Seedy Reality Behind Land Of Smiles

sharecropper

IN THE tourist brochures Thailand is all powder-sand beaches, swaying palm trees and beguiling temples. It's safe, cheap, offers wonderful food and has a deserved reputation for its friendly ­welcome. It's little wonder that almost one ­million Britons are enticed to the "Land of Smiles" every year.

Full Story UK Daily Express: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/179245...-Land-of-Smiles

05 June 2010

Edited by soundman
Fixed link

The writer should check his sources....I thought it had been proved on TV that US soldiers from Vietnam had very little to do with the establishment of Pattaya as a Disneyland for adults.

Other than that cant really argue with anything else which is being written

The writer should check his sources....I thought it had been proved on TV that US soldiers from Vietnam had very little to do with the establishment of Pattaya as a Disneyland for adults.

After all said, the Land is still Smiling...

No problem, ... just remember: 'THE SMILE CAN MEAN ANYTHING', except what we think.

Of all the different aspects that the tabloids could write about Thailand they invariably gravitate towards the one thing that sells newspaper copy, sex. Unfortunately most nontravelled UK residents will form their views of Thailand based on such articles and nearly every Thai female who visits the UK will be viewed as the sterotype, it's an appaling scenario.

Serves you right UK Plc for reading the Express. :)

All Brits know this quite well already. The purpose of the article was merely to remind them to start planning their next vacation. In fact, it was probably funded surreptitiously by the TAT.

All Brits know this quite well already. The purpose of the article was merely to remind them to start planning their next vacation. In fact, it was probably funded surreptitiously by the TAT.

:)

Sixpack are you a 'NoththeNation' staff writer?

EDIT: The prostitutes in the pic in the article seem to be of the 'other' variety.

Edited by Slip

It's the Express, that just about says it all.

But this makes me laugh:

Here, it is said, for what amounts to a handful of loose change in the West any man can become a sex god.

Of course the writer has no direct experience. :)

Nothing new, just a rerun of any one of a hundred previous articles on the same subject and to think he gets paid for writing this.

Accepting that in Thailand it is easy to get laid for money (and where's the journalistic shock horror revelation in that?) it was full of biased stereotypical rubbish, aimed at giving its lobotomised readers a tingle in their flanellette knickers no doubt.

Accepting that in Thailand it is easy to get laid for money (and where's the journalistic shock horror revelation in that?) it was full of biased stereotypical rubbish, aimed at giving its lobotomised readers a tingle in their flanellette knickers no doubt.

Although I agree that this article mostly contains rubbish, I think the background to this peice is more interesting. The Derrick referred to in the article is the lone gunman that went on the rampage in the UK last week and killed 12.

Both the police and the media are looking into the guys history and apparently he was a frequent visitor to Thailand and was on his way here most recently in February. It is alleged that some of his financial difficulties may have been due to his lavishing a lady of the night with gifts etc and that his money worries were a possible cause of the rampage.

Scary thought sitting in a beer-bar / go-go next to a serial killer :)

Londo

Scary thought sitting in a beer-bar / go-go next to a serial killer

I think you mean "potential" serial killer, as he wouldn't have been when you were theoretically sitting next to him in a beer bar.

However there are probably plenty of real life killers, foreigner and Thai (given the massive unsolved murder rate here) sitting next to you every day of the week here on baht buses, the beach and in bars.

And certainly thousands of "potential" ones. :)

QUOTE (Soutpeel @ 2010-06-06 07:59:51) The writer should check his sources....I thought it had been proved on TV that US soldiers from Vietnam had very little to do with the establishment of Pattaya as a Disneyland for adults.

After all said, the Land is still Smiling...

No problem, ... just remember: 'THE SMILE CAN MEAN ANYTHING', except what we think.

At least more people are smiling here, even if it's a "I kill you in a minute smile'. But the truth is that even Thais are unable to differentiate them.

Edited by sirchai

Males from around the world flock to Pattaya as the Thais usually do not have westernised sexual hang ups, do not discriminte on the basis of age, and are quite prepared to view sex as a business transaction where everyone can win. Go back to roman times where orgies and gay sex were considered perfectly normal and great fun was had by all; also the difference between sex and love was clearly understood.

It was only when certain organised religions came along that things changed.

The problem is not Pattaya but places like the UK. Rather than condemn the wonderful city of Pattaya, peoples from all parts of the world should learn how to make everyone happy in a sexually liberated society.