Big Bike Tyres

OzMick

I need to replace rear rubber soon, need 140/70-17 or 130 would probably do. Any advice on good value deals around?

Best price locally B3000 for Goodyear, but seems PANG YER compared to what I pay for smaller bikes. Tyres made in Thailand would have to be cheaper???? :)

2,500-3,000b is about right for the tyre size you mentioned. What bike is it for?

You have to remember how the tax system is here in Thailand. just because the tyres are made here it doesnt mean they can actually sell them here with out paying import tax.

A lot of produce is made in export zones with special taxes applied.

Goodyear makes motorcycle tires? How'd I miss that?!

The most economical motorcycle tires in Thailand are IRC brand (but you do get what you pay for...)

Personally I'm a huge fan of Pirelli and also quite fond of the Bridgestone Battlax family of tires.

Ride On!

Tony

2,500-3,000b is about right for the tyre size you mentioned. What bike is it for?

You have to remember how the tax system is here in Thailand. just because the tyres are made here it doesnt mean they can actually sell them here with out paying import tax.

Bike is a '92 Katana 400, a GSXR400 engine in a retro style chassis made for the Jap market.

Must admit, hadn't thought about the export zone tax angle.

Goodyear makes motorcycle tires? How'd I miss that?!

The most economical motorcycle tires in Thailand are IRC brand (but you do get what you pay for...)

Personally I'm a huge fan of Pirelli and also quite fond of the Bridgestone Battlax family of tires.

Ride On!

Tony

Sorry, rush of blood to the brain or something - I meant Dunlop. Have contacted IRC but the biggest size they sell is a 130, waiting for a price quote from them and others.

Am tempted to try the Pirelli City Demon - may I ask if you've any experience with these?

Sorry no. when I bought this bike it came with new tyres F&R, looking at 1st replacement.

Yaborat off the traffic circle near the train station is where most tire stores are .

Thanks. I'm going to be looking for some shoes for my little cbr150 and didn't know where I'd be able to pick them up.

I have the Pirelli sport demon on the front of my bike. works well. Got it from showpow in bkk. decent prices and better grip than the dunlops i think.

Do you have two different tyre types on your bike? Pirelli front and *?* back? I've always been led to believe that was a BAD idea....how's it work for you?

Has anyone tried these IRC tires? Presumably made here, but not sure if available here or not?

RX-01.jpgR

IRC

RX-01

Sport bias tire with well balanced in abrasion resistance and grip

Combined narrow and wide grooves provide flexible tread surface for superior road holding on wet road traction

Its stronger casing construction provides better straight line stability.

Fronts:

Size

Style

Weight

Part #

Price

Buy!

100/80H17

BW

T03050050

$71.44

Buy!

110/70H17

BW

TIRC370

$71.44

Buy!

110/80H17

BW

TIRC371

$77.15

Buy!

120/70H17

BW

TIRC378

$81.95

Buy!

Rears:

Size

Style

Weight

Part #

Price

Buy!

120/80H17

BW

T321679

$82.51

Buy!

130/70H17

BW

TIRC372

$81.96

Buy!

130/70H18

BW

TIRC373

$78.80

Buy!

130/80H17

BW

TIRC374

$89.48

Buy!

140/70H17

BW

TIRC376

$89.48

Buy!

140/70H18

BW

TIRC375

$89.48

Buy!

150/70H17

BW

TIRC377

$105.86

Buy!

150/70H18

BW

TIRC379

$105.86

Buy!

Dave. ya not supposed to have different brands really but the bike they are on is a v-twin streetbike not a sports bike so no real problem (they are both bias ply. you should never mix bias and radial).

Visions....As for the IRC's if you are looking for a hard wearing tyre that you know will take an age to warm up then the Irc is ok (so sez people that have ridden them). If on the other hand you want a tyre that will give you lots of grip then stay WELL AWAY.

Visions....As for the IRC's if you are looking for a hard wearing tyre that you know will take an age to warm up then the Irc is ok (so sez people that have ridden them). If on the other hand you want a tyre that will give you lots of grip then stay WELL AWAY.

Thanks for the info. I need replacement tires on my bike now also...... Not sure what to go for as I read on here that a set of Pirelis on a CBR 150 were cut out in 7000Km thats only 2 months for me, pretty expensive grip!! Better than losing it in braking or cornering tho sure But so far.....(luck doesnt last forever) I havent lost it with the stock IRCs anyway...had a few slides tho, and lucky enuf to catch it ok. the stock tires have done 30,000km now and I dont expect to get that from a better gripping tire, but 7000 is a bit low.

Thanks for the info. I need replacement tires on my bike now also...... Not sure what to go for as I read on here that a set of Pirelis on a CBR 150 were cut out in 7000Km thats only 2 months for me, pretty expensive grip!! Better than losing it in braking or cornering tho sure But so far.....(luck doesnt last forever) I havent lost it with the stock IRCs anyway...had a few slides tho, and lucky enuf to catch it ok. the stock tires have done 30,000km now and I dont expect to get that from a better gripping tire, but 7000 is a bit low.

One thing to consider; both the CBR and the Ninja have stock IRC tyres. The only time I exceeded the grip on the CBR's to the point the paint side wasn't right side up was around a wet corner on the go-kart track behind Seacon square. On the other hand I've managed to drop the Ninja a *cough*couple*cough* of times; in addition to having the rear actually step out on my whilst passing another bike at like 45 kph (only time I had the CBR squirelly was leaned full over around a U-turn). My point being (other than the fact that I was not riding within my confidence on the Ninja--for whatever reason) is there's a wide range of compounds in a manufacturer's line-up; and while I have much more confidence in the CBR's compound than the Ninja's, I'd still recommend you going with a 'long-lasting' tyre from Pirelli....

One thing to consider; both the CBR and the Ninja have stock IRC tyres. The only time I exceeded the grip on the CBR's to the point the paint side wasn't right side up was around a wet corner on the go-kart track behind Seacon square. On the other hand I've managed to drop the Ninja a *cough*couple*cough* of times; in addition to having the rear actually step out on my whilst passing another bike at like 45 kph (only time I had the CBR squirelly was leaned full over around a U-turn). My point being (other than the fact that I was not riding within my confidence on the Ninja--for whatever reason) is there's a wide range of compounds in a manufacturer's line-up; and while I have much more confidence in the CBR's compound than the Ninja's, I'd still recommend you going with a 'long-lasting' tyre from Pirelli....

Worth noting that the CBR150 and Ninja 250R use different model IRC tires. Personally I never had any problems with the IRCs and was able to ride them edge to edge. Sure there are much better tires out there- you just have to decide what kind of riding you do and buy accordingly. Just have to make sure the IRCs are warmed up and NEVER push them on a wet road.

Has anyone tried these IRC tires? Presumably made here, but not sure if available here or not?

RX-01.jpg

Exact same tyres on the Ninja 250R and utter rubbish (IMHO).

Same rubish comes stock on the D-Tracker, worst tyres i ever had, from far.

IRC has a new set of track tires out that are meant for track use, front and back for two sets is 7000 baht, and there really nice and round.

Yeah, its a real b#stard when you try and fit the square ones :)

You can get Pirelli Sport Demon 140/70-17 for 3,000 baht, with a better quality. We normally have 130/70-17 but out of stock.

For further info pls see www.pirelli.in.th or call me Charlie 0890038886

post-86234-073048600 1276589725_thumb.jp

Re Pirelli tyres.....

I have to say, I have just bought a set of Pirelli tyres from Charlie...very very good service. I emailed to her to confirm availability price etc. I did an ATM transfer that evening. The tyres were on the bus ( I live in Rayong) and delivered to me the following working day. (Monday) Tuesday on the bike, and done 120km already!

I spent 3 weeks trying to get suitable tyres from 2 local dealers with no luck......"cant get" was the answer

Charlie did a great job of delivering a good service!

I also have a Katana GSX400, mine is a 93 model.

Where do you get your tires from??

Many thanks

Bike is a '92 Katana 400, a GSXR400 engine in a retro style chassis made for the Jap market.

Must admit, hadn't thought about the export zone tax angle.

• 7 months later...

I drove the Bridgestone Battlax on my old XJR, but they got hard as stone after a while.

Now I am driving the new Pirelli Angel ST for about one year and are really satisfied with it.

The best tire I ever had on a bike. I can highly recommend them.