Golf Etiquette

macanello

That's not fair to the japanese! They can be extremely polite while walking across your putting line while talking on their mobile. Don't get me started on the russians who have recently picked up the sport because they can now wear white shirt, pants and shoes without looking out of place.

That's not fair to the japanese! They can be extremely polite while walking across your putting line while talking on their mobile. Don't get me started on the russians who have recently picked up the sport because they can now wear white shirt, pants and shoes without looking out of place.

LOL. I hear you and have seen them crawling on the course. Whatever happened to the old "Arnold Palmer" school of golf? The game has just become a sort of "wilding" as the mass debris of human existence invaded the game and have eradicated the gentleman intent of the sport.

Edited by Speedking

Be careful, the next thing to ruin the sport will be women golfers ;) kidding.

But seriously, the sport I took up and spent years and thousands of dollars to practice and play is going to the dogs I am afraid. Gone are the good old days of good sportmanship when you hit one 0B you could just drop another one without anyone noticing.

It's so crowded now you can't even give yourself a little foot wedge to improve your position without some asshol_e with a mobile camera catching you.

Remember when you could throw your driver down the first fairway without 4 groups behind you snickering. Those kind of moments one should be able to share with mother nature herself-not a bunch of 20 year old korean kids with 3 handicaps.

Nowadays, a guy can't even enjoy a second beer on the practice green before some 'do-gooder' complains to the proshop you stole one of his balls.

Miss the old days I do.

Bloody Russians just had a couple move in next door to me, detestable people, no manners, loud and dirty, I dread to think what they're like on a golf course!!

Be careful, the next thing to ruin the sport will be women golfers ;) kidding.

But seriously, the sport I took up and spent years and thousands of dollars to practice and play is going to the dogs I am afraid. Gone are the good old days of good sportmanship when you hit one 0B you could just drop another one without anyone noticing.

It's so crowded now you can't even give yourself a little foot wedge to improve your position without some asshol_e with a mobile camera catching you.

Remember when you could throw your driver down the first fairway without 4 groups behind you snickering. Those kind of moments one should be able to share with mother nature herself-not a bunch of 20 year old korean kids with 3 handicaps.

Nowadays, a guy can't even enjoy a second beer on the practice green before some 'do-gooder' complains to the proshop you stole one of his balls.

Miss the old days I do.

Sounds like you need to come and play my local 9 hole course, it is always empty, I have never been held up and never had any one in front of me, it's a great little course and a tough test!! it is called Phunaka on Phuket!!

Bloody Russians just had a couple move in next door to me, detestable people, no manners, loud and dirty, I dread to think what they're like on a golf course!!

I used to fish at a nice lake here untill the Russians started coming, I don't go any more!!!

Russians deserve some credit for taking over Brighton Beach in Brooklyn. At least the crime is organized now. The Russians seem to have a deviant cultural aspect where as long as they don't get caught commiting a detestable act, they think its okay--- like when they used to kidnap our merchant seaman during ww2 after we send them a supply ship. As far as the Koreans though, they truly muck up the pleasure of the game. It seems that they're all clones of the same "mechanical jerkwater golf swing". - The over-cocked awkward initiated wrist followed by the baseball bat flat slow 'grandmother' speed backswing resulting in the duck hook ball flight pattern and then the ten minute ball search in the OB brush. Talking to them about even the most mundane is like 'one hand clapping'

I always found it was the Japs who spoiled the game for everyone else. I met some very rude Japs on the golf courses here.

Would have to agree with this, Japs and Korean's have the least Etiquette on the courses... Up at Karbinburri its race to the golf course at 7am to beat the Korean's to the tee!

Edited by shanewiso

It seems that both the japanese and koreans behave in an extremely immature manner on the course. I wouldn't even elevate it to adolescent. They are truly each just a little bit of a person and appear only capable of superficial interaction. They inappropriately misinterpret western mannerisms by attempting to 'copy' western behavior (that's always good for a laugh) when in essense they mostly just appear stilted, crude and possessing the personality of a wet rag.

You need to understand local mentality_in the west we want to finish asap, while here they look at it as the longer I take the better value I get. ;)

Moving forward, an entrepreneurial course owner will figure out slow play is hurting his bottom line and will implement a time based payment system. Over 3.5 hours to 4 hours, get a bill of 300 baht extra. 4-5 hours +500 baht, 5+ hours, 1000 baht and a kick in the balls.

Great thought, but do it the other way around - add 1000 baht to the greenfee and pay it back if they can finish the round under 3.5 hrs, 500 for 4 hrs and so on.....

"Pay it back". We are talking about Thais here aren't we? Not going to happen. :lol: