illusion).

[response to a deleted post removed - MiG16]

As fo me living in Bangkok, I was actually more inconvenienced when the army let the yellows run amok and seize airports and have gun battles in the street.

I would suggest you get the perspective of the people that actually matter, the Thais.

Where I am living, not to far (30 km) from CBD, the majority of my neighbors are from south Thailand, therefore pro-dem.

Already, since last year black Songkran, there was a major consensus to boycott any red business... and it worked.

Good riddance!

either answer the specific question the OP asked, or move to the next thread

Im not letting this turn into another 'the yellow/red/black/navy/government did this and that, who was/is terrorist who you support who you hold responsible' thread.

on that note, I deleted some such posts.

either answer the specific question the OP asked, or move to the next thread

Im not letting this turn into another 'the yellow/red/black/navy/government did this and that, who was/is terrorist who you support who you hold responsible' thread.

on that note, I deleted some such posts.

Petrol station not have any chocolate this morning?

I was talking with a Brit who lives in a smallish city in the south last week (hardly any farang there at all). He said no one would speak to him about it. I think they are embarrassed to have foreigners see how their compatriots behaved.

I'm not sure if by outside of Bangkok you mean another town or village or just outside of the centre, but we live in Sukhumvit 50, about 15 minutes away from town by BTS (at On Nut station, E9) and life continued as normal for us all the way through until the curfews began and the BTS stopped running.

The only thing of note was that the large Tesco-Lotus nearby received a bomb threat on the night of the first curfew but thankfully it was a false alarm.

Speaking to the locals who ran businesses in the area, they were getting thoroughly fed up at the two month long stand off and wanted the deadlock broken as quickly as possible. When the troops did take the barricades down by force, no one seemed to concerned at how it had happened, just glad it did.