Organic Potting Soil

MisterMan

Hi I actually know nothing about planting but I want to grow my own wheat grass so am assuming the dirt I need is called potting soil? or is fertilizer the same?

Regardless where can i find an organic version of this in Thailand?

wheat grass grows so quickly soil doesn't really matter so much, a bit of organic nutrient added to whatever will suffice. what is important that soil is sterilized to try and minimize mold and other nasties. i had great wheat grass for a while and then couldn't seem to make work anymore. Tried changing variables one by one but still no success so gave up- a shame as fresh juice is really tasty as well as healthy. would love to hear from successful growers.

Fertilizer, sh1t, or compost is NOT soil.

If I were you, I'd go up that road between Kok Chang and Pub Pla, and find some good dark soil up there.

Putting animal (or bird) crap in it can possibly burn your plants.

That stuff is fertilizer and should be put around (not touching) the plant(s).

Adding compost (broken up leaves, composted egg shells, coffee grounds, grass clippings) (ALL IN MODERATION) is a good idea but is NOT SOIL!

It is something that is added to soil and can be compared to food for the plant.

The local Montessori school makes (and I think they sell it) liquid compost that is also a good source of food.

The deeper into the jungle you go to get your soil, the more organic it will be.

All in all, the potting soil that you buy at a landscape center is probably fine although maybe not "certified" organic.

I have some great soil in my garden that I got from a friend who lives at the bottom of a hill and we got it from mud run off the mountain behind him after a rain. I add broken leaves, vegetable, the occasional coffee grounds etc. to it from time to time (not too much)

My wife talks to our plants sometimes and I must say, our Papaya tree is the talk of the neighborhood.

Good luck Mr Man.

I don't think you can find " organic" potting soil .

In larger garden shops is usually sold in sealed bags advertised as sterilized, that is- nothing but dirt.

But, of course in Thailand , Caveat Emptor.