Royal Thai Police

sonnyJ

What is your experience of the Thai police?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Today, around Saphan Khwaai, BKK, I was walking out my home soi heading to 7/11, threw out my cigaret on the soi like everybody does, after I came out, placed my receit and the cap of my drink in the trash can, the officer was waiting for me.

He tried to pull out the trashing fine scheme, and asked if I had a passport. I had it with me, for the first time this year. Usually I never carry it with me. He took it and started to walk away to cross the road to his post, in front of the gold shop in the corner of Pradipat and Pahonyothin. So, I had to follow him.

Over there he said 2,000 baht and pointed out the sign. Over 200 meters away from the place where he spotted me across the road. I told him come on I live here for almost 2 years now. He wasnt interested. Then he shows some old receit of 1000 b and blah, blah. I said write me a ticket and I will pay it later at the police station, I'm busy, I need to go. He wasn't interested.

So I called my thai friend, her mom wanted to talk with him. When she asked his name the guy hanged up. His name tag said Tawii Chetawin. Wouldn't show any ID when I asked for proof.

My friend told that almost everything this guy did was illegal.

In Finland I have learned to have some respect for the police. But this problem was resolved easily. He just kept saying wait here but I just took my passport off his hand and walked away.

My thai friend was wery concearned that don't let him touch you, maybe he'll place some drugs on you. Don't follow him to anyplace where theres nobody to see what's happening. This is how at least some thais see the police. I wouldn't have ever imagined that.

From now on I will never hand on my passport to police again.

It's better to go to the station. Not everybody is croocked there.

Don't get me wrong here. I have some experience of the Thai police doing their job, as I would expect police to do.

But as in my latest example. It's propably close what most of the tourists visiting Thailand will see.

Anyway, I'm sure we farang get the easy way anyway.

I was driving back to Chaing Mai from Bangkok about 10 days ago, when I got waved down by a Trafic Cop at a roadblock.

He approached my car and gave a crisp salute. I wound down my window and smiled inanely at him.

He asked my Wife where we were going and where we had come from, I kept completely quiet. He and my Wife talked for a few minutes, he then asked in English where I came from and I replied "England" did not want him to think I could speak any Thai (Thank You Ajarn).

Anyway after he had finished talking to my Wife he stood back from the Car and gave another crisp salute and wished us "Good Luck" in English and waved me on.

Apparantly he had been radioed from a few miles down the road to say there was a vehicle travelling at 120 kms in the outside lane. He told my Wife that if I were Thai I would have had been fined , but was letting me go because my Wife said she would explain everthing to me and I would abide by the law.

I was Astounded. After everything I had heard before about Traffic Cops, this was the first time I had been stopped. If he had checked further he would have found I had No Driver's Licence (had to be sent to BK as I moved up to CM,) NO Insurance Policy (as it was in the process of being renewed) and NO Road Tax (ditto insurance). but I am sure that would have cost me a hevier fine.

So what can I say. I can imagine most of the other posts will be negative, but in my singular experience I have no complaints :o

Cheers

TP

I have to say that my few dealings with the Thai police over more than a decade have been fine. I got a ticket this year for making a wrong turn and the whole episode was above-board and rather funny. The police at the station had a good laugh at my expense -- I told them I couldn't read road signs in Thai and they pointed out it had an international symbol -- a turn arrow with a big red x through it. Paid the man 400 baht and got a receipt. For some reason I left smiling.

On the whole, Positive.

My apartment got "kemoyed" one time and the cops showed up straight-away. Very helpful and were able thru their contacts to track down the bad guys.

Didn't get all my stuff back tho - had a pretty good collection of old foreign money I'll never be able to replace. :o

I have been coming to Thailand and working/living here since 1993 and in all that time the majority of dealings with the police were traffic offences purely my own fault. I smiled a lot and paid the lower rate of fine.

One time I was coming back to Bangkok from Khampaeng Phet with my wife (girlfriend then) in a borrowed car and had a puncture. I pulled into the petrol station a few metres away and tried to change the wheel. The wheelbrace was the wrong one and nobody could help so my wife told me to call the tourist police which I did. A local traffic police pick up arrived after about 20 minutes and they couldn't help either so they called the heavy rescue guys out who fixed the problem in a couple of minutes. I offered the first police guys some cash but they refused and told me to give it to the heavy team which I did and my wife gave the first team some fresh fruit from the farm and they were more than happy with that.

I wrote to the Tourist police and told them the story but I heard no more.

Outside of Bangkok and the tourist places mostly the local police are nice and friendly and touch wood I have had no problems with them at all.

Mind you that is just me and other posters may be not so lucky.

Thai Police :o:D

To go off the subject a little does anybody know where I can buy a computer that can spell properly they way I want it to spell?

Edited by billd766

Bad luck BM, sorry to hear that. TP, you should buy a lottery ticket :o Edit- just read Biild's post- nice one.

To the OP, I once got nabbed for the same at Chatuchak- my Father was visiting and he just laughed and took pictures of me with the smiling cop! :D

Had a traffic accident driving to Phuket last year, spent a weekend in the clink waiting for the bail bond guy to come (was in the middle of nowhere and a weekend). Anyways, played takraw with the cops, got 'invited' to stay in the chief's house and all in all, a very unexpected but oddly relaxing weekend. Chief and his wife were great! :D

Edited by bahtandsold

I was driving back to Chaing Mai from Bangkok about 10 days ago, when I got waved down by a Trafic Cop at a roadblock.

He approached my car and gave a crisp salute. I wound down my window and smiled inanely at him.

He asked my Wife where we were going and where we had come from, I kept completely quiet. He and my Wife talked for a few minutes, he then asked in English where I came from and I replied "England" did not want him to think I could speak any Thai (Thank You Ajarn).

Anyway after he had finished talking to my Wife he stood back from the Car and gave another crisp salute and wished us "Good Luck" in English and waved me on.

Apparantly he had been radioed from a few miles down the road to say there was a vehicle travelling at 120 kms in the outside lane. He told my Wife that if I were Thai I would have had been fined , but was letting me go because my Wife said she would explain everthing to me and I would abide by the law.

I was Astounded.  After everything I had heard before about Traffic Cops, this was the first time I had been stopped. If he had checked further he would have found I had No Driver's Licence (had to be sent to BK as I moved up to CM,) NO Insurance Policy (as it was in the process of being renewed) and NO Road Tax (ditto insurance). but I am sure that would have cost me a hevier fine.

So what can I say. I can imagine most of the other posts will be negative, but in my singular experience I have no complaints :D

Cheers

TP

TP, I do that route a couple of times per month, and I usually have 200 baht stuck in my visor, since I often get popped for speeding around Thoen, going both north and south.

TP, I'd like to borrow your wife next time :D

As for the original question, there is no black and white answer to that, I feel. I've been quite lucky to have always had good experiences with Thai cops, even when having to pay for speeding. But I know it can go differently. In this inherrently corrupt society minus many of the checks and balances, it can be very tricky when dealing with cops- or most other officials. :o

All in all, I'd still rather be dealing with Thai cops than California cops, any day :D

Friends.  Why do you think that littering is permissible, whether you're in your neighborhood, or not?  I'm with you - don't show them your passport the next time, and you can spend a night in jail.

I don't consider smoking littering. The problem is elsewhere.

This litter-so-you-get-fined thing could maybe work, if it would be applied everywhere. But it's not.

Actually I dont believe in such kind of forcing to learn approaches,, but well, you never know..

Main thing is that it's ALL about MONEY what the cops do on this matter.

About passports and police or what ever, I'm just trying to create some awareness, that I'm sure many have got already.

Be careful!

I also am not getting involved in this one because i have quite a few friends who are Thai policemen

It's always nice to have few friends from police.

But the topic was not about are they nice guys. It's about how do they do their job. And what are their jobs anyway?

Police protects the society and implements the laws legisted.

Right?

Friends.  Why do you think that littering is permissible, whether you're in your neighborhood, or not?  I'm with you - don't show them your passport the next time, and you can spend a night in jail.

This litter-so-you-get-fined thing could maybe work, if it would be applied everywhere. But it's not.

Actually I dont believe in such kind of forcing to learn approaches,, but well, you never know..

About passports and police or what ever, I'm just trying to create some awareness, that I'm sure many have got already.

Be careful!

Again, years ago in Canada, driving back from camping, took my friends past our old family house in a town on the way (after a stop at Mcdonalds). We pulled up at the Ferry terminal baout 80 kms later and when we stopped, a guy came and banged on the window. He asked if I liked the town we'd just come from- I replied sure, i used to live there. He then dumped a pile of MCy D's wrappers on me and said "Keep it clean then!". Turns out someone in the back had littered... :D

Fast fwd to a trip to Isaan country- my friend's GF threw out the plastic and wrappers when finished eating- I stopped the car and said, how would you like it if someone threw that garbage in front of your house? To which she replied "Not my house, bi raos!". :o

Point being, littering is ignorant. Don't litter, don't pay fine. Nuff said? :D

Edited by bahtandsold

I also am not getting involved in this one because i have quite a few friends who are Thai policemen

It's always nice to have few friends from police.

But the topic was not about are they nice guys. It's about how do they do their job. And what are their jobs anyway?

Police protects the society and implements the laws legisted.

Right?

mmmmm

In the title it asks Thai police friend or foe? i was just answering friend

Police in Thailand are like Police anywhere, if you treat them with respect they may cut you a break.

Some problems that Farangs have are all down to the fact that farangs think they are so superior to Thais, including Thai Authority, with that attitude, it's no wonder some Farangs have problems.

If you break laws, expect to get busted, no matter what country you are in, if you are nice to the guy that busts you, you may have a chance of walking away, if you have a typical farang, ( I am superior to Thai ) attitude and treat the Police bad, you're nicked, same goes for every country.

By the way, you deserved to be fined 2000 baht for littering, it's the law.

Edited by Bilko

Be careful!

Again, years ago in Canada, driving back from camping, took my friends past our old family house in a town on the way (after a stop at Mcdonalds). We pulled up at the Ferry terminal baout 80 kms later and when we stopped, a guy came and banged on the window. He asked if I liked the town we'd just come from- I replied sure, i used to live there. He then dumped a pile of MCy D's wrappers on me and said "Keep it clean then!". Turns out someone in the back had littered... :D

Fast fwd to a trip to Isaan country- my friend's GF threw out the plastic and wrappers when finished eating- I stopped the car and said, how would you like it if someone threw that garbage in front of your house? To which she replied "Not my house, bi raos!". :o

Point being, littering is ignorant. Don't litter, don't pay fine. Nuff said? :D

Exactly.

It's the 3 Rs. Reduce Reuse Recycle.

I agree completely. But I'm hooked man. I can't stop smoking.

What can I do? I think it's just unfair to pick me up when there are 100 thais smoking around me.

OP,

Get real, you threw your butt on the ground. There was a trash can nearby. You're a litterbug. $2000 in NZ, about 500Quid in the UK.

Basically your lazy. And you're a polluter.

Giving your passport, you're in the category for xxxx award.

How many signs are there that say don't litter? Throw your butts in your own lounge room. Another sob story [snip. /meadish].

MP5 Out

Edited by meadish_sweetball

Police in Thailand are like Police anywhere, if you treat them with respect they may cut you a break.

Some problems that Farangs have are all down to the fact that farangs think they are so superior to Thais, including Thai Authority, with that attitude, it's no wonder some Farangs have problems.

If you break laws, expect to get busted, no matter what country you are in, if you are nice to the guy that busts you, you may  have a chance of walking away, if you have a typical farang, ( I am superior to Thai ) attitude and treat the Police bad, you're nicked, same goes for every country.

By the way, you deserved to be fined 2000 baht for littering, it's the law.

Police is same in Thailand and everywhere: Are you serious? What a joke.

I think you have missed the point of topic completely.

And I paid nothing to this thief. If there's a law that cannot be implemented, there's a problem. The guy was just looking for some extra money. He was treating me bad, he wouldn't even sign me a ticket. He was all buffalocrap man.

For example, if this would be a real law, like murder is illegal right. And there are lot of people breaking this law all the time, smoking and littering follows. Wouldn't it be kinda small propability to accuse farang of this crime? There's lots of locals around, right. If you need more proof you can go see whats going on near central world plaza, or many locations on sukhumvit. And you will find out, that the law doesnt apply to everybody.

I think you should get down from the superiority and stop the generalisations

Well, someone has to have the bad luck too, Sonny. :o

You don't have to invite it. There was a bloody trash can he put the receipt and his bottle top in it. C'mon

There's enough rubbish around as it is

Like some one said Reduce,reuse recycle.

It's just lazy mate and common sense prevails here's a cop waiting and you throw your butt on the ground.

Sorry no bad luck pure stupidity.

Punishment instead of a fine go and do community service picking up litter works well in other countries.

Sorry the rubbish problem in Thailand really irks me and I apologise for heated comments but we should or could set an example.

Thank you for my 2 cents worth again

MP5 Out Final on this topic

OP,

Get real, you threw your butt on the ground. There was a trash can nearby. You're a litterbug. $2000 in NZ, about 500Quid in the UK.

How many signs are there that say don't litter? Throw your butts in your own lounge room. Another sob story [snip. /meadish].

MP5 Out

Please try to read the original text again. Kinda missing the point here.

And there are no signs to prohibit littering where I live. Come on man, it's a thai neighborhood. Have you ever seen one? I would be more concearned about fire hazards than hazards of smoking, both leathal but the otherone way faster.

I dont live in a 50,000 baht per month condo.

You have no business to start to insult me. What do you have against me anyway?

If you want to talk about lifestyles, open a new topic. I can join if I wish.

OP,

MP5 Out

Please try to read the original text again. Kinda missing the point here.

And there are no signs to prohibit littering where I live. Come on man, it's a thai neighborhood. Have you ever seen one? I would be more concearned about fire hazards than hazards of smoking, both leathal but the otherone way faster.

I dont live in a 50,000 baht per month condo.

You have no business to start to insult me. What do you have against me anyway?

If you want to talk about lifestyles, open a new topic. I can join if I wish.

You will note I apologised for the heated comments and I do so again.

I'm sorry if you thought you were insulted but littering is an offence and you got caught. Bad Luck.

Have nice weekend

Don't take it to heart you got caught so what. It could have been worse

MP5 and this is my final comment on this subject. I have no intention of insulting any one!

I don't know whats wrong with you guys. Maybe I just explained things in a difficult way. Every thai I told about this thing thinks it's a sure robbery, it's not a real law anyway. Only on certain areas where the are signs. The policeman wouldn't write me a fine, he wouldn't present his ID to proof he's a police officer, he didn't want to go to the station to clear it out, also he didn't have any authority. Last time I demanded him to give me a ticket he refused, so I just rip my passport of his hand and left. He already wasted 20 minutes of my time. And I could see on his face, he lost. He had no case. Last thing he said,, are you really a student?

I don't know whats wrong with you guys. Maybe I just explained things in a difficult way. Every thai I told about this thing thinks it's a sure robbery, it's not a real law anyway. Only on certain areas where the are signs. The policeman wouldn't write me a fine, he wouldn't present his ID to proof he's a police officer, he didn't want to go to the station to clear it out, also he didn't have any authority. Last time I demanded him to give me a ticket he refused, so I just rip my passport of his hand and left. He already wasted 20 minutes of my time. And I could see on his face, he lost. He had no case. Last thing he said,, are you really a student?

OK You got me.

One last time 1155 The tourist police let them act for you!

fire-service

Have a look how the electric wires are installed and connected for example, how the access road is blocked all the time. There are no backdoors! If there is fire-alarm you are caught in a trap. (Soi Cowboy is different, somehow.)

smoking ban

A nationwide smoking ban, spearheaded by the Public Health Ministry and taking effect in November 2002, will cover all air-conditioned restaurants and most public places (but not pubs and other entertainment places).

The ban covers public buses, school buses, taxis, air-conditioned passenger trains, public boats, domestic air routes, air-conditioned bus terminals, elevators, public phone booths, public theatres, libraries, air-conditioned beauty salons, drug stores, internet cafes, department stores, fitness centers, medical clinics, religious places, public toilets and public piers.

Smoking in restricted areas carries a fine of 2,000 baht for every offence.

thetsakit - municipal inspectors

are to be a major force in the city's attempt to make the capital a more livable place.

tickets

City hall will also reintroduce fines for public littering.

Littering or spitting in public places: 2,000 Baht is the fine.

Not only in the area of Soi 10, Sukhumvit, you may encounter authorities who present cigarette stubs that you dropped 'apparently'.

Do not start an argument just be prepared to present your empty purse in return

(fines are negotiable, it is said.)

Do not sign any paper you cannot read!

police

There is a situation you must follow the orders of a police-officer immediately without asking the reason why: Whenever police is blocking normal traffic on Sukhumvit. Then you can be sure that there will pass an official convoy.

Do not remain standing on a flyover, or the police-officer will guide you by force of arms: Your feet are higher located, above the heads of the VIP's. This is an severe insult for the passengers in the convoy!

Carry your passport or valid ID for legal spot-checks by the police-officers.

It is said: if they catch you without an ID they will take you to satanee tam ruat (police station) and will not let you go, until you present your passport. Hopefully you have a friend to help you out of the 'trap'.

Particularly in the Sukhumvit area you may encounter plainclothes policemen. Randomly they ask farang to show ID card, passport or work permit. Better you can present the papers immediately.

I laminated and shrunk a copy of the documents and wear them around my neck and have my ID card

Be careful, sometimes you will encounter conmen!

If you need official help better call tourist-police 1155. At least they speak English.

tickets

If you want to cross Sukhumvit Road use the crosswalks or the flyovers.

Jaywalkers will be fined 200 Baht .

Edited by MP5

I'm not getting involved in this one... walls have ears..!

totster 

Very wise, I'll do the same, although it is very hard.
If you want to cross Sukhumvit Road use the crosswalks or the flyovers.

Jaywalkers will be fined 200 Baht .

Reminds me of the time a few years ago when I drunkenly climbed over the wires in the middle of Sukh. I was protesting my innicence for a while when I realised I had black, oily grease all over my jeans from the wires. Had to pay :o

Whats the big deal about getting involved because you know Thai Policemen.?

Surely you do not give them your TV Nicks do you?

I will however make exceptions for those that use their real names. I am sure that the Moderators won't give the Police your personal details, but all they have is your e-mail account anyway.

Lighten Up Guys

Cheers

TP