Mouse Problems

Welshman

I've developed a problem over the past week with my mouse.

I'm running on XP and have a radio mouse (A4 Tech). Been no problem for the past 18 months or so but not, more often than now, when I single click on something it takes it as a double click.

This plays havoc with, say, surfing the web when you click on the back button once but it does it twice. Also when using applications like Photoshop, the whole thing goes mad because everything I click on it takes as a double click.

I've tried uninstalling the mouse drivers and reinstalling them but to no avail.

Any ideas out there ?

:o

Edited by Welshman

the best thing to do would be one of the following....

1) borrow a mouse from a friend...try it on your pc....

2) try out your mouse at a friends place or a cyber cafe...

you could atleast determine which one is at fault your mouse or your computer....perhaps some settings got screwed up....

is it that all the time when u single click it takes it as a double click or only sometimes it single clicks some times double clicks? if its the later then u need to replace yr mouse as theres sum mechanical fault...

18 months is a prety nice time for a replacement....

Sounds a lot like a mechanical failure, and 18 months is about the average time it takes for these cheap mice to fail. It's probably something in the circuitry or the microswitch. If it's the microswitch and you have steady hands, you can replace it by soldering in a new one.

Welshman - Check your folder options to make sure the "Click Items as Follows" is set to double click, not single click.

folder.jpg

More details here.

cheers :D

hi'

and if what wadwolf said doesn't work for you because you like the single click(E'sF), you can still lower down the speed of the double-click at the minimum ...

I had the problem with 2 logitech mouse, and always solve it like this :o

BTW, did you know that almost "all" wheel and/or optical mouse are recognized by widows and except if the mouse has special functions don't need driver, and the cause is often the driver itself ... like the "ifeel" from logitech, if you don't use any ifeel function, don't install any driver, it is simply useless and sometimes lead to eratic mouse behavior :D

francois

Many thanks all and will try your suggestions when I get home (couldn't access the forum yesterday as it was down for some reason) and accessing this at work.

If all else fails, will do as you suggest - shoot the mouse and replace.

Thanks again

:o

If you want a reliable mouse, I suggest getting an MS or logitech mouse. I've got several that have lasted more years than I care to count. As for the el-cheapo mice (including A4tech mice), I usually see them die an untimely death after about a year of so-so performance. I have a ton of cheap dead mice lying around.

You can get cheaper MS/logitech mice for around 500-700 baht. They're a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for: reliability and good performance. However, avoid the MS "basic" optical mouse, it's got tracking problems (which can be fixed, but it's better to not have to fix it).

Since your problem extends to things that don't require a double-click, like the back button, I doubt that turning off single-click or changing the speed of double clicking will solve the problem. My guess is still on a circuitry/microswitch or program problem. If you change the mouse and the problem goes away, it's with the mouse. If not, the problem lies within your system. Wireless mouse also have their own unique problems. Make sure you have fresh batteries, and that your receiver is located close to your mouse. Try changing the frequency (if you can) to avoice interference problems.

I agree that Logitech mice are the most reliable. I've always used them, and never had one crap out on me. There's an OEM optical one that is only 350 baht now. You can download the latest MouseWare from Logitech on their website which gives you more mouse options than Windows does.

Edited by melus