Water tanks

meyori

Most of the builds here in LOS is mainly made to order. They fit to what you have planned. The few companies that I have seen offering pre-made products seemed to be more expensive & why conform to their plans when you can have it your way anyway.

If there was some benefit(lower cost) I might think of adjusting to there plans. Thailand everyone has a different idea & they do not reward a standard size (that I am aware of)

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.

How about size of water tank. At our rental home now, we do not pay water, so we have no idea how much water we are using per month. What kind of size of water tank should we have ? It's house for two of us and may be very small pool later. Thank you again.

We use a 2000 liter sandstone water tank. As Transam mentioned you are best to plumb in the pool direct as it will have its own filtering system & wont require additional filtering as your house water probably will receive. The size of your tank is up to you. I think the lowest I would go is a 1000 liter tank for 2 people. It takes about a week to use 2000 liters at our place. Your consumption rate will be different I am sure. The price difference is not that great for a 2000 liter compared to a 1000 liter. Avoid the blue polycarbonate water tanks . They are junk. The sun will beat them to death & they offer little to no protection in UV.

2000L is really the minimum for a tank - if you do have to buy a pick up truck of water most deliver 2000L at a time unless you get a big truck which is around 5000L

Our average daily use for two people is between 300 and 500 liters. Depends if its a wash day or not. Suggest 2,000 liters as a minimum size. Should the city water stop for more than a day and you have laundry and a guest there you may be in a tight spot. With 1,000 liter there is very little wiggle room for the time when the city supply dies for a few days. The bigger tanks are not that much more cost and there are many sizes as for the height/width to fit you're needs.

Our average daily use for two people is between 300 and 500 liters. Depends if its a wash day or not. Suggest 2,000 liters as a minimum size. Should the city water stop for more than a day and you have laundry and a guest there you may be in a tight spot. With 1,000 liter there is very little wiggle room for the time when the city supply dies for a few days. The bigger tanks are not that much more cost and there are many sizes as for the height/width to fit you're needs.

Hello everyone and thanks for taking the time to respond to this post. I would like to clairify a few things that my wife did not include with her above question. We do not have city supplied water at our location and do not expect it if at all any time within the next 10 years. Didgging or drilling a well is out of the question at our hillside location up at 65 meters and our neighbours went down 60 meters of hard rock drilling and found nothing. Water delivery is relitivly cheep at this time but it is our retierment home and we are concerned about the long term delivery prices due to increased fuel for the trucks and the availiability of Phuket,s fresh water supply in the future. Our home will have a cistern system for trapping rainfall with our 15 x 15 meter flat roof with a 10 cm lip around the top with downpipes to the ground storage tanks. Trapped rainwater will be our only supply to support us with a small swimming pool, jacuzzie tub, normal laundry every second day (machine) showers and water saving toilets. How much minimum storage space do you think we will need to collect as much of the heavy rain fall as we can to maintin a safe supply? Thanks

Edited by meyori

"Trapped rainwater will be our only supply to support us with a small swimming pool, jacuzzie tub, normal laundry every second day (machine) showers and water saving toilets. How much minimum storage space do you think we will need to collect as much of the heavy rain fall as we can to maintin a safe supply?"

in this case AS BIG AS POSSIBLE! my advice: have an inground tank built by a pool builder.

Hello everyone and thanks for taking the time to respond to this post. I would like to clairify a few things that my wife did not include with her above question. We do not have city supplied water at our location and do not expect it if at all any time within the next 10 years. Didgging or drilling a well is out of the question at our hillside location up at 65 meters and our neighbours went down 60 meters of hard rock drilling and found nothing. Water delivery is relitivly cheep at this time but it is our retierment home and we are concerned about the long term delivery prices due to increased fuel for the trucks and the availiability of Phuket,s fresh water supply in the future. Our home will have a cistern system for trapping rainfall with our 15 x 15 meter flat roof with a 10 cm lip around the top with downpipes to the ground storage tanks. Trapped rainwater will be our only supply to support us with a small swimming pool, jacuzzie tub, normal laundry every second day (machine) showers and water saving toilets. How much minimum storage space do you think we will need to collect as much of the heavy rain fall as we can to maintin a safe supply? Thanks

0,5-1m3 a day, and 4 months without any rain, your tank should be 60-120m3, double size and have safe supply. build it as a swimmingpool in 280 waterproof concrete with dual layers 12 mm rebars at 10x10 and aquastop between horisontal and vertical. can be covered with concrete planks with why mesh 3"concrete

plastic tanks UV ok cost approx 3k baht/m3, and have a long lifetime if not exposed to sun/uv

I would probably spend another 60k on the 60 meter drill to achieve 120 meters. I am down in Kata Valley 10-15 meters above sea level and my drill is 80 meters deep.

Edited by katabeachbum

I have 28,000L of tanks for our well sourced water supply(60M deep) - but this is for a 2 Rai plot of land with about 1 & 1/4 rai of gardens and 7 bathrooms + 2 kitchens, swimming pool, pond and its only just enough in dry season when the well isn't 100% full/output and there's no rain water for the garden. next step is to introduce another 10-15,000L for rain water collection for garden watering only.

In your case go for as much storage as possible with options to upgrade in the future

• 4 weeks later...

Hi if anyone is interested have the following available...some in stock balance to order

Australian Made

Rhino Water Storage Tanks in kit form including liner....easy to transport....just over a pallet size in kit plus roof trusses 3m ++

All parts included except roofing sheets as easily bought here.....liner, sacrificial anode to prevent corrosion,inlet and outlet value

Sizes up to 260,000 litres

Currently in stock in Bangkok 95,000 litre kits

Full installation instructions and DVD available including site preparation

Quality Australian Product widley used in Agriculture and Country home

post-100716-078718500 1277729587_thumb.jpost-100716-052922300 1277729521_thumb.jpost-100716-083493800 1277729367_thumb.jpost-100716-065946800 1277729461_thumb.j

20 year warranty on tank and liner (subject to conditions)

certfied in Australia/NZ and USA for human drinking water

They are not cheap but are easy to get to site, easy to install and last many many years as can see from the warranty

For any further info please contact mePH59 Posts: 5 Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:42 pm

Edited by PH59

• 4 weeks later...

Having got our borehole producing what looks and smells like nice clean water (but yet to be tested) we're dealing with the tanks.

We've chosen to use the well digging guy for the whole installation and he's doing the pricing now. The plan, based on a friend's experience is two concrete tanks made from pre-cast rings 1m in diameter x 5 high giving a total of about 4000L or renting a mould and pouring a tank. I'm not sure of the tank capacity if he builds one but I don't want to go less than 4000L as it will service two buildings (five bedrooms in all) and about 1.5 rai of garden, in fact I wonder if this is really quite enough.

He's proposing:

Bore pump>aerator>tank 1 (with sand/carbon/manganese/quartz* filter built in)>tank 2>filter 2>pump 2>house (* I could be wrong about the filter materials or order)

The garden irrigation would be fed from tank 2 through a particulate filter to a 2" pump and then to sprinklers and drip lines via a four zone timer.

Tanks outside and all the electrical gear, pumps and expensive bits in a small hut for security.

Does this seem like a good solution? Any comments or suggestions welcome.

I live out in the country and get local water supply until the drought.

I have 20 concrete ongs of around 1,500 usable litres each arranged in 5 row of 4 all cross connected.

Normally there are me, my wife and son plus her mother and we normally use 4 ongs in about 10 to 14 days.

However this year the water supply was off for about 2 months and foolishly I was putting water in my fish pond before the tanks.

Also the water is off at Songkran when the family come up from BKK and we normally have about 12 all told for a couple of weeks and we ran out.

Imagine 12 people using toilets, showering twice a day and the laundry for them all.

This year I hope to put up 4 concrete ring tanks of 1.2 metres around and 4.5 metres high which should double my storage capacity.

That may seem a lot but 7 weeks with no water this year and next year is supposed to be hotter and drier.

It will be enough I hope.

Luckily I don't have a big family :rolleyes:

Popped in to Global House today to recheck the prices on ready made tanks - their top end range is 13,100 for a DOS 2000L "UV Resistant" tank. Next door I found a brand called Magma at 7000 for a 2000L tank and (for what it's worth) a 20 year warranty.

Anyone any experience with this brand?

There is a ratio between the roof area or rainwater harvesting area and the size of tanks. If the tank is too small then water is not captured and if the tank is too large then it will never fill to capacity and therefore wasted money spent on too larger tanks. Also the local rainfall needs to be taken into the calculation.

A good basic calculator can be found on this site , plus other good info. I have used these tanks ( Bushman Tanks ) on a couple of projects here in Oz .

http://www.bushmanta...lculators#tanks