The Tax Man Cometh

ray23

I'm leaving the Bangkok Bank yesterday on the bike in the rain, a Thai guy on a small bike pulls up next to me tells me in Thai to stop. No I don't think so just kept riding, matter fact sped up just a bit. I hear Poi say to him in Thai post office, which is where we are going.

I ask Poi who is he she says he says he is the tax man, no I definetley don't stop for tax men. His only thing that looked like a uniform was a blue jacket with some sort silk screening on it.

So follows me into the post office, I was going there anyway and by this time we were both soaked, seemed fair to me. So since I know what this about I to pull out the copies of my book. At which time he informs me that I have to carrying the original. I told him plat out I'm not doing that someone might steal it.

He again explains to me that he is the tax man, shows me no ID whatsoever. My response mai Pben Lai mee nongsur. with that he shakes my hand and leaves.

So I have to say the reports of them being active in Udon is real.

I didn't stop for him will I if it happens again. There have been many incidents here in Udon of Thai saying they were cops when they weren't scamming farrangs.

Maybe the best approach is if your bike is legal just drive to the Police Station. See what they got to say then. I wasn't there but Lucky who owns a Gold Wing and paid the blood money already was blocked in by two cars one in front one in back. They keep this up and somebody is going to get hurt.

Me if that were to happen I would assume that it was group up to no good and act appropriately.

I don't believe it's necessary to carry the original green book. When I bought my Vigo I financed it and didn't receive green book until fully paid, only ever had a copy to show police, tax vehicle etc....

There is no way I will carry the green book on the bike it's to valuable. I treat my passport the same way.

Two things Ray, firstly I agree whole heartedly about the green book. It stays at home, I have photocopies for production. The original can be produced later, if required. I am yet to have a problem with this.

Secondly, There is absolutely NO WAY I would be discussing or producing anything to this individual. I'm certainly not showing any documentation that may indicate where I live to some ghoon on a bike claiming to work for the tax department.

On numerous times in LOS I have been approached and spoken to by people claiming to be this and that. I never participate in their conversations & have never been detained for not doing so. Thanks for the heads up.