Favorite chiang mai night spots

genjoet

I reckon 61's got shabby. The carpet is filthy and it takes them an age to clear the tables. Sitting outside is quite pleasant though.

Monkey Club, is always packed, yes. However, what the ###### is going on with the music? Used to be bands pretty much all night, but now they seems to favour the looped tape deal.

The new Warm Up on Nimmanheiman is carcking, although my Thai friends reckon that it is now PACKED with farang trying to pick up chicks and many have stopped going.

I've been there maybe 4 times in the last month and i'm the only foreniger in there.....they have their info wrong.

People actual like Bubble? I went there once, that's one of the worst clubs i've ever been to.

How far did you have to dig to respond to a post that's 6 years old? :)

Edited by gotlost

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon 61's got shabby. The carpet is filthy and it takes them an age to clear the tables. Sitting outside is quite pleasant though.

Monkey Club, is always packed, yes. However, what the ###### is going on with the music? Used to be bands pretty much all night, but now they seems to favour the looped tape deal.

The new Warm Up on Nimmanheiman is carcking, although my Thai friends reckon that it is now PACKED with farang trying to pick up chicks and many have stopped going.

I've been there maybe 4 times in the last month and i'm the only foreniger in there.....they have their info wrong.

People actual like Bubble? I went there once, that's one of the worst clubs i've ever been to.

How far did you have to dig to respond to a post that's 6 years old? :)

things move pretty slow in CM :D

How far did you have to dig to respond to a post that's 6 years old? :D

things move pretty slow in CM :D

Or pretty wet if you have been out all night and day. :)

For wine, women and song, Chiang Mai is extremely limited. Used to be fun 10 or so years, but that`s all changed.

If your looking for some short term female company, it`s either the bar scene or the soapy massage places.

In the bars you have to go through the bar rituals, that includes buying drinks, bar fines etc.

Than we have the soapy massage places. These are in no shape or form comparable with the soapy massages in Bangkok or Pattaya and can be a rip-off for the naive first timers.

A night out, that’s eating in a restaurant, some drinks, trying the bar scene or having a soapy massage, can cost you up to 5000 baht in Chiang Mai.

And as I said, night entertainments here are extremely limited and probably more expensive than in Bangkok and other Thai tourist destinations.

Other types of adult entertainment venues in Chiang Mai no longer exist and were levelled years ago.

As for Chiang Rai, if you fancy a quite relaxing few days away, a bit of trekking, mountain views and take in a few temples, than Chiang Rai is the place for you. Wine, women and song in that area are practically non-existent.

If you prefer the night scene, drinks, laughs with a little debauchery thrown in, than go south young man.

For wine, women and song, Chiang Mai is extremely limited. Used to be fun 10 or so years, but that`s all changed.

No it hasn't. You were just fresher to the whole scene back then. Objectively, it's expanded in every way both in size and alternative options, and new arrivals are enjoying themselves just as much as you did, then.

Need I mention IanForbes again? He's doing what you did, presumably, 10 years ago, and enjoying it every bit as much as you did. I hope one thing though, that IF he gets jaded in 10 years I hope I'm not having this discussion with him, too.

In the bars you have to go through the bar rituals, that includes buying drinks, bar fines etc.

Which.. was... radically different 10 years ago, when smiling, selfless GoodThaiGirls bought you drinks and chipped in a couple baht for the privilege to explore your magnificent hotel room? :)

Than we have the soapy massage places. These are in no shape or form comparable with the soapy massages in Bangkok or Pattaya and can be a rip-off for the naive first timers.

Completely unheard of 10 years ago, or? :D A friend of mine got ripped off in a Bangkok parlour in 1976. His friends were telling him things were so much better 10 years before that. :D

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

No it hasn't. You were just fresher to the whole scene back then. Objectively, it's expanded in every way both in size and alternative options, and new arrivals are enjoying themselves just as much as you did, then.

Need I mention IanForbes again? He's doing what you did, presumably, 10 years ago, and enjoying it every bit as much as you did. I hope one thing though, that IF he gets jaded in 10 years I hope I'm not having this discussion with him, too.

Which.. was... radically different 10 years ago, when smiling, selfless GoodThaiGirls bought you drinks and chipped in a couple baht for the privilege to explore your magnificent hotel room? :)

Completely unheard of 10 years ago, or? :D A friend of mine got ripped off in a Bangkok parlour in 1976. His friends were telling him things were so much better 10 years before that. :D

Oh, yes it has!

As I said, it`s either the bar scene or soapy massage. What you quote is exactly what I have been saying.

Some folks may be enjoying themselves the same as ten years ago, but I bet it`s costing them a lot more for a lot less.

If you know better for adult entertainment scene other than the expensive bars and massages, please enlighten us?

Edited by BigWheelMan

Well it's much easier to meet regular Thai people these days. Thanks to all the social networking sites. Combine that with the absolute booming of nightlife (Nimmanhaemin aerea, Santitham, near Kham Thiang and elsewhere) and it becomes very hard NOT to have a party. :)

Completely unheard of 10 years ago, or? :) A friend of mine got ripped off in a Bangkok parlour in 1976. His friends were telling him things were so much better 10 years before that. :D

That makes complete sense. 10 years from now, these days will be the "good old days" for a lot of people too.

A night out, that's eating in a restaurant, some drinks, trying the bar scene or having a soapy massage, can cost you up to 5000 baht in Chiang Mai.

wow.....you must be having some epic nights. Even if for some reason i had to pay for a girl it would never cost me that much. i don't think i've ever spent more than 1000 baht on a night out.

A night out, that's eating in a restaurant, some drinks, trying the bar scene or having a soapy massage, can cost you up to 5000 baht in Chiang Mai.

wow.....you must be having some epic nights. Even if for some reason i had to pay for a girl it would never cost me that much. i don't think i've ever spent more than 1000 baht on a night out.

Overheard the girls talk about you. :)

Agree that 5000 baht in CNX sounds like a big night out, but 1000 baht would only be a little more than 5 pints or half-litres of imported brew. The latter wouldn't be a big night out.

Agree that 5000 baht in CNX sounds like a big night out, but 1000 baht would only be a little more than 5 pints or half-litres of imported brew. The latter wouldn't be a big night out.

Don't drink imported brew - this is Thailand. Leo is perfectly acceptable and at, say, 70 baht for 330ml bottle (40 Baht in Pattaya, 45 Baht in Prakhon Chai !) 12 bottles and a tasty kwitio or pad krapaw with still see you get change out of that 1,000 Baht note.

Don't drink imported brew - this is Thailand. Leo is perfectly acceptable and at, say, 70 baht for 330ml bottle (40 Baht in Pattaya, 45 Baht in Prakhon Chai !) 12 bottles and a tasty kwitio or pad krapaw with still see you get change out of that 1,000 Baht note.

one of the better spots in chiang mai to be at tonight might just as well be at home! and stay home!

Let me get this right....go outside for a few ales and risk a quick and violent death, or, stay and home and argue with wifey who wants to watch Thai soapies at 9.00pm in which case I could still meet a quick and violent death, or end up watching the soaps for a slow and miserable death.

Guess I will tempt fate once more and go the wrong way across the Iron Bridge...Loi Kroh here I come ( I will wear a helmet and my non confrontational dead head t shirt) :)

I didn't say that you have to drink imported brew. Of course doing that is not the cheapest way out. But if you really want to save a baht or two forget about the Leo, instead just buy a tube of airplane glue and sniff it out of a paper bag.

Not everyone is on a backpacker's budget - sometimes people spend more than the absolute minimum necessary and have not regrets about having done so. Personally I don't see anything wrong with that.

Edited by OriginalPoster

i was out the other night with 4 people finished 2 bottles of vodka (imported) with mix and food and i only spent around 500 to 600 baht and that's at warm up...which isn't exactly a cheap spot. I don't even know how i would spend 5000 in a night....maybe if i was planning on waking up the next day passed out in the middle of tapae gate.

but yeah..there's really no reason to drink overpriced alcohol...i can do that back in canada where 5000 baht just gets the night started.

i was out the other night with 4 people finished 2 bottles of vodka (imported) with mix and food and i only spent around 500 to 600 baht and that's at warm up...which isn't exactly a cheap spot. I don't even know how i would spend 5000 in a night....maybe if i was planning on waking up the next day passed out in the middle of tapae gate.

but yeah..there's really no reason to drink overpriced alcohol...i can do that back in canada where 5000 baht just gets the night started.

I hear of that type of thing all the time -- a night out drinking for 4 people for only 500 baht; good apartments at only 5000 baht per month, meals for 30 baht each, etc. I don't doubt that some people manage to do that, but it doesn't seem to work for me.

Ok, great.

If you can get me a night out, that`s with the drinks, restaurant and lady thrown in all for 1000 baht inclusive in Chiang Mai, I will pay for you as well. Because All that for the price of 1000 baht sounds like a bargain to me.

Edited by BigWheelMan

Ok, great.

If you can get me a night out, that`s with the drinks, restaurant and lady thrown in all for 1000 baht inclusive in Chiang Mai, I will pay for you as well. Because All that for the price of 1000 baht sounds like a bargain to me.

THe only place you can get that kind of deal is out side of town and in the country. Inside of town not a chance. Like I said the girls have a name for these kind of people. :)

Ok, great.

A few bottles of Chang from 7/11, Thai food at Daret's and walk across the street to Thapae Gate and start mingling. It can be done. :)

Ok, great.

A few bottles of Chang from 7/11, Thai food at Daret's and walk across the street to Thapae Gate and start mingling. It can be done. :)

Yes, it can be done. You can even go considerably more upscale than the places you mentioned and still meet the 1000 baht target. For instance, 4 Erdinger Darks and a burrito that will put some meat on your bones from Pinky's will be under 1000 baht. However it's also easy to spend a lot more money that that without being extraordinarily extravagant.

Sure, you can save a lot of money by instead buying street food spending your nights reciting poetry & eating vegan cheese with would-be beatnik backpackers, but settings like that are IMO a shade short of being good night spots.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Instead of moaning about the good ol' days when you could have an evening out with a lady of the night or a soapy for under 5k baht can we get a few positive recommendations of real bars normal people frequent in 2010?

Blah Blah Bar off Nimman looks pretty cool (or maybe I just love the name). Has anybody been?

Instead of moaning about the good ol' days when you could have an evening out with a lady of the night or a soapy for under 5k baht can we get a few positive recommendations of real bars normal people frequent in 2010?

Blah Blah Bar off Nimman looks pretty cool (or maybe I just love the name). Has anybody been?

I think that the consensus is that 5K baht is a very high budget for what you are looking for and for most other forms of nighttime entertainment in Chiang Mai. To be more specific about that would almost definitely be a violations of the forum's rules.

Edited by OriginalPoster

<font color='#000000'>Rinrada,

The description of "Farang Pub" does list "naughty bars" and I didn't go into the juicy details. :D </font>

hey i liked picking up birds at the BUBBLES nightclub in CM - near pornping hotel if i remember it right

enjoy ! :)

now Bubble is closed... left the "Hot shot" in the corner of Pornping hotel...

I think that the consensus is that 5K baht is a very high budget for what you are looking for and for most other forms of nighttime entertainment in Chiang Mai. To be more specific about that would almost definitely be a violations of the forum's rules.

can we switch the discussion of this thread from favorite chiang mai night spots that if you get into specifics are in violation of the forums rules to favorite chiang mai night spots whose discussion does not violate tv forum rules then?

can we switch the discussion of this thread from favorite chiang mai night spots that if you get into specifics are in violation of the forums rules to favorite chiang mai night spots whose discussion does not violate tv forum rules then?

My favorite spots are:

-Say Hi #3 - Near JJ market. Large open air place with a roof. Pretty good Thai bands playing 99% Thai music with an occasional cover of an American song thrown in. Good food, cheap prices, and great staff. Heads up tho, most of the staff speak almost no English. (This is in no way a knock on the place or staff, just letting people know so they are prepared!)

-Time Bar - Santitam area. Use to be a small shop with decent prices and good food. The've relocated across the street. Quite large place now. Open air, mostly uncovered. Great friendly staff. Again, not much English spoken here. No band, just DJ playing Thai music.

-Interbar - This place is ok. Bands are pretty decent. Playing all American cover songs. No Thai music at all. Targeted towards tourists, but locals (both Thai and Farang frequent the place as well). Drinks are bit more expensive than you would find at primarily Thai places such as the 2 above. Example 1 Large Chang beer here is 105 THB, whereas at the Thai places you will often find promotions of *3* large Changs for 100-120 THB.

-Cafe Del Sol - Love, love, LOVE this place. Located in Boon Yoo market area. Also known as Reggae corner. Really relaxed and fun place. Music is 99% English with an occasional Thai song played towards the end of the night. Music varies from hip-hop to rock to reggae to pop. Something for everyone. Usually a crowd of people late night dancing and letting loose till the early hours of the morning. Drinks are cheaper than most tourist oriented places. Staff is absolutely wonderful. Cafe Del Sol has a well earned large following in the 20-40'something year old local expat crowd.

Places I also sometimes visit that are good, but not my favorites:

- Several bars in the same area as Cafe Del Sol. Zoe In Yellow, Heaven's Beach. Zoe has friendly staff, several guest DJ's and a large dance floor. Like Cafe Del Sol, this place usually stays rocking till the wee hours of the morning. Heavens Beach has a pretty good band. Worth checking out if you are in the area. Doesn't stay open very late. The crowd from Heavens Beach usually migrates to Del Sol and Zoe once they close. People usually bounce back and forth between these two bars all night long. On busy nights there will usually also be a large crowd outside on the Soi between them.

- 51 Club - Somewhere in the area behind Jet Yod. Good Thai band playing thai songs. Cheap prices, good food, and friendly staff. A little bit on the small side. Hard to get table if you dont come early.

Places I been meaning to check out, but haven't yet:

- Roots, Rock, and Reggae. In the same area as Cafe Del Sol/ Zoe in Yellow.

- Babylon Club. In the same area as Cafe Del Sol/ Zoe in Yellow.

- Oxide Pub. This place used to be located back behind Carefour and was pretty decent. It has since relocated to Santitam area. Almost directly across the street from the Time Bar mentioned above. Last time I drove past, it seemed *extremely* popular with the local Thais. Had a band playing, etc. Pretty large outdoor'ish place. Appeared to have alot of potential and worth checking out.

Places I am boycotting:

- Jackie Van - Outdoor late night van next to Spicy. Staff is extremely unfriendly. Several problems reported here on Thaivisa with short changing, etc. Heard many several similar stories from the local expat crowd, including a long time expat woman who told me of being punched by the male staff here. Visit here at your own risk.

- Mandalay - Tried several times to visit this place. Always try to charge me the 300 THB to enter. The times I have tried to go, I was with all my Thai coworkers. All IT professionals, well dressed in business causal attire. They have made it clear to the doorman that we will all leave if I am charged to enter. Doesn't seem to matter. 3 tries. 3 strikes. Manadalay is out :)

- Fabrique - Been here a couple times, again with Thai colleagues. I am aware of previous reports on Thaivisa of Fabrique charging foreigners to enter, but I've never once been asked to pay. Place is extremely packed. Music is not my type. Parking is very difficult. Have had several instances of Thai guys shoving me a bit to hard to pass by thru the packed crowd and a few too many drinks spilled on my feet. Overall not a bad place, but just somewhere I dont really want to be.

Hope this is enough to get back the thread back on track. Looking forward to hearing other's favorite spots.

-Mestizo

I hear of that type of thing all the time -- a night out drinking for 4 people for only 500 baht; good apartments at only 5000 baht per month, meals for 30 baht each, etc. I don't doubt that some people manage to do that, but it doesn't seem to work for me.

Hotshots at the Pornping hotel ......... Benmore whiskey set, 4 mixers. ice bucket 480bht, extra mixers 40bht

Live band and singers/dancers every night.

That's enough for 4 people in an evening (240bht each .... assuming the ladies don't contribute)