Can't Find The Thai Word For "defrock"

NaiGreg

I've looked online and in several dictionaries and can't find the Thai word for "defrock" as in "the abbot defrocked the monk for misconduct"

I would imagine their must be several words/idioms for this; "remove the robes" ??

-NG

My online translator came up with this

ปาราชิก

I checked by translating English to Thai, then the result in Thai back to English.

Not sure if used in the context you want it to be.

จับสึก (jap seuk). Definitely negative in inference. To be forced to disrobe.

Bingo! 260,000 hits on Google and lots of lurid monk tales.

Thanks!

Well that is because we all know that the Thai Sangha was founded by a group of English vicars cast a sail for misdeeds centuries ago.

Many years ago in my village the local monk disrobed himself, in the presence of a local lass, and was literally chased down the road by the locals.

สึก is the word for the disrobing of a Buddhist monk, but it is used for both voluntary and involuntary disrobing and doesn't have the negative connotation of disrobing (at least I don't think it does)

You're right, it doesn't have a negative connotation-therefore the word can be used for voluntary disrobing.

สึก is the word for the disrobing of a Buddhist monk, but it is used for both voluntary and involuntary disrobing and doesn't have the negative connotation of disrobing (at least I don't think it does)

You're right, it doesn't have a negative connotation-therefore the word can be used for voluntary disrobing.

Just want to add on to that.

voluntary disrobing is ลาสึก or more formal ลาสิกขา

involuntary disrobing, as above posts said, จับสึก

If a monk breaks the Buddhist rules they say ต้องอาบัติ. There are many types of อาบัติ. If the rule he break is a serious one, it might result in losing the robe forever then it is classified under ปาราชิก or more fully ต้องอาบัติปาราชิก. They say it is comparable to capital punishment. I think ปาราชิก means "lose" as in losing a battle. Another similar word is ปราชัย means lose.