Short Changed By True Visions

Max4243

World Cup foorball is a big international sports event. I am looking forward to this exciting sports event, but to my disappointment, I understand that True Visions will not be broadcasting this event matches in dual language option. All their present sports channel are having this option of dual language (Thai/English) and I see no good reason for True Vision not providing this service for this world cup.

The only reason I can think of is that they are not willing to spend a bit more to provide this dual language service. I understand that True Visions took the easier and cheaper way out by signing a contract with the local TV pool and obviously the local TV pool broadcast in Thai, which is ok and acceptable, being a Thai local TV stations. True Visions is charging subscribers pretty high rates(Gold subscription more than 1,500 baht per month), as compared to industry standard. Those willing to pay high subscription would not mind, but when come to big internatioal sports event like World Cup, True visions really short changed subscribers. They do not even bother to publish their intention. I only found out yesterday.

Any members in this forum have any ideas and options as to how to get the football matches commentary in English. Mabybe through the internet? If so, how to go about doing this? No video is ok, but sound commentary is important.

Thanks guys and look forward to your assistance.

Sorry but this is Thailand, and the native language is Thai, why have it in English?

Seriously though, it is a shame as there is more enthusiasm from the commentators in English, the Thais

commentate and I can just fall asleep.

Try P2P sites, I will not bother live, will download the games I want to watch using torrents.

I agree.

40 million Thai fans wanting to listen to Thai commentary and a few thousand expats who want it in English.

The cost for buying English commentary is no doubt millions of Baht extra, so you do the math.

Best response on the topic by far.

This is 50% of the reason. The other 50% is that True has no competition. If there were a competing HD broadcast in HD, you bet they'd scramble some English commentary. Then again - I don't really care about English commentary all that much. I sometimes even switch to Thai on the EPL matches because the commentators are so dreadful. They very rarely add anything to the match.

I agree.

40 million Thai fans wanting to listen to Thai commentary and a few thousand expats who want it in English.

The cost for buying English commentary is no doubt millions of Baht extra, so you do the math.

Don't get me wrong guys.I agree sure that this is Thailand and more than 40 millions Thai might be watching as compared to a few thousand expats, but I am not asking the local TV stations to do the dual sound or broadcast in English language. i am asking True Vision for the dual sound option. True Visions is charging subscribtions and also they provide dual sound for most of their channels/programs currently. Why not for this world cup broadcast?

Cheers :)

Since they are broadcasting it live, then why not listen to the radio coverage. I have an issue with the Tennis on HD, that sometimes there is no sound at all.

Great suggestion, but which radio station broadcast live in English language? Please let me know station number. Thanks.

Don't get me wrong guys.I agree sure that this is Thailand and more than 40 millions Thai might be watching as compared to a few thousand expats, but I am not asking the local TV stations to do the dual sound or broadcast in English language. i am asking True Vision for the dual sound option. True Visions is charging subscribtions and also they provide dual sound for most of their channels/programs currently. Why not for this world cup broadcast?

Cheers :)

I don't believe that TrueVisions have a choice in the matter. A company called RS has bought the broadcasting rights for the World Cup in Thailand. They chose, for whatever reason (probably cost), not to buy the English soundtrack.

TrueVisions and the Thai TV companies have to buy the right to show the matches from RS so they can't broadcast the English commentary if they can't get it.

TrueVisions and the Thai TV companies could, if they wished, broadcast just the crowd noise on the dual sound channel, but they usually decide that everyone must either hear the Thai commentary or mute the sound.

Since they are broadcasting it live, then why not listen to the radio coverage. I have an issue with the Tennis on HD, that sometimes there is no sound at all.

Great suggestion, but which radio station broadcast live in English language? Please let me know station number. Thanks.

the audio from radio will not sync with the TV broadcast, i'm willing to bet money on it.

Thinking about it, one of the terrestrial channels used to show films dubbed into Thai,

but the English was available on a radio channel...........

Mind you that was 20+ years ago.

The national FM radio channels will differ in frequency depending on where you live,

so you will have tune around and see what is available.

I agree that anyone paying extra for HD expects that the price would include the English soundtrack. Imagine watching a movie in HD and no soundtrack.

It's money again of course. When all the se Thai companies started the relied on the expats, then when they became more estabished, stuff you. I know, I worked for thai Sky years ago as a commentator

Sorry but this is Thailand, and the native language is Thai, why have it in English?

Seriously though, it is a shame as there is more enthusiasm from the commentators in English, the Thais

commentate and I can just fall asleep.

Try P2P sites, I will not bother live, will download the games I want to watch using torrents.

:whistling:According to the messages at the bottom of the screen lasst night,It was a FIFA ruling that no English soundtrack was broadcast to 'avoid illegal pirating"...

Question:

Is ESPN in Thailand broadcasting the Games Live and in English?

I am in India right now and here we enjoy ESPN Live Broadcast for all Games and in English.

How about ESPN on True?

Edited by Lammbock

TrueVisions explains lack of English commentary (from The Nation)

In response to Graham Doven's letter of June 9 regarding the lack of English commentary for the upcoming World Cup, TrueVisions would like to outline reasons for this situation. Unfortunately, TrueVisions is not able to provide an English-language commentary because, as the purchaser of the coverage from the local license holder, RS International Broadcasting and Sports Co Ltd, such service is not on offer.

In the past, TrueVisions had never broadcast the World Cup, as it has always been carried on free TV. However, as we have just launched our high definition service, TrueVisions believes it is good timing to be the sub-broadcasting licensee for the HD signal. Football fans can always watch the tournament on free TV but we wish to provide a crystal clear HD signal to our subscribers.

It is not a matter of TrueVisions paying extra for English commentary, but because that service is not available for us to purchase from the licence holder. TrueVisions' is only the sub-broadcasting licensee for the high definition signal.

This is not the fault of RS International Broadcasting but is due to restrictions by the original provider of the World Cup, Fifa, which is not allowing English commentary in Thailand due to the high broadcast piracy problem among neighbouring countries.

However, suggestions will be considered for the improvement of our service in the future.

Chulathai Saligupta

Senior Manager: Sports Programming TrueVisions

This is not the fault of RS International Broadcasting but is due to restrictions by the original provider of the World Cup, Fifa, which is not allowing English commentary in Thailand due to the high broadcast piracy problem among neighbouring countries.

sad.gifsad.gifsad.gifsad.gifsad.gifsad.gif