Mazda 3

I bought a Mazda 3 Hatchback (1.6 liter), and have been driving it around for one week. Thought I would give my thoughts and impressions.

Engine - A bit underpowered, but I knew that going in. Opted to get the 1.6 because of the lack of sunroof. I know that sounds funny, but the 2.0 engine has a sunroof, which makes the roof lower, and my head hits the ceiling (I'm 195cm). I figure I would rather go for less ooomph and not have my hair getting "Static frizz" every time I step out of the car.

I notice the lack of engine power mostly between 40-60kph, but its not a huge issue, and I adjusted my driving style, and dont' notice it much. Engine is very quiet. Can't hear it at all when sitting in the driveway, etc.

Suspension - really quite lovely. Great feel of the road and handling seems fine for my "Granny driving" style.

Exterior - Went with the white, and the heat reduction white paint provides is very noticable. Always wondered why more white cars aren't around. Love the overall look and sleekness of the car. Headlights are really bright and nice, and the mirrors are nice and big, making backing up a breeze (which I do a lot on my dead end soi)

Tires - Goodyear Eagles (Which make me happy, but Goodyear is the last tire manufacture whose world headquarters still reside in my hometown of Akron, OH, USA. Used to have all the big ones, but they all left. Goodyears FTW!

Interior - Very impressed. Leather seats are quite comfortable, and lowering the seats lets my big head clear the roof by 2 inches. All the interior plastics have a very solid feel, and the layout is sport but understated. The purple and red glow of the dash at night is just cool. Air con works wonderfully, and sound system is quite nice. Wish there was a plug adapter for my Iphone. I bought one of those power adapter "Radio Frequency" jobs, that plays the mp3s through the car radio. Only problem is that Bangkok has so many radio stations, there is no good place in the dial with a clear signal. I removed the radio antenna (simple unscrew and stuck in the glove box) and problem solved. (Wife is mad at me, only had the car a week and already changing it, she said, lol). But now I have full access to my iphone music, and my own hometown sports radio station in my car - WIN.

Got nice Lamina POP window tint. 60% on the sides, 40% on the front. Beautiful stuff. Just cleaned up the lettering yesterday with some nail polish remover, and looks perfect now.

Overall Impression - I love it. A perfect car would have the 2.0 engine with no sunroof, but life is all about compromise, and I think its a really good ride. The fact that I am driving around in a Volvo designed safety frame, with frame steel 2mm thicker than Honda and Toyata actually gives me a lot more peace of mind then any qualms over acceleration.

8.5 out of 10

My son loves it too - don't know any higher praise than that.

post-99470-1275613292_thumb.jpg

Leather seats are quite comfortable, and lowering the seats lets my big head clear the roof by 2 inches.

Seems you could of had the 2litre afterall, just lower the seat.

Thanks for the report, I've had a couple of Mazda's over the years, always be great little cars in my opinion.

Nice review.

I had the Mazda 323 Astina hatchback back in the 90s and that was a beautiful car. Even had pop-up headlights. I moved on to Subaru but would happily get a Mazda again. I avoided white because I'm too lazy to wash it more than once a week.

They have real class and always stand out in a crowd. My next car is either a Mazda, Ford Focus or Honda Civic. Civic would be mainly for easy resale.

Sorry to hear about the lack of mid-range acceleration. Inhibits overtaking.

Fortunately I'm not as tall. :)

Edited by Camelot

I avoided white because I'm too lazy to wash it more than once a week.

Never had a white car but understand from those who do that it's a lot easier to keep clean than many other colours, especially black.

Anyway, the car looks great SomTumTiger. Good to hear you are happy with it.

• 3 months later...

Hey SomTumTiger,

I was wondering if I could trouble you to post your comments on your Mazda 3 now that you have had it for a few more months? I am thinking about getting one so all information would be very much appreciated.

I sat in one at Central Chaengwattana the other day and was surprised by how much room there is for the driver. I'm 201cm tall and leggy for my height even, so driver leg room is always an issue for me. There were also a few Nissans there so I tried sitting in the Teana and the March. Turns out the March would have much better leg room for the driver. Crazy. Anyway I don't think I will get that one, something a little bigger would be nice even though this will be our #2 car.

So I am kind of looking at the Civic and the Mazda 3 right now. Haven't tried sitting in the Civic yet or even compared prices a whole lot. Been reading a lot of reviews of the Mazda 3 and looks like it gets plenty of good press.

Hey SomTumTiger,

I was wondering if I could trouble you to post your comments on your Mazda 3 now that you have had it for a few more months? I am thinking about getting one so all information would be very much appreciated.

I sat in one at Central Chaengwattana the other day and was surprised by how much room there is for the driver. I'm 201cm tall and leggy for my height even, so driver leg room is always an issue for me. There were also a few Nissans there so I tried sitting in the Teana and the March. Turns out the March would have much better leg room for the driver. Crazy. Anyway I don't think I will get that one, something a little bigger would be nice even though this will be our #2 car.

So I am kind of looking at the Civic and the Mazda 3 right now. Haven't tried sitting in the Civic yet or even compared prices a whole lot. Been reading a lot of reviews of the Mazda 3 and looks like it gets plenty of good press.

I bought my Mazda3 10 months ago and love it. Its the 1.6 ltr and yes its a little underpowered at low speed. How I get around passing another car quickly is that I flick the gear shift to manual and down shift and put the pedal down and away you go. Its the best handling car I have ever owned. It has won the "Best midsized car of the year" 4 years in a row in Australia. I also own a Landrover Discovery fitted with a 4ltr Lexus V8 and when I drive that and then get into the Mazda its takes a while to get used to the power differance.

I give the Mazda3 9/10. Also I am 198cm tall and weigh 135kg so I am a big man but fit in the car and have heaps of head,foot room.

Great report and glad you are happy with your purchase. Mazda has made some great cars over the years and was way ahead of the pack with the rotary-engine. Along with Subaru and Suzuki, they have all made some great cars in the past and continue to do so today. They are little gems of car companies that are often over-looked in the Japanese mega-car company universe of Toyota-Honda-Nissan.

Could you give us some pricing info and maybe a few more pics of the exterior and interior.

Edited by FarangBuddha

Thanks Big Gary, that's good info. I took a little tour of the showrooms along Chaengwattana Road yesterday. Turns out Toyota is completely out of the question, I have no chance of fitting into any of their cars except the Fortuner. Not that I really wanted the "driving a taxi" feeling that the Altis would unavoidably give. The Civic... well, not too bad, I guess I could drive it, but still not quite as good in terms of driver leg room as the Mazda 3.

We are leaning towards the Mazda3 1.6l hatchback. Took the 1.6l sedan for a quick spin as they didn't have the hatchback available for test drive, but anyway, the initial impressions were good. Will head back to the showroom later this week, also will check out the new Ford Fiesta but I guess it will be the size of the Mazda2 and thereby more or less out of the running.

FarangBuddha, the Mazda3 prices I got were:

1.6 Spirit Sedan 830,000

1.6 Spirit Sport 857,000

2.0 Maxx Sedan 966,000

2.0 Maxx Sport 1,035,000

The "sport" is the 5-door / hatchback version.

We are leaning towards the Mazda3 1.6l hatchback. Took the 1.6l sedan for a quick spin as they didn't have the hatchback available for test drive, but anyway, the initial impressions were good. Will head back to the showroom later this week, also will check out the new Ford Fiesta but I guess it will be the size of the Mazda2 and thereby more or less out of the running.

FarangBuddha, the Mazda3 prices I got were:

1.6 Spirit Sedan 830,000

1.6 Spirit Sport 857,000

2.0 Maxx Sedan 966,000

2.0 Maxx Sport 1,035,000

The "sport" is the 5-door / hatchback version.

After posting, I too did some further research without leaving my room [dam_n I love the internet]. Mazda Thailand actually has a pretty good website...the English part too, which is more than I can say for some of the other major car companies in LOS. There were lots of good interior/exterior pics there and good information on specs and pricing.

One thing that would lead me toward the 2.0 Max editions is that they are the only models that seem to have the full side curtain airbags. In addition, online reviews mostly state that the 1.6 is underpowered and for only a few thousand US$ more, I get the extra safety and more power. Agree that it's a nice looking car and DIFFERENT as well. I have always liked the convenience of hatchbacks so would probably go for a 2.0 Max in that variant.