New Employer...new Wp W/o Leaving Kingdom?

I'm an American citizen, 49 years old. I have had a work permit from my employer for the last four years. My current extension of stay expires later this month. My multiple reentry permit expires at the same time.

I now have a new fulltime position with a new employer. I would like to not have to go through the hassles of leaving Thailand to get a new Visa. Can I really do this?

Yesterday, I went to Ministry of Labor with my old employer and my work permit was surrendered. Then I went to Immigration with my new employer, where I was told that I need a letter from my former employer in order for my current extension of stay to be canceled. That letter will come today, with any luck at all. My new employer will then begin the process of applying for a new work permit.

Does anyone know what else I need in order for this to happen? Am I on the right track? I've got enough on my plate that I really don't want to take 2 or 3 days to sit someplace else waiting for a new Visa, especially if it can be handled here with a savings of energy and money.

In advance, thank you for all of your helpful advice.

In theroy you should be able to stay in country to change your WP over to a new employer, especially if the same Labour office.

In practice, certainly in my experience, better to start again, leave the country, go to Singapore, or similar get your Non-imm B and come back, seems to be far less hassle

When you now go to immigration, they will cancel your permission to stay (and maybe fine you for overstay) and only give you a 7 day extension. You than have that time to apply for a new WP. Without a new work permit (or WP3 form) and the usual company documents, you will not get a further 1 year extension of stay. So if not ready within a week, you will have to go abroad. Note that in the region you will not get a non-B visa without the WP3 form from the labour office.

(All assuming you are on an extension of stay based on your work).

I would like to suggest you go to KL for your new visa. The Thai Embassy there is really service oriented and most people have good luck when using them. I used them once in 11 years when I changed jobs and needed a new type O.